Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 105220 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1000: January 31, 2016, 08:55:50 PM »
I trust cats' intuition about people. I'll be blocking you now... :D

So as I type this at around 8:50 the cat is back for the third time today. Must be hungry! But nothing has changed—we throw the bolt to unlock the door, she runs away and jumps over to Ken's deck next door, then comes back when she hears us close the door. (Pretending to lock/unlock doesn't help, the cat is smart enough to figure it out.)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1001: January 31, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »
So as I type this at around 8:50 the cat is back for the third time today. Must be hungry! But nothing has changed—we throw the bolt to unlock the door, she runs away and jumps over to Ken's deck next door, then comes back when she hears us close the door. (Pretending to lock/unlock doesn't help, the cat is smart enough to figure it out.)

I'm enjoying this serial.    Thanks

Offline whytev

« Reply #1002: January 31, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »
Rabies?

I was thinking maybe a car grazed him and he just lost his mind.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1003: February 01, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »
You could always try propping the door open and leaving the  food inside- once she experiences central heat, she may decide to be an indoor cat

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1004: February 01, 2016, 06:03:45 AM »
Assuming she knows what a litter box is. Otherwise, bad could be a bad decision. :)

You could always try propping the door open and leaving the  food inside- once she experiences central heat, she may decide to be an indoor cat

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1005: February 01, 2016, 07:41:53 AM »

I've thought about that. We tried it once and she tentatively stepped inside but quickly went back out (she took a mouthful of food and went back outside to eat it). The thing is, the squirrels aren't afraid of the cat, so unless one of us is sitting in the kitchen, I'm wary of leaving the door open lest the squirrels also get into the house!

We may try again at some point.

Offline whytev

« Reply #1006: February 02, 2016, 12:24:02 AM »
Just about tripped over a coyote while taking a stroll. Tried for a pic but too foggy. We just stared at each other for a while and he moved along.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1007: February 02, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »
that bastard is rabid.

Just about tripped over a coyote while taking a stroll. Tried for a pic but too foggy. We just stared at each other for a while and he moved along.

Offline mitlen

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1009: February 02, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
The red foxes are at it big time. I can hear them over the TV.

Offline whytev

« Reply #1010: February 03, 2016, 01:49:31 AM »
that bastard is rabid.

Yeah I was ready to kick him and run if he came at me.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1011: February 03, 2016, 09:21:02 AM »
It's the big one, Elizabeth.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1012: February 03, 2016, 09:22:51 AM »
Just catching up on these - what wonderful pix!

The cat's ear definitely looks like it was part of a TTNVR (Trap, Tag, Neuter, Vaccinate, Release) program. There are people who maintain feral cat colonies, part of which includes a program to trap the feral cats, vx and neuter them, then release them back.  The ear is notched when they're under anesthesia for the neutering to mark them as having already been neutered.  The idea is that these cats are unadoptable so if they were taken to a shelter they'd have to be euthanized.  Those who maintain the colonies say it's more humane to vaccinate them and fix them so they don't create more cats, then put them back in the wild.  Others believe that a quick painless death is more humane than leaving the cats outside in conditions like this, and that feral cats are likely to live short painful lives anyway.  Feral cats (and owned cats that are left outside) are invasive species and have a severe negative impact on local native birds and other wildlife, which is another consideration. 

Some feral cat colony caretakers are very involved, providing food and shelter on a regular basis.  Others go as far as getting them fixed, but do little beyond that.  It's a controversial practice in the humane community, some defending it passionately, others decrying it equally passionately.

Love the cedar waxwing pix.  Several years ago when I was working at the animal shelter, one summer day we got a call from a resident who reported that someone had apparently poisoned a bunch of cedar waxwings, as she had several lying dazed in her yard.  It turns out that she had a lot of berry bushes in her yard, and the sun had fermented the berries.  The cedar waxwings had gorged themselves, and had gotten totally plastered.  After a few hours, the birds recovered and flew off, but probably had little birdy headaches for the rest of the day.

We've had lots of tracks in the snow around our house - deer, fox, rabbit, crows, etc.  You don't realize how much wildlife activity there is on a regular basis until you see all the fresh tracks every morning.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1013: February 03, 2016, 09:40:40 AM »
Just catching up on these - what wonderful pix!

The cat's ear definitely looks like it was part of a TTNVR (Trap, Tag, Neuter, Vaccinate, Release) program. There are people who maintain feral cat colonies, part of which includes a program to trap the feral cats, vx and neuter them, then release them back.  The ear is notched when they're under anesthesia for the neutering to mark them as having already been neutered.  The idea is that these cats are unadoptable so if they were taken to a shelter they'd have to be euthanized.  Those who maintain the colonies say it's more humane to vaccinate them and fix them so they don't create more cats, then put them back in the wild.  Others believe that a quick painless death is more humane than leaving the cats outside in conditions like this, and that feral cats are likely to live short painful lives anyway.  Feral cats (and owned cats that are left outside) are invasive species and have a severe negative impact on local native birds and other wildlife, which is another consideration. 

Some feral cat colony caretakers are very involved, providing food and shelter on a regular basis.  Others go as far as getting them fixed, but do little beyond that.  It's a controversial practice in the humane community, some defending it passionately, others decrying it equally passionately.

