Author Topic: Nats 2013 Projected Payroll, Needs, and Possible Solutions  (Read 7008 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Re: the catching carousel (merged)
« Reply #100: August 27, 2012, 09:24:47 AM »
They don't need an OF'er. They have Crawford, Kemp and Either locked up for years to come.

They need a platoon for Ethier. $85M doesn't go as far as it used to.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
so is this basically just a really early 2012/2013 offseason thread?  If it is then let it be known that I want whatever big name cuban defector hits the market.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
I know it's not a sexy move but I wouldn't mind see us sign Angel Pagan through 2014 as a lead off man/CF until Goodwin is ready. That way we have our bases covered if LaRoche leaves in FA or we decide to trade Morse (preferably for bullpen help and a decent prospect or two).

Starting Lineup: Pagan,CF/Harper,LF/Zim,3B/LaRoche,1B/Werth,RF/Desmond,SS/Espy,2B/Ramos,C

Bench: Tracy, 3B/1B; Moore, 1B/LF; Lombo, Util; Shark, OF;  Suzuki, C

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
torii hunter could be a nice pick up. he's quietly hitting .300 with 15 homers.  Could be a beltran like free agent signing.  Over the hill vet with some still left in the tank.  He could probably also be had on just a one year deal so Goodwin could replace him in 2014.

Offline MorseTheHorse

I'm not sure we have any needs.  Even on the bench.  Just keep everyone from last year, and if Jackson walks replace him with Lannan. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
torii hunter could be a nice pick up. he's quietly hitting .300 with 15 homers.  Could be a beltran like free agent signing.  Over the hill vet with some still left in the tank.  He could probably also be had on just a one year deal so Goodwin could replace him in 2014.

wanted over the offseason. Wouldn't mind trading for him, but the contract is pretty hefty

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I think the only replacement would be DeRosa. Let him go and let Brown play. Otherwise, the Nats have a strong team, and will have Eury Perez and Destin Hood in AAA next year. Christian Garcia or the revived HRod? (I think Garcia...).

Harper is a good CF, and getting better. Bernadina is plenty good enough when Morse can't hit, and same for Tyler Moore. Lombo needs to play, but I don't know where.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
They are in the market for an outfielder or 1b if ALR does not re-sign.  Preferably a lefty.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Talk to me after the World Series.

Seriously, the most important part of the season is coming and it's a chance for some players (not just ours) to show how/if they should be part of the Nats future. So we'll see.

But I can't resist saying that Harper in CF is a good short term solution until Goodwin, Brown, or Perez wins the job. And I have a feeling that LaRoche is going to get some crazy contract and walk so Moore will get the 1B job. But we will then be a very righty lineup.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
yeah laroche is as good as gone.  i wouldn't mind penciling in moore at 1B next year but my ideal scenario would be to go after jose dariel abreu if he defects. 

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
To me, the first question is 1b.  If LaRoche is willing to take the option, then you do that.  If not, then you try for a two year-with-a-mutual-option third extension.  If that doesn't work, you let him go. 

If you let him go, you've got to find a lefty with some power.  Could be 1b, could be LF, could be RF.  Depending on where that comes from, you make a decision as to what you're doing with Morse/Moore.  Essentially, you've got two spots to play with on the field - LF and 1b, with Morse and/or Moore sliding into the other one.  If LaRoche doesn't come back, you need a lefty 20-ish HR guy to round out the lineup.  That's priority one.

For my part, I'm officially declaring the whale watch over.  We don't need leadoff/CF.  Harper's good in CF as your most-every-day starter, keeping Shark as a 4th OF and Werth as leadoff is just fine.  If somebody like Parra or Span falls into your lap for one of your extra pieces (Morse/Moore + Lannan?) then fine, but otherwise, it's not worth the effort.

EJ has to be replaced, either a. with EJ, or b. with somebody nearly as good.  The FA list is really uninspiring after EJ and Greinke next year, but this has to be (along with LaRoche) the most important off-season move. 

It's easy to forget now, but the only reason the Nats are where they are is that the rotation was otherworldly in April/May.  The offense struggled mightily and the rotation made our paltry run production stand up - 11 games in April and May we scored three runs or less and won.  If we just go 5-6 in those games, we're suddenly neck-and-neck with the Braves this year.    The whole team's success is predicated on having dominant starting pitching.  The rotation has hid a lot of flaws this year - not resigning EJ or bringing in Greinke or somebody of that caliber is a major mistake, in my view.

