Author Topic: Motorcycles  (Read 2317 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Motorcycles
« Reply #25: June 23, 2012, 06:38:20 PM »
My bro's Triumph is a '71 Bonnie t120r

Still in good shape?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: June 23, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »
Mitlin, I've got a pic but can't post with remote.  Could you post if I send?  PM me. I think he may sell to finance rebuilding the other two.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #27: June 23, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »
My bro's Triumph is a '71 Bonnie t120r

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #28: June 23, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »
^ That's nice.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #29: June 23, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: June 23, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »
Thanks for posting Mitlin.  My bro said he might sell to finance rebuilding his other two, but he's having fun riding it now.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #31: June 24, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
Nice.  My first bike was a crappy Nighthawk.  Moved up to a Vulcan which I've had for several years. 

I really want one of the 'adventure' type bikes like the V Stroms.  I'm not a Harley guy.  I do like the Triumph retro bikes.

I'm not a Harley guy per se.   I was looking for a bike I could afford and still add on and subtract parts to make it look like I wanted it to.   I'd really like to try one of these but at my age I might fall off.    If not fall off, be unable to walk when I got off   ...

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #32: June 24, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
The V Strom - upright riding position but still capable of carving up back roads.  Good for road trips.  They run about $9k brand new.  That's about the upper limit of what I can spend before the wife starts threatening to take other stuff away.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #33: June 24, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »
The V Strom - upright riding position but still capable of carving up back roads.  Good for road trips.  They run about $9k brand new.  That's about the upper limit of what I can spend before the wife starts threatening to take other stuff away.

(Image removed from quote.)

I like that.   There's something about the upright seating as well.   I sat on a Ducati at the bike show in January and it felt unnatural to me.   Awkward  ...  I seriously felt that when I came to a stop I would be unable to get my feet off the brake/shift quick enough to remain upright.   That's pitiful.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #34: June 24, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
I'm 31 and I can't sit hunched over on a sport bike for more than about 20 minutes before it starts getting uncomfortable.  Maybe if I were 21 I'd do it.  But all I could have afforded when I was 21 would have been a little 250, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a sport bike like that.

Still can't believe people used to take 100 cc bikes on highways.  I keep trying to imagine a scooter out on 66 or 495. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #35: June 24, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »
I had one of these for a while and decided to get rid of it after a close call.  Apparently 1100 was too much for 19 year old me:

After my bicycle spending spree is done I think I'm going to get this:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: June 24, 2012, 10:58:45 AM »
I'm 31 and I can't sit hunched over   .....  Still can't believe people used to take 100 cc bikes on highways.  I keep trying to imagine a scooter out on 66 or 495. 

Only way I can sit hunched over like that for more than 20 minutes is if there's a bar on the other end.   :)    My BIL has a scooter he takes everywhere but he's in W. PA.   That area is a different animal than the roads and drivers around here.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #37: June 24, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
Only way I can sit hunched over like that for more than 20 minutes is if there's a bar on the other end.   :)    My BIL has a scooter he takes everywhere but he's in W. PA.   That area is a different animal than the roads and drivers around here.

I can imagine Baseball is Life (BIL) on a scooter.

:mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #38: June 24, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
I can imagine Baseball is Life (BIL) on a scooter.

:mg:

Of course, I meant my bro-in-law.   :P

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #39: June 24, 2012, 04:51:49 PM »
Ha.  Yeah, of course.  Just thought it was a funny visual.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #40: November 07, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »
Anyone have any experience with heated gear?  Firstgear makes a jacket liner that uses a relatively low 65 watts.  That should be enough to keep me warm and not be too taxing on the power supply.  I want something I can put on and take off the bike - not heating grips that have to be glued on.  I have a little 650 sportbike - not a touring bike - so I can only have so many accessories taking power from the bike.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #41: November 15, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
I bought the heated liner.  Rode to work today.  It was 35 degrees out and I was nice and warm.  Thumbs up to Firstgear on their heated jacket liner. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #42: March 25, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »
I'm about to raise the dead...