If I can tap your knowledge, I have a neighbor whose cat is allowed to roam.   They have a "crate" on the front porch which the cat uses.    I often see the cat following the neighbor and her children while they go for a walk.   It's very comfortable with the family and their dogs but not "strangers".    I'm not a cat "hater" but I don't like my space intruded on by other's animals (cat, dog, etc.).   I expect the same courtesy I used with my dog.   My belief was, not everyone likes your dog as much as you do.    This cat continuously digs up my wife's (our) flower bed and chases the critters I feed in the winter.    I think I've solved the flower bed problem with cayenne pepper.     However, I still see it on the hunt in my back yard.    What can I do?    If I confront the neighbor  ...  well   ...  it'll be a pet owner's lament, "It's not hurting you."   I'm certainly not going to harm the cat but I might harm the owner.    Any suggestions?

I think it's the owners.    I don't mind the wild critters or even truly feral cats.    Cesar Millan is right.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1014: February 03, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »
Cats are very associative, meaning that if they have a bad experience in a place a time or two, they tend to avoid that place.  You can use this to your advantage.

Cats have very sensitive hearing, so an effective but humane way to give a cat a bad experience is to use a shake can.  Throw a handful of change in an empty coffee can, snap the lid back on, and keep that by the door.  Every time you see the cat in your yard, grab the can, open the door, and shake it as hard as you can.  It makes a loud obnoxious noise that absolutely jangles a cat's nerves, but doesn't inflict any harm.  The second you start to shake that can, I guarantee the cat will bolt as fast as he can.  You can even chase after him, shaking the can and yelling, to reinforce the experience (if you don't mind the neighbors looking at you funny). If you give him the shake can treatment a couple of times, he'll probably avoid your yard after that because he will associate going there with a loud nasty experience.  You may have to reinforce it now and then if he gets enough courage to sneak back, but it should definitely make your yard a lot less attractive to him. 

Obviously be careful when you do this so the cat doesn't run into danger.  For instance, if you live on a busy street, you'll want to position yourself between the cat and the street when you shake the can so that the panicked cat runs away from the street, not towards it. 

Also, depending on what county you live in, it may be illegal for the owners to allow the pet to roam freely, and to damage, soil, or defecate on other people's property.  In Montgomery County those prohibitions apply to all animals, including cats.  You can make anonymous complaints to the animal control agency, but unfortunately most owners tend to have a pretty good idea who made the complaint, so it can get awkward.  Also, there's a natural reluctance to call in the authorities. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1015: February 03, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »
Cats are very associative, meaning that if they have a bad experience in a place a time or two, they tend to avoid that place.  You can use this to your advantage.

Cats have very sensitive hearing, so an effective but humane way to give a cat a bad experience is to use a shake can.  Throw a handful of change in an empty coffee can, snap the lid back on, and keep that by the door.  Every time you see the cat in your yard, grab the can, open the door, and shake it as hard as you can.  It makes a loud obnoxious noise that absolutely jangles a cat's nerves, but doesn't inflict any harm.  The second you start to shake that can, I guarantee the cat will bolt as fast as he can.  You can even chase after him, shaking the can and yelling, to reinforce the experience (if you don't mind the neighbors looking at you funny). If you give him the shake can treatment a couple of times, he'll probably avoid your yard after that because he will associate going there with a loud nasty experience.  You may have to reinforce it now and then if he gets enough courage to sneak back, but it should definitely make your yard a lot less attractive to him. 

Obviously be careful when you do this so the cat doesn't run into danger.  For instance, if you live on a busy street, you'll want to position yourself between the cat and the street when you shake the can so that the panicked cat runs away from the street, not towards it. 

Also, depending on what county you live in, it may be illegal for the owners to allow the pet to roam freely, and to damage, soil, or defecate on other people's property.  In Montgomery County those prohibitions apply to all animals, including cats.  You can make anonymous complaints to the animal control agency, but unfortunately most owners tend to have a pretty good idea who made the complaint, so it can get awkward.  Also, there's a natural reluctance to call in the authorities. 

Wow, that's great info.   I appreciate the reply.

BTW, the neighbors already look at me funny.   :)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1016: February 03, 2016, 12:12:22 PM »
Damn dark-eyed juncos are crazy.    They're at it in the blizzard.

From what I read about them after seeing them show up around (but not on) our feeder, they're Canadian and fly "south" for the Winter.  This is just a cool breeze for them :P

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1017: February 03, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
It's the big one, Elizabeth.

:crackup:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1018: February 03, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »
From what I read about them after seeing them show up around (but not on) our feeder, they're Canadian and fly "south" for the Winter. 
So they are Canadian anchor babies but travel through the Washington area on their way to places like South Carolina?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1019: February 03, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »
So they are Canadian anchor babies but travel through the Washington area on their way to places like South Carolina?

Literally "snow birds".

PS   I see what you did there.    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1020: February 09, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »
Neighbor's cat made a deposit after the snow melted today.    I cleaned the spot and laid a good bit of Cayenne red pepper, organic powder dog and cat repellent and a dose of liquid dog and cat repellent.    The .357 is by the door.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1021: February 10, 2016, 11:28:25 AM »
Neighbor's cat made a deposit after the snow melted today.    I cleaned the spot and laid a good bit of Cayenne red pepper, organic powder dog and cat repellent and a dose of liquid dog and cat repellent.    The .357 is by the door.

And of course by ".357" you mean "humane shake can", right?  Right??????   :shock:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1022: February 10, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »
And of course by ".357" you mean "humane shake can", right?  Right??????   :shock:

Indeed    :)    Missus won't let me have a weapon.    She thinks I'm unstable.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1023: February 10, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »
I've watched you standing around the Loft. I'm sure you're unstable.

Indeed    :)    Missus won't let me have a weapon.    She thinks I'm unstable.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1024: February 10, 2016, 08:18:18 PM »
I've watched you standing around the Loft. I'm sure you're unstable.

Not by comparison.

Where the hell is Blue anyway?