Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 25988 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #250: May 24, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »
On the MLB on XM show this morning there was a lengthy discussion of Manager of the Year in the NL so far, it came down to either Davey or Mattingly.  While I'm obviously biased, I think you'd have to give it to Davey given the injuries and the tougher competition in the NL East.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #251: May 24, 2012, 02:52:38 PM »
On the MLB on XM show this morning there was a lengthy discussion of Manager of the Year in the NL so far, it came down to either Davey or Mattingly.  While I'm obviously biased, I think you'd have to give it to Davey given the injuries and the tougher competition in the NL East.

+1.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #252: May 24, 2012, 03:16:44 PM »
Fredi González has an argument, and as much as I despise him, Ozzie Guillén has a bunch of head cases performing 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #253: May 24, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »
no matter what some delusional people on here think, most of the outside world are saying davey is a favorite at this point and they are absolutely right. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #254: May 24, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
no matter what some delusional people on here think, most of the outside world are saying davey is a favorite at this point and they are absolutely right. 
Every fanbase in baseball nages about their manager about the same things; "Bad bullpen management", "No feel for starting pitching", "Over reliance on veterans", "To much/little reliance on statistics", "Bad lineup management," etc.

Is what it is. I sit back and realize the guy has won at the highest level for a reason and he has forgotten more about baseball than any of us will ever know. Guys like Charlie Manuel, Fredi Gonzalez, and Dusty Baker will never out think Davey Johnson. If we give him equal talent he'll take that talent and kick their ass.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #255: May 24, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »
I really don't see what makes Davey the manager of the year. This was a .500 ball club last year without Strasburg and Zimmerman. You add Gio to that and, well, you get more wins. Davey's determination to use HRod as the closer despite his control issues alone should eliminate him from consideration

Seems more like Rizzo should be executive of the year for his moves.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #256: May 24, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
Every fanbase in baseball nages about their manager about the same things; "Bad bullpen management", "No feel for starting pitching", "Over reliance on veterans", "To much/little reliance on statistics", "Bad lineup management," etc.

Is what it is. I sit back and realize the guy has won at the highest level for a reason and he has forgotten more about baseball than any of us will ever know. Guys like Charlie Manuel, Fredi Gonzalez, and Dusty Baker will never out think Davey Johnson. If we give him equal talent he'll take that talent and kick their ass.

The HRod obsession is a bigger issue with the organization as a whole. In general, Davey clearly understands how to manage a pitching staff. This is something that guys like Riggleman never understood. Managing a pitching staff isn't playing push button manager and over managing in a game. It is understanding the development and needs of each pitcher, the fact that you manage for a season, not one game, and that guys pitchers perform best when they are not overused, know their role, and understand the situation they should expect to be brought into a game. Good managers don't simply let a game unfold and move pieces around complete ad hoc. They have guys prepared for their roles and situations and work to stay within that framework as best they can. That's why Davey blames himself when he ends up bringing a guy in a different time than originally expected. It's not a matter of rigidly sticking with a plan, but it is about managing players in certain ways over an extended season, and understanding that the game is a marathon, not a sprint.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #257: May 24, 2012, 04:51:19 PM »
Is what it is.

Please don't say that.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #258: May 24, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »

I am not posting anymore. I think I will just let smithian speak on my behalf. :mg:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #259: May 24, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
I really don't see what makes Davey the manager of the year. This was a .500 ball club last year without Strasburg and Zimmerman. You add Gio to that and, well, you get more wins.

Never mind those pesky injuries that have token away our 3,4,and 5 hitter for chunks of the year. And, oh, yeah, the closer has been lost for half the season. And the catcher is gone too...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #260: May 24, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »
The HRod obsession is a bigger issue with the organization as a whole. In general, Davey clearly understands how to manage a pitching staff. This is something that guys like Riggleman never understood. Managing a pitching staff isn't playing push button manager and over managing in a game. It is understanding the development and needs of each pitcher, the fact that you manage for a season, not one game, and that guys pitchers perform best when they are not overused, know their role, and understand the situation they should expect to be brought into a game. Good managers don't simply let a game unfold and move pieces around complete ad hoc. They have guys prepared for their roles and situations and work to stay within that framework as best they can. That's why Davey blames himself when he ends up bringing a guy in a different time than originally expected. It's not a matter of rigidly sticking with a plan, but it is about managing players in certain ways over an extended season, and understanding that the game is a marathon, not a sprint.

I am not posting anymore. I think I will just let ssb speak on my behalf.

8)

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #261: May 24, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »
I am not posting anymore. I think I will just let ssb speak on my behalf.