So, I'm looking into getting a motorcycle but I'm curious as to what size to get. I've never ridden so I don't want to blow a lot of cash on something I might screw up learning on. First, at 6'1" and 280lbs what would the minimum size be that I should consider as far as CCs go. Also, I've thought of going street/trail due to the area I live in. Would a DR 200 be enough? Or should I look at something more of a cruiser in the 600+ range? The interstate isn't much of an issue because I can get just about anywhere I'd want to go on one w/o jumping on the freeway until I'm confortable.

I have and will continue to have at least for now a 1.5 mile drive to work so I'm looking at something to commute on and just to have fun with. I'm not a crotchrocket guy so they are out of the question.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #43: March 25, 2014, 04:16:09 PM »
I'm about to raise the dead...

So, I'm looking into getting a motorcycle but I'm curious as to what size to get. I've never ridden so I don't want to blow a lot of cash on something I might screw up learning on. First, at 6'1" and 280lbs what would the minimum size be that I should consider as far as CCs go. Also, I've thought of going street/trail due to the area I live in. Would a DR 200 be enough? Or should I look at something more of a cruiser in the 600+ range? The interstate isn't much of an issue because I can get just about anywhere I'd want to go on one w/o jumping on the freeway until I'm confortable.

I have and will continue to have at least for now a 1.5 mile drive to work so I'm looking at something to commute on and just to have fun with. I'm not a crotchrocket guy so they are out of the question.

My guess would be  ...  200 cc is not enough ...  considering what you want to do and the terrain you'll face on and off road   ...  600 cc minimum   IMHO.    Not sure what your price range is but BMW has multi-purpose  bikes that cover trail and street.    Check their site:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #44: March 25, 2014, 04:32:17 PM »
My guess would be  ...  200 cc is not enough ...  considering what you want to do and the terrain you'll face on and off road   ...  600 cc minimum   IMHO.    Not sure what your price range is but BMW has multi-purpose  bikes that cover trail and street.    Check their site:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Because I've never ridden before, I'm looking for something that would be more or less a throwaway if you will. If it gets dinged up or whatever, no loss. Kinda like a first car, just a basic ride until I get skilled enough and my credit restored enough to buy something nicer. Basically, I'm gonna pay cash for whatever it is and it ain't gonna be a lot :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #45: March 25, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »
Because I've never ridden before, I'm looking for something that would be more or less a throwaway if you will. If it gets dinged up or whatever, no loss. Kinda like a first car, just a basic ride until I get skilled enough and my credit restored enough to buy something nicer. Basically, I'm gonna pay cash for whatever it is and it ain't gonna be a lot :lol:

Any Japanese bike would make a good throwaway

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #46: March 25, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »
Any Japanese bike would make a good throwaway

Kinda what I was thinking. I don't want to drop any kind of serious coin on something that's most likely gonna get laid down sooner than later. Not to mention if I don't really enjoy it, I don't want to have to worry about resale.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #47: March 25, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »

See if your local Community College has the rider safety course.   It's a good intro to riding and gives you a feel as to whether you want to pursue it.     BTW the courses around E. Loudoun use 200 or 250 cc bikes.    That'll give you the reason not to buy one that small.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #48: March 25, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »
See if your local Community College has the rider safety course.   It's a good intro to riding and gives you a feel as to whether you want to pursue it.     BTW the courses around E. Loudoun use 200 or 250 cc bikes.    That'll give you the reason not to buy one that small.

Yeah, Allegany College has a rider safety course every so often. This is one I was looking at just for craps and giggles:

Offline blue911

« Reply #49: March 25, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
I'd imagine somebody has a used big bore 4-stroke one lunger. Any of those over 300CC would have a beefy enough frame to carry your weight and enough torque to have some fun. I know Honda and Yamaha used to make such motorcycles. Huaqvarna makes some really good off road singles but they pricey