Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97643 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #1425: April 12, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »
Chinese take-out day at work.  What should I get?  Tired of the General Tso's chicken every time.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1426: April 12, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
Sesame chicken and dumplings

Anyone ever eaten at the 4 Seasons in DC?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1427: April 12, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
Chinese take-out day at work.  What should I get?  Tired of the General Tso's chicken every time.

Da-Cheng chicken is my standard

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1428: April 12, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »

Hunan Chicken or Shrimp.  Or Dim Sum if you can find it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1429: April 12, 2012, 10:50:58 PM »
I already ordered.  I got the General Tso's Chicken.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1430: April 14, 2012, 12:13:37 AM »
Vile.  Bluch.  Deep fried ass.  Yarf.

I already ordered.  I got the General Tso's Chicken.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1431: April 14, 2012, 12:46:31 AM »
Seriously, tell me you guys have heard of pickled red beet eggs.  Dude at work looked at me like I was crazy.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #1432: April 14, 2012, 12:47:43 AM »
Of course. Not quite haute cuisine, but some bars in NY have them.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1433: April 14, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »
Don't matter if they are it aren't, they're delicious.  We make ours with sugar so they have a sweetness to them, and the beets are the best part IMO.

Now what about fried chicken livers, gizzards, and my favorite, fried chicken hearts :az: :az: :az:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #1434: April 14, 2012, 01:38:54 AM »
All delicious; I make them myself. Lots of garlic!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1435: April 14, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »
I haven't, but I love beets. Beet salads seem to be on every menu nowadays and they are delicious.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1436: April 14, 2012, 08:12:37 AM »
Seriously, tell me you guys have heard of pickled red beet eggs.  Dude at work looked at me like I was crazy.

We have some in the fridge right now! nom nom kitteh!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1437: April 14, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

Not a fan at all of pickled eggs, but my grandma supposedly makes some of the world's best. I wouldn't know :lol:

• babble on
« Reply #1438: April 14, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »
Just ate some (with Sriracha, natch)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1439: April 15, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »
off to the cheesecake factory with my dad.  he's the mayor there.  He eats there at least twice, often 3 times a week, which is something since he only eats 2 meals a day.  It's more or less keeping him alive.  Every waiter is on a first name basis with him.  I get him gift cards for his meals.  they take care of him.  When I am visiting, he goes there even more frequently, and I put on weight.

• babble on
« Reply #1440: April 15, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »
Do they serve anything other than cheesecake?

off to the cheesecake factory with my dad.  he's the mayor there.  He eats there at least twice, often 3 times a week, which is something since he only eats 2 meals a day.  It's more or less keeping him alive.  Every waiter is on a first name basis with him.  I get him gift cards for his meals.  they take care of him.  When I am visiting, he goes there even more frequently, and I put on weight.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1441: April 15, 2012, 09:19:06 PM »
Do they serve anything other than cheesecake?

It's a full menu restaurant.   

• babble on
« Reply #1442: April 15, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
hence the name

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1444: April 15, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »

it's a 50 page menu that requires a half hour to read.  Then you get two meals for the price of one.

• babble on
« Reply #1445: April 15, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »
Went to a place at 14th & P called "Commissary" today...pretty good, except by the time I got through the brunch tome, brunch was over.  I ordered the first thing I saw on the happy hour tome so that it wouldn't expire too. 

it's a 50 page menu that requires a half hour to read.  Then you get two meals for the price of one.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1446: April 16, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »
the Banana Cafe in Eastern Market is absurdly good. I had brunch there two days in a row :az:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #1447: April 18, 2012, 12:53:44 AM »
Interesting rankings on hot sauce from Cooks. The comment 'hekhsher' refers to kosher certification.

From Cooks Illustrated.

I found it interesting that the old stand-by, Tabasco, is “Not Recommended.”

