Author Topic: I think, we should look for a SS.  (Read 8021 times)

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

I think, we should look for a SS.
« Reply #25: July 19, 2005, 12:53:10 PM »
According to Barry Svrluga in today's Post, nats are looking at Lugo from Tampa Bay.
"The Nationals continue to ask the Devil Rays about a deal that might include Tampa closer Danys Baez, but a source said the Nationals would also like to acquire infielder Julio Lugo, who is hitting .293 as the everyday shortstop."

Hard to see how this deal would actually work - especially as TB would probably not want Guzman. Maybe Brendan Harris?

I dunno if Bowden has the power to make deals new ownership would have to honor (like agreeing to pick up some portion or Guzman's contract for the remaining 3 years) that might induce TB to take him (tho I suppose he might be able to get some special dispensation from MLB to pay whatever the cost was out of this year's revenues - no idea).

Sounds like they did something like that with Wilson as it was announced as either cash or player to be named later so maybe can do again.

If they could get Lugo and TB would NOT take Guzman, I guess they could keep Guzman on the roster (just cos they can't get rid of him) and waive Cordero to make room for Lugo. be carrying Guzman, Carroll, Lugo and Baerga as middle infielders.