Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 74123 times)

Offline RD

Re: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch
« Reply #450: August 10, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »
As long as we get the top 4 signed, its a success. Even if Turnbull doesn't sign - for whatever reason his deal is. Turnbull will be 22 in September. If he heads to Oregon, he will be 23 during his first full season of pro ball, with only 1 year of college experience(as opposed to a college senior, who is somewhat polished and experienced). Not a good move for him dragging it out this long, but definitely even worse if he doesn't sign.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #451: August 10, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »
Houston:  So you're a Rice Alum?  Awesome.  I know sometimes colleges will set up private mailboxes and such for certain athletes/celebs on campus.  I am not sure about Rice specifically, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Rice baseball players organize "baseball houses" where 5-6 teammates get a house off-campus and live there, so he probably got his mail there. A notable exception is Ryan Berry, now playing A-ball for the Orioles, who lived in a dorm on campus every year.

OK, so Rendon, Hague, and I think Mozingo are three of the four.  Who is the other one?  I'll have to cheat somehow and look it up, or just check that training table :)

Catcher/1B J.P. Padron played a couple seasons and was released. Hit .192 in rookie ball, unfortunately. :(

Offline RD

« Reply #452: August 10, 2011, 07:23:41 PM »
From that TCU website linked earlier(for those that didnt sign up):

- Matt Purke, according to several sources, is still expected to sign with the Nationals by Sunday evening.

All summer, I have gotten the same news, a quick phone call today produced the same story line.

Nationals GM Mike Rizzo is not scared of spending money, and with a huge draft budget he can get all of his top 4 picks into the organization, no problem.

I took Matt off my projected 2012 roster a couple weeks back, due to several reasons including...

- He has already taken a physical and the Nationals reportedly came out with zero concerns over his shoulder.

- Sources around the Nationals team indicated that they picked Matt for one simple reason: They knew they could sign him, and they will.

No doubt we will have to wait until at least Sunday for news. When Sunday comes, expect to see the following...

- A deal will be announced late in the day, for between $2.2 - $2.8 million. The major factor will be the final bonus demands of the three Nationals picks ahead of Matt, all of which are Scott Boras clients.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #453: August 10, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »
That is really specific. Maybe because it's not supposed to be read by the public?
That is also optimistic - both in the signing aspect and the low price tag.

I gotta say, if Purke signs, and if Purke and Rendon are healthy, we ran away with this draft. We basically could sign two No 1 picks.

Offline RD

« Reply #454: August 10, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »
Less than $3mill would really surprise me, but it would be awesome news.f

If he's as good as he was last year, we're looking at Strasburg, Purke, and Zimmermann as our front three. That would be ridiculous. A lefty with his stuff slotted between the two righties is about as good a situation as can be expected.

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #455: August 10, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »
I watched Alex Meyer's last few starts, and I think he's a steal at 23.  He was throwing mid-to-high 90s with a nasty, late breaking slider.  He was repeating his delivery well and not walking many, despite what I thought was a very tight strike zone. 

What is scary is he only really started working out last year.  He could still add a lot of weight to his thin frame.  So you could be looking at even greater velocity.  Also, this is a guy who is 6'9", so it feels like he's right in front of you when he releases that ball, thus making the fastball seem even faster. 

I've seen video of Goodwin.  He has impressive tools.  His arm was what surprised me the most.  He can really run as well.  I'm not a scout, but he reminds me of Ellsbury in terms of tools.  Not as fast, but more power potential IMO ( More than your typical Ellsbury, not counting this season).

We'll see if these guys sign, stay healthy and how they develop, but it could go down as one of the best drafts in history.  Skole looks like a great pick.  Taylor Hill looked really good in a start I saw, although he is older.

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #456: August 10, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »
That is really specific. Maybe because it's not supposed to be read by the public?
That is also optimistic - both in the signing aspect and the low price tag.

I gotta say, if Purke signs, and if Purke and Rendon are healthy, we ran away with this draft. We basically could sign two No 1 picks.

Purke and Rendon would have been my top 2 if healthy, although Starling has ridiculous upside.  I hear Dylan Bundy does as well.

Offline RD

« Reply #457: August 10, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »
Forgot to add, that was Tuesday nights update.

Wednesday's update just states that he is still hearing the same news.

Offline RD

« Reply #458: August 10, 2011, 08:35:20 PM »
If we get those 4 signed, this draft could be as important as landing Strasburg and Harper the past 2 years.

Going into the year, there were three elite players and cut above the rest. Gerrit Cole, Anthony Rendon, and Matt Purke.

If you ranked them in terms of our needs, Purke and Rendon clearly become the top two players in the draft for us. A frontline lefty and excellent bat fit more than another righty.