Sriracha Has a hekhsher, though not O-U

Product Tested
 Sodium (per teaspoon)
 Ingredients
 Price*

Highly Recommended

Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce

Despite its unconventionally thick consistency and sweeter profile, this squeeze-bottle condiment (which we threw into the mix as a ringer) impressed tasters with its “full,” “rich,” “bright” heat. We even enjoyed its heavier body in Buffalo sauce; several tasters remarked that it coated the chicken “perfectly.”
 100 mg
 Chile [red jalapeño], sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate, sodium bisulfite, xanthan gum
 $4.29 for 17 oz (25 cents per oz)

Highly Recommended

Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce

“Hello, Frank!” said one taster, who recognized this ­familiar-tasting condiment as the base for the original Buffalo sauce ­recipe. In both applications, it struck a perfect balance between ­tanginess and “tomatoey sweetness,” with heat that “wasn’t too hot” and “added to the food rather than overpowering it.”
 190 mg
 Aged cayenne red peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, garlic powder
 $2.29 for 12 oz (19 cents per oz)

Recommended

Original Louisiana Hot Sauce

Even with just three ingredients, this sauce had a “­complex,” “balanced” profile and “mild punch.” A few tasters even picked up on “smoky,” “roasted” notes with “a pleasant fruitiness.” Its sodium content was at least double or even triple the amount found in most other brands.
 240 mg
 Peppers [cayenne], vinegar, salt
 $0.99 for 6 oz (17 cents per oz)

Recommended

Tapatío Salsa Picante

Several tasters noted that this Mexican condiment ­delivered a “smoky” sweetness that reminded them of barbecue sauce or even Worcestershire sauce. Most of us agreed that the warm spice ­flavor is unusual for Buffalo sauce but not necessarily unwelcome.
 110 mg
 Water, red peppers [undisclosed], salt, spices, garlic, acetic acid, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate.
 $1.95 for 10 oz (20 cents per oz)

Recommended

Texas Pete Hot Sauce

When eating it straight up over rice, tasters found this bright red sauce “pleasingly hot and spicy,” with a burn that “builds and lingers.” A few tasters felt that the heat petered out a little once the condiment was mixed into Buffalo sauce, turning this hot sauce into a “milder,” more “ketchup-y” version of Frank’s.
 100 mg
 Red peppers [3 undisclosed types], salt, xanthan gum, benzoate of soda.
 $1.55 for 12 oz (13 cents per oz)

Recommended

Valentina Salsa Picante

For a low-salt sauce, this Mexican sample boasted surprising “complexity.” That’s probably due to the use of dried chiles and spices that gave it a “smoky,” “sweet,” “tomatoey” taste. However, lots of character meant that it lacked the “universal ­applicability” that some tasters preferred, and a few found it “dusty.”
 64 mg
 Water, chile peppers [dried puya and serrano], vinegar, salt, spices, 0.1% sodium benzoate
 $1.39 for 12.5 oz (11 cents per oz)

Recommended

El Yucateco Salsa Picante Roja de Chile Habanero

This habanero-based sauce was “mouth-meltingly” hot but also “sweet,” thanks to the addition of a little tomato. Those who liked it praised its “earthy, almost fruity” flavor, but others felt that it was out of place on Buffalo chicken.
 90 mg
 Water, habanero pepper, tomato, salt, spices, acetic acid, xanthan gum, citric acid, sodium benzoate, FD&C red No. 40, calcium disodium EDTA
 $2.69 for 4 oz (67 cents per oz)

Recommended with Reservations

Cholula Hot Sauce, Original

Some tasters appreciated this Mexican sauce’s “sweet” flavor and “mild smokiness,” but others were unimpressed. Criticisms revolved around its low salt content, which a few tasters felt rendered the sauce “washed out.” “I’m bored,” said one taster.
 85 mg
 Water, peppers (arbol and piquin), salt, vinegar, spices, xanthan gum
 $3.69 for 5 oz (74 cents per oz)

Not Recommended

Tabasco Pepper Sauce

Thanks to its high amount of vinegar and skimpy ­measure of salt, this top-selling hot sauce sank to the bottom of the chart. Tasters described it as “flavorless,” “vinegary,” “out of balance”—even “vile.” Its consistency was off, too, saturating rather than saucing the chicken. (Tabasco also sells Buffalo Style Hot Sauce; we didn’t test it since we were looking for an all-purpose product.)
 35 mg
 Distilled vinegar, red peppers [tabasco], salt
 $3.49 for 5 oz (70 cents per oz)

*Prices subject to change.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1448: April 18, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »
Tobasco has been made essentially the same way for a very long time- the ingediants are vinegar red peppers and salt. Other are more stable thanks to xanthan gum

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1449: May 10, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
Does anyone know if they sell individually wrapped pats of butter at the grocery store?