Poll

Should Detwiler (1.59 era) keep his rotation spot when Wang returns

Yes, he earned it
59 (93.7%)
No, Wang was really good in 2007
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Should Detwiler (1.59 era) keep his rotation spot when Wang returns  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Can you link me to an article?  I can't find anything except stuff that reaffirms what I'd remembered, which is that there wasn't clear evidence for four vs. five man rotations (but there may be some for three).

Umm, I'm looking but I can only find Little League guidelines. I know the UVA pitching coach (Kuhn) teaches 72 hours rest for 72 pitches. That doesn't contradict the follow-up article to the one you posted, which I personally found more interesting:

But this also explains why working on three days' rest may not be any more dangerous than working on four days' rest, because there is no evidence - absolutely none - that a pitcher needs a fourth day off to reach a maximum state of rest. I've searched the medical literature for any study that measures a pitchers' resting strength following a start, and such a study doesn't exist. No one has gotten around to measuring whether, to return to full strength, a starting pitcher ought to rest his arm for 3 days, or for 3 hours, or for 3 weeks. The move to a five-man rotation is simply not based on hard medical evidence.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1605

He says that throwing more frequently but with lower pitch counts is the way to go. Of course, this was over a decade ago...