Author Topic: DeRosa activated; Nady to DL (Updated)  (Read 1514 times)

Offline PC

DeRosa activated; Nady to DL (Updated)
« Topic Start: June 25, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
...according to Kilgore

Mark DeRosa will join Nationals in Colorado today
By Adam Kilgore

Utility man Mark DeRosa will join the Nationals in Colorado today and “probably” be activated from the 15-day disabled list for tonight’s game against the Rockies, a person familiar with the team’s plans said.

The corresponding roster move is not yet known. The two most likely choices appear to be designating veteran outfielder Xavier Nady for assignment or optioning rookie Tyler Moore back to Class AAA Syracuse. Moore has out-performed Nady recently, but sending him down would allow the Nationals to keep both players in the organization.

DeRosa has been on the DL since April 28 with a strained left oblique. As he rehabbed from the injury, DeRosa also dealt with the death of his father after a long bout with cancer. Yesterday, DeRosa finished 1 for 11 with four walks and three strikeouts in his rehab assignment at Class A Potomac.

DeRosa is a veteran who can play both corner outfield spots and both corner infield spots. Manager Davey Johnson could use DeRosa at third base in case Ryan Zimmerman requires rest for his aching shoulder. Before his injury, DeRosa hit .081, mostly coming off the bench. Johnson values DeRosa for his versatility, experience and positive effect on teammates.

Offline hammondsnats

Sending Moore down would be one of the biggest mistakes this team would have made in sometime.  The guy is hitting with every opportunity he's gotten and he's actually played decent out in left. 

I can't comprehend keeping a Bernadina/Nady over Moore right now.

Offline PC

The corresponding roster move is not yet known. The two most likely choices appear to be designating veteran outfielder Xavier Nady for assignment or optioning rookie Tyler Moore back to Class AAA Syracuse. Moore has out-performed Nady recently, but sending him down would allow the Nationals to keep both players in the organization.

:?

Does Nady have pictures of somebody or something?

Also, why does this team always seem to rush players back from the DL?  DeRosa was playing horribly before he went on the DL and didn't play any better on his rehab assignment.  Why not wait until he's actually hitting well in the minors before you activate him?

Offline sportsfan882

Moore to AAA it is :?

DeRosa went 1/11 with 1 Single, 4 BBs, 3 Ks in his rehab stint with Potomac.

Before going on the DL, DeRosa was batting a paltry .081/.227/.081 in 37 ABs. Worse than Nady.

Online HalfSmokes

Before his injury, DeRosa hit .081, mostly coming off the bench. Johnson values DeRosa for his versatility, experience and positive effect on teammates.

The honorary Nieves/pudge/stairs position

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Online HalfSmokes

Moore to AAA it is :?

DeRosa went 1/11 with 1 Single, 4 BBs, 3 Ks in his rehab stint with Potomac.

Before going on the DL, DeRosa was batting a paltry .081/.227/.081 in 37 ABs. Worse than Nady.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Verification of Tyler Moore being sent down?

Offline Kevrock

There is no verification, SF being SF.

Offline PC

Moore has out-performed Nady recently, but sending him down would allow the Nationals to keep both players in the organization.

If Nady is DFA'd, he'll STILL be available because no one's going to sign him.  No team is that desperate!

Remember, he was sitting on his couch when Rizzo dragged him to spring training this year and looking at the way he's played, he's even less attractive now for other teams.

Offline hammondsnats

The fact they let go Lidge for Mattheus, one would think they would keep Moore and get rid of one of the more obvious options. 

Davey isn't like Riggleman in regards to favoring the vets over rookies, but I don't know if this will be a Rizzo call or what.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I don't know much about all the workings of baseball.   I do know what I see.   Keep Moore, get rid of the few remaining bums.

Online Slateman

The fact they let go Lidge for Mattheus, one would think they would keep Moore and get rid of one of the more obvious options. 

Davey isn't like Riggleman in regards to favoring the vets over rookies, but I don't know if this will be a Rizzo call or what.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic

Offline hammondsnats

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic

no surprise you can't. 

it's true though, riggleman would play the likes of guzman/etc over having young players on the team.  davey wanted lombo on the team and clearly wanted moore up over one of the older guys in AAA: Michaels/Teahan/etc.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Throw Nady and DeRosa into a pit with fungo bats. Whoever comes out alive, gets a roster spot. Preferrably on the DL.

Offline sportsfan882

For some time now, the Nationals have been poking for a right-handed hitting corner infielder – someone who could fill the role intended for Mark DeRosa, who has struggled with declining performance and injury.

The Nats’ problem during their search has been two-fold – a lack of available hitters, plus a fear that the team would be unable to create enough at-bats for the player they acquired.

It will be interesting to see whether third baseman Ryan Zimmerman’s troublesome right shoulder forces the Nats to intensify their pursuit. Zimmerman received a cortisone shot Sunday and plans to play through his injury. But at the very least, he might need occasional rest.

Something else to watch with the Nats: The continued improvement of left-hander John Lannan, who has allowed one earned run in four of his last five starts at Triple A.

Lannan gives the Nats protection if any of their starters is injured, or if they want to back off right-hander Stephen Strasburg, who is on a limit of 160 to 165 innings, according to club officials.

Lannan also is increasing his value as a trade candidate, and the Nats continue to push him in conversations with other clubs. By July 31, his remaining salary will be about $1.7 million.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/ernesto-frieri-los-angeles-angels-ike-davis-new-york-mets-062512

Online Slateman

no surprise you can't. 

it's true though, riggleman would play the likes of guzman/etc over having young players on the team.  davey wanted lombo on the team and clearly wanted moore up over one of the older guys in AAA: Michaels/Teahan/etc.

Lol, okay.

Davey Johnson started Matt Stairs in more games than Riggleman did. Xavier Nady is not only still on the roster, but actually getting starts. Talking about activating DeRosa.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I can't understand the logic of sending Moore to Syracuse so the Nats can keep both Nady and Moore in the organization. As best I remember, the point of a baseball game is to win by scoring more runs. A team does that by using its best players. Moore hits better than Nady, so Moore is better. (And he looks like an adequate LF and a decent fielding 1B).

...and I don't see evidence that DeRosa is a better 3B than Lombo, or better LF.

DFA Nady and DeRosa. Bring up Corey Brown, who was hitting .295 with 16HR last I looked at Syracuse.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
At the risk of seeming like I'm stuck in the year 2008, all I can say is:

Offline Kevrock

Lol, okay.

Davey Johnson started Matt Stairs in more games than Riggleman did. Xavier Nady is not only still on the roster, but actually getting starts. Talking about activating DeRosa.

STRASBURG37

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
DeRosa "likely" to smoke anii at the plate.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Thank you Nostradamus  :lol:

DeRosa "likely" to smoke anii at the plate.

Offline hammondsnats

Lol, okay.

He appeared in 14 games under Davey.  Compared to the 2.5 months under Riggleman.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Ugh. Where is all this Rigglemania coming from? It must be the one year anniveresary. :hang:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
I can't understand the logic of sending Moore to Syracuse so the Nats can keep both Nady and Moore in the organization. As best I remember, the point of a baseball game is to win by scoring more runs. A team does that by using its best players. Moore hits better than Nady, so Moore is better. (And he looks like an adequate LF and a decent fielding 1B).

...and I don't see evidence that DeRosa is a better 3B than Lombo, or better LF.

DFA Nady and DeRosa. Bring up Corey Brown, who was hitting .295 with 16HR last I looked at Syracuse.

whaaaaaa?