8)

Yeah, but he ain't got no finga gunz.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #262: May 24, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »
Never mind those pesky injuries that have token away our 3,4,and 5 hitter for chunks of the year. And, oh, yeah, the closer has been lost for half the season. And the catcher is gone too...

fortunately, we have a pitching staff that is near the top of the league in every category- credit to davey for his use of relievers, but this season's record is largely the result of great starting pitching

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #263: May 24, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »

I'd actually say that Mattingly has done a lot better job than Davey this year.  DJ's done really, mind you, but Mattingly does not have the starting rotation Davey does and has had just as many if not more injuries, including Kemp. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #264: May 24, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
Yeah, but he ain't got no finga gunz.

True, but he's got great seats not too far from the Nats dugout and welcomes out of section visitors who support him on the forum.     :lol:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #265: May 24, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »
True, but he's got great seats not too far from the Nats dugout and welcomes out of section visitors who support him on the forum.     :lol:

Like I said, ssb really speaks for all of us. :lol:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #266: May 24, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »

Number 3 hitter was replaced rather nicely by the utility infielder. Number 4 hitter was out for, what? 5 games? Number 5 hitter ... okay. How many games has he lost us by INSISTING that Nady/Bernadina play and not Moore or Lombo?

Closer? Yeah, his solution was to put in HRod. If Burnett were closing, probably would have two more wins

Catcher? Honestly, Flores may be the better catcher at this point. What Wilson gains with his bat, he loses due to his inability to hang on to the freaking ball on plays at the plate.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #267: May 24, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
I really don't see what makes Davey the manager of the year. This was a .500 ball club last year without Strasburg and Zimmerman. You add Gio to that and, well, you get more wins. Davey's determination to use HRod as the closer despite his control issues alone should eliminate him from consideration

the answer is simple ... you're slateman.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #268: May 25, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »
Maybe some perspective:

Compare the 1925 team with this one. The '25 team won its 27th game on June 1, to reach 27 - 15. Bucky Harris, player-manager, had had no serious injuries. His regular lineup had future Hall of Famers in CF and LF, and that game was started and won by Walter Johnson. In addition to the HOF-bound Sam Rice (.366 BA .862 OPS) and Goose Goslin (.355 + 1.011 OPS), Bucky had Joe Judge at 1B hitting .293 with .910 OPS, young Ossie Bluege at 3B hitting .302, Muddy Ruel, the catcher hitting .292, and the pitcher, yes, Johnson himself, going 2-for-3 batting .472. Bucky was hitting .275 and Roger Peckinpaugh, the old SS, was hitting .285.

No injuries. An equivalent to Davey's situation might have had Goose Goslin out with a stressed shoulder muscle, Bluege out a couple of weeks with a bad shoulder, Judge out for a week or so, Ruel out for the year, and Sam Rice down and out with a broken wrist. Fred Marberry would not have thrown in a game yet.

Davey has managed this team close to the track of a Washington bench-mark pennant-winner, and this team has had an unreasonable number of injuries.

Take a look at the Bucky Harris team, box-score, at http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA192506010.shtml

Offline Fan037

« Reply #269: May 25, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »
I'd give it to Davey with an assist from Harper.  Ever since that kid arrived, everybody seems fired up!

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #270: May 26, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
Number 3 hitter was replaced rather nicely by the utility infielder. Number 4 hitter was out for, what? 5 games? Number 5 hitter ... okay. How many games has he lost us by INSISTING that Nady/Bernadina play and not Moore or Lombo?

Closer? Yeah, his solution was to put in HRod. If Burnett were closing, probably would have two more wins

Catcher? Honestly, Flores may be the better catcher at this point. What Wilson gains with his bat, he loses due to his inability to hang on to the freaking ball on plays at the plate.

Morse is the number 4 hitter... He didn't even bring up Werth.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #271: May 26, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
LaRoche is the number four hitter. Because petty. Especially with Harper hitting second.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #272: June 17, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
Any thoughts after embarrassing ourselves against the Yankees?

My thoughts:

Nady shouldn't be on an MLB roster, much less starting a game for any reason
Good job, giving the game to Lidge twice. Glad that worked out ... oh wait
Why is Zimmerman still hitting number 3? How about being the manager instead of everyone's favorite old guy?

I really hope Davey makes good on his promise that he would resign if the Nats don't make the playoffs.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #273: June 17, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »
$200 million buys you depth, something we lack

Offline Slateman

« Reply #274: June 17, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »
$200 million buys you depth, something we lack

We have depth. It's called Tyler Moore, Steve Lombardozzi, and Corey Brown