So my offseason priority list:

1. Resign LaRoche (Wow). Or find a lefty bat to replace him in LF or 1b.  One crazy thought:  Wonder what it would cost to get Hosmer or Gordon from the Royals?  Would you do Rosenbaum, Brown and Lombo?
2. Resign EJ or sign Greinke.   
3. Figure out Morse vs. Moore.  Once you've resolved LaRoche, it's time to figure out what to do with these guys, who are pretty similar.  One of them is your LF/1b to go with whatever lefty you found for LaRoche, the other one is good trade fodder.
4. Patch up the bench.  A DeRosa replacement and a backup MI are needed.  Suzuki and Ramos are a platoon, Tracy leads the goons, Shark/Brown is the 4th OF, with the other one being a possible trade piece.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
1. Resign LaRoche (Wow). Or find a lefty bat to replace him in LF or 1b.  One crazy thought:  Wonder what it would cost to get Hosmer or Gordon from the Royals?  Would you do Rosenbaum, Brown and Lombo?

the Royals ARE NOT trading Hosmer.  Gordon would look good in the 2 hole for us next year though.  Werth-Gordon as a 1-2 R-L puch would look great.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Mets could trade Ike Davis.  I'd take him as a LaRoche replacement.  Then sign an outfielder like Bourn, BJ Upton, or Victorino.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
No to any center fielder - Bryce is pretty much elite at that position now and will only get better

As for 1st base - Easiest thing to do is resign LaRoche (if he's willing)

Offline Hogie

Even if there are no new starting everyday players brought in, you're talking about a 96-100 win team adding:

Experience
A 20-year-old Bryce Harper season
A 220-inning Strasburg
And hopefully a lot less major injuries (Ramos, Werth, Morse, Desmond, Zim)

Sometimes the best moves are not making any major moves and keeping the payroll extremely flexible.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Strasburg won't be a 220 inning guy next year.

Real question is what to do with Jackson. If they don't 're-sign him, who replaces him? Lannan?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Strasburg won't be a 220 inning guy next year.

Real question is what to do with Jackson. If they don't 're-sign him, who replaces him? Lannan?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Davey said he was toying with the idea of Garcia being a starter but I don't know if he'd actually do it. Kinda seems like a long shot.

Offline Clever

Davey said he was toying with the idea of Garcia being a starter but I don't know if he'd actually do it. Kinda seems like a long shot.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think Garcia will get a 6th-7th inning role next year depending on Burnett's health effectiveness. You'll have to figure he'll be slotted behind Storen, Clippard, Mattheus, and potentially Stammen in 2013.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think Garcia will get a 6th-7th inning role next year depending on Burnett's health effectiveness. You'll have to figure he'll be slotted behind Storen, Clippard, Mattheus, and potentially Stammen in 2013.

Gotta agree. But I do wonder who we replace with Jackson if we don't pick him up for a second year. I don't want to drop a ton of money for ANOTHER #1-2 pitcher when that money could go towards other positions and contracts. We already have Stras/Gio/JZimm/Det who all sit firmly between  being #1-3 pitchers with two of them being legitimate aces.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
I don't want Laroche back on a multi year deal but I think we will need a lefty bat to replace him as our lineup would be very righty heavy without him.  Davis would be a nice addition.  I wouldn't mind trading for him or headley to play first and bat cleanup.  Then we could deal morse for another starter that we could plug into the 5 spot.  Maybe to Oakland for one of their many many young arms.  Maybe milone plus pat neshak for our bullpen?  Lastly, a good lefty that can play left and bat 2nd would be great.  Someone like melky or or alex gordon would look great sandwitched between werth and zimmerman next year.

Offline Clever

I will just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Good, thorough post. Although some will say "Focus on this year, wait until offseason!".......

+1

Offline Count Walewski

Even if there are no new starting everyday players brought in, you're talking about a 96-100 win team adding:

Experience
A 20-year-old Bryce Harper season
A 220-inning Strasburg
And hopefully a lot less major injuries (Ramos, Werth, Morse, Desmond, Zim)

Sometimes the best moves are not making any major moves and keeping the payroll extremely flexible.

Ask the 2003 Anaheim Angels what happens when a good team makes no major moves in the offseason.

Offline DPMOmaha

Ask the 2003 Anaheim Angels what happens when a good team makes no major moves in the offseason.

I don't think these things work in a vacuum.  Braves didn't make any major moves last year and already got further than they did last year.  With the young core of talent, making a move for the sake of making a move is as silly as not addressing a need.  This team shouldn't need a significant splash in the offseason.

And, btw, if the Nats win the World Series, take a couple of steps back next year and then find themselves in the playoffs 5 of the next 6 years, we'll have nothing to complain about.  (which won't necessarily stop people from doing it anyway...)