Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16152 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Running thread..
« Reply #100: November 06, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
Neon shirt- target has champion ones for pretty cheap

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #101: November 06, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
It's the near-barefoot aspect that I was concerned about. It feels so good when you first do it that you tend to way, way overdo it.
For the first 3 or 4 months, I walked 2 miles every evening.   One day, I ran about 100 yards and almost fell out.    Now I can do several miles (even and non-life threatening pace) with no problem.   Trust your body.   It'll tell you how you're doing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #102: November 06, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
So...

How do you guys run during the week this time of year with so little light? I'm going to be heading into work early and ducking out early a couple times a week. I might be switching jobs sometime relatively soon so that could throw a wrench in my running schedule.

It sucks.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #103: November 06, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
So...

How do you guys run during the week this time of year with so little light? I'm going to be heading into work early and ducking out early a couple times a week. I might be switching jobs sometime relatively soon so that could throw a wrench in my running schedule.

I run around 3 AM.   It's always dark ... LOL.    However, I don't have to constantly watch for cars/traffic.    I know my "clock" is different (little sleep, love the morning, etc.) but it's what I prefer.    I get to work and my run is done.    However, I work in DC and one day I'd like to run the Mall.    Traffic doesn't concern me as much as all the yuppies in the daglo $500 running outfits might run me over ...  :)   I don't understand the stretching at every corner.   I've thought about falling in behind the Marines from 8th and I or the Old Guard doin' the shuffle.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #104: November 06, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »
Yeah. The other day I'm running with the dog after dark. he's all heads/ears/nose up. Hear shuffling to my left in the woods. Car coming in the other direction. 20 yards in front of me  it hits a deer. Small car, partly alive deer. The lady turns around (more to make sure it was dead and to make a call if it wasn't) when another car comes careening along - even with the first driver's flashers on - and manages to kill, then high-center, on this buck. She manages to back off this now completely dead deer.

Worse part is I think I flushed it. I'm not sure I want to run at night anymore, at least not with the dog. :(

I run around 3 AM.   It's always dark ... LOL.    However, I don't have to constantly watch for cars/traffic.    I know my "clock" is different (little sleep, love the morning, etc.) but it's what I prefer.    I get to work and my run is done.    However, I work in DC and one day I'd like to run the Mall.    Traffic doesn't concern me as much as all the yuppies in the daglo $500 running outfits might run me over ...  :)   I don't understand the stretching at every corner.   I've thought about falling in behind the Marines from 8th and I or the Old Guard doin' the shuffle.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #105: November 06, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »
I'm.... I don't think I..... what???

Offline mitlen

« Reply #106: November 06, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Yeah. The other day I'm running with the dog after dark. he's all heads/ears/nose up. Hear shuffling to my left in the woods. Car coming in the other direction. 20 yards in front of me  it hits a deer. Small car, partly alive deer. The lady turns around (more to make sure it was dead and to make a call if it wasn't) when another car comes careening along - even with the first driver's flashers on - and manages to kill, then high-center, on this buck. She manages to back off this now completely dead deer.

Worse part is I think I flushed it. I'm not sure I want to run at night anymore, at least not with the dog. :(

Wait 'til you run into one of them in the middle of your path.   I thought I'd crap.    Only thing worse is running into a skunk.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #107: November 06, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
I don't love deer, but I feel awful about this.
I'm.... I don't think I..... what???

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #108: November 06, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
Been there. Fortunately, I have a quarter mile to the park, then it's pretty open and they can hear me huffing.

Wait 'til you run into one of them in the middle of your path.   I thought I'd crap.    Only thing worse is running into a skunk.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #109: November 06, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
Been there. Fortunately, I have a quarter mile to the park, then it's pretty open and they can hear me huffing.

I was running down a road and I could see what I thought were 3 dogs in the road.   I thought, "Damn, those are some big dogs."   :)     Thank goodness they took off into the woods.    It sure gets the juices flowin'.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #110: November 06, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
Probably better that they were deer then dogs. Unless they were bucks and it was rutting season. They get freaking ugly.

Halfsmokes, this is a great video by a well respected barefoot running coach, Lee Saxby.

I was running down a road and I could see what I thought were 3 dogs in the road.   I thought, "Damn, those are some big dogs."   :)     Thank goodness they took off into the woods.    It sure gets the juices flowin'.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #111: November 06, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »
Probably better that they were deer then dogs. Unless they were bucks and it was rutting season. They get freaking ugly.

Halfsmokes, this is a great video by a well respected barefoot running coach, Lee Saxby.

At this time of year, I certainly think about the bucks.   Deer, generally, can cause an awful lot of damage.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #112: November 06, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »

thanks, I appreciate it.

I've never run into deer, but we have neighborhood foxes that make appearances

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #113: November 06, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »

I run before work when the sun rises early. I prefer it, honestly. Feel great all day.

I need a little bit of light, though.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #114: November 06, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »

Wife and I watched the video ... very interesting.     Hate to talk about price but how much for those "shoes"?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #115: November 06, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #116: November 06, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »
They range, but most start at around $~100

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/search_Mens-Barefoot-Shoes____

Thanks ...     I don't usually pay more than $59 for shoes but I might have to check these out.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #117: November 06, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
I don't love deer, but I feel awful about this.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH.  I didn't quite understand at first about the "flushing" thing but then it fawn dawned on me.  sorry

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #118: November 07, 2011, 07:01:20 AM »
Gout appears gone and the new time is going to help me get my exercise groove back.  Anyone know of a good place to buy new exercise shoes in Crystal City?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #119: November 07, 2011, 07:05:44 AM »
Gout appears gone and the new time is going to help me get my exercise groove back.  Anyone know of a good place to buy new exercise shoes in Crystal City?

the running shop in pentagon row is pretty good

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #120: November 07, 2011, 07:07:17 AM »
the running shop in pentagon row is pretty good

Serious question, because I run into this with bike shops, they're not anti-fat are they? 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #121: November 07, 2011, 07:09:16 AM »
Serious question, because I run into this with bike shops, they're not anti-fat are they? 

served me and my pregnant wife- with the amount of traffic they get, I think they are desperate enough to serve anyone, there is also HTO which has some shoes and little to no service 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #122: November 07, 2011, 05:51:39 PM »
Halfsmokes, thanks for the heads-up on the Vivo's at moosejaw.com. Bought a pair today. I'll let you know how they are when they get here (which will probably be a while - I took the free shipping option).

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #123: November 07, 2011, 06:25:57 PM »
My PT says if you get the toes kind of shoes, start slow with walking.  Your body and your feet are used to the padding of regular shoes.  If you start too fast you can really hurt yourself!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #124: November 08, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »
Missed two nights now because of work, damnit. But, I'm working from home tomorrow, so I'm out at sun-up for five miles. Assuming I can drag my ass out. I am badly un-motivated in the morning.