Ive been a Purke guy all along. Adding him would be a 'dream' scenario for me. But adding Rendon is something I never even considered a possibility. In all our talks about Purke, Bauer, Hultzen, etc Rendon's name never came up. It was a foregone conclusion he'd be off the board. To have him fall AND get Purke? We're looking damn good if we can get them all signed. I don't want to get ahead of myself, cuz there is still time for players to change their minds, demands to change, etc but Im pumped about the direction we're going in! Big league club playing better, minor league prime talent and depth has changed drastically in the past 3 years.

Offline RD

« Reply #459: August 11, 2011, 02:30:19 AM »
So whats up with Kendall Rogers? Says this am he'll have a Purke update tonight(wednesday), and as of yet, nothing's come out?

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #460: August 11, 2011, 07:56:29 AM »
So whats up with Kendall Rogers? Says this am he'll have a Purke update tonight(wednesday), and as of yet, nothing's come out?
http://www.perfectgame.org/Forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=5598

It's probably in this forum under a topic called "Signing Deadline Whispers".  You have to subscribe. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #461: August 11, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »
FungoFrogTCU's late-night tweets stitched together:

Nationals have been making in roads with Purke this week, as I reported last month, the biggest difference is the desire of both sides to find a deal, and Matt's # will be much more flexible this year. Expect that to probably get done late, but big thing is this. Nat's officials expect to get it done, TCU isn't hopeful he will return. Just too many factors in play for Matt to turn down what could be a $2-3 million deal. Feel free to hope, there is a chance but it isn't better than 30/70 for TCU fans now. Still a good team for 2012 minus Cron/Purke, but it will also hurt, BIG.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #462: August 11, 2011, 08:25:40 AM »
Purke and Rendon would have been my top 2 if healthy, although Starling has ridiculous upside.  I hear Dylan Bundy does as well.

Bundy :az:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #463: August 11, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
Bundy :az:
Kelly, :az: , Peggy, not so much (but we love her as Leila).

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #464: August 11, 2011, 09:54:45 AM »
A lot of Nats stuff in the latest BA Chat, here are the draft related comments:

John (Richmond, VA.): Any Nats news? I am reading rumors that the Purke talks are going well. I have also read, per Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, that they haven't given up on Hawtin Buchanon. Thank you.

John Manuel: I think Purke will not sign, and I like Buchanan as a nice consolation prize.

Dan (DC): The stories keep circulating that Purke has passed his Nats checkup and has been observed by the Nats at all his workouts. Odds that he signs.

John Manuel: Answered before about Purke, but main thing here is, of course the Nats are at all his workouts; why wouldn't they be? And if you have any hope of signing a guy at the deadline who has had physical issues, you want to give the guy a physical. You can't exactly drop in at the deadline and do that at the last minute. What would make me optimistic about signing Purke, if I were a Nats fan, is Rizzo's track record. That guy is not afraid to spend on talent. Scouting director Kris Kline's track record ain't shabby either, he was area scout that signed John Lackey for the Angels back when Lackey was better known as a slugging 1B for Grayson County CC.

BA has been skeptic of us signing Purke from the beginning but I really doubt Rizzo drafted Purke that high without the intent on making a big push to sign him.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #465: August 11, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »
A lot of Nats stuff in the latest BA Chat, here are the draft related comments:

BA has been skeptic of us signing Purke from the beginning but I really doubt Rizzo drafted Purke that high without the intent on making a big push to sign him.

There are a number of reasons that people can dislike Rizzo, but it won't be because he doesn't get his drafted players signed. While are farm system may not be an elite system yet, it's well on it's way to becoming one. A lot of that has to do with how poorly we've played over the last 6 years, more recently, it has to do with drafting well and getting kids signed. For that, good job Rizzo!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #466: August 11, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »
That's why he should be the Scouting Director... just saying!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #467: August 11, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »
as much as i want purke and the other stud draft picks to sign, it'd be funny to hear LANC's reaction if we don't spend on draft picks AND on marquee FAs this offseason.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #468: August 11, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »
I think Purke wants to pitch in the same rotation as Strasburg. I'll tell you what, I don't blame him.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #469: August 11, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
as much as i want purke and the other stud draft picks to sign, it'd be funny to hear LANC's reaction if we don't spend on draft picks AND on marquee FAs this offseason.

Too bad you won't get to hear that reaction. :)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #470: August 11, 2011, 06:06:05 PM »
Too bad you won't get to hear that reaction. :)

yeah sure. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #471: August 11, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
I doubt anyone here is a Lerner fan as opposed to a Nats fan.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #472: August 11, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »
yeah sure. 

Avatar bet. Winner gets a hot babe avatar chosen by Berkeley. Loser gets a hot babe avatar chosen by PA. :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #473: August 11, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
I doubt anyone here is a Lerner fan as opposed to a Nats fan.

you'd be surprised 8)

but the deadline is nearing, hope we get deals done.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #474: August 11, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »
sign purke