Should Manny Acta be fired?

Yes
76 (67.3%)
No
18 (15.9%)
Ask me later in the year
19 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Should Manny Acta be fired?  (Read 33643 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Should Manny Acta be fired?
« Reply #425: May 31, 2009, 09:32:17 AM »
I'm shocked that Acta would have the balls to make a "the way the grass was cut" excuse regarding Hernandez' error, which was pretty clearly of the "he nonchallanted it" variety.

As Knight pointed out, the team almost never takes infield practice, which by its very nature would tend to reveal such ballpark specific effects, should they exist (which I'm not buying as a cause anyway).

Who would be responsible for conducting infield practice?  Manny, of course.

Offline uncleteddy

« Reply #426: May 31, 2009, 09:52:35 AM »
Who would be responsible for conducting infield practice?  Manny, of course.

He's far too busy thumbing through the "Successories" catalog looking for the next meaningless tripe he can parrot back as if it were some sort of deep philosophy.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #427: May 31, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »
He's far too busy thumbing through the "Successories" catalog looking for the next meaningless tripe he can parrot back as if it were some sort of deep philosophy.

very true

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #428: May 31, 2009, 04:16:32 PM »
Manny deserves to be fired. Not sure if they will do it, but the way he is managing, he deserves it.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #429: May 31, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »
I'm so darned depressed ... what makes this worse is to watch all those loser fairweather bandwagon fanbois doing the frickin wave in philadelphia -- FTMFL -- gag me with a spoon ...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #430: May 31, 2009, 04:19:14 PM »
The fact that he still has a job means that the decision is surely not based on results or performance.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #431: May 31, 2009, 04:19:21 PM »
Someone has to take the fall for this.

8-20 (.286) record in May.

5-16 (.238) in April.

Offline blue911

« Reply #432: May 31, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »
The fact that he still has a job means that the decision is surely not based on results or performance.

Or preparation.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #433: May 31, 2009, 04:22:21 PM »
it's appalling he's still the manager of this club.  who the hell cares if the mets covet him.  what have they won the last 5 years?  nothing. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #434: May 31, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »
15.5 games out of First Place at the end of May.

5-25 (.167) record against the NL East!!!

Three Losing streaks of 6 or more games already.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #435: May 31, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »
So what happens when he is fired? Who takes over? that may be part of the immediate problem

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #436: May 31, 2009, 04:25:43 PM »
So what happens when he is fired? Who takes over? that may be part of the immediate problem
Jim Rigglemann, the bench coach. Suitable short-term option.

Offline zoom

« Reply #437: May 31, 2009, 04:31:57 PM »
Jim Rigglemann, the bench coach. Suitable short-term option.

Rigglemann did nothing to help the Mariners which were in a very similar position (atrocious club due to the previous GM (Bevassi) and a passive manager (McLaren).  If you are thinking he will help, then he's not your guy. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #438: May 31, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »
Rigglemann did nothing to help the Mariners which were in a very similar position (atrocious club due to the previous GM (Bevassi) and a passive manager (McLaren).  If you are thinking he will help, then he's not your guy. 
I don't think he will help but what else could they do? Are there any other options?

Maybe the Chiefs manager, Tim Foli?

Offline blue911

« Reply #439: May 31, 2009, 04:37:05 PM »
I don't think he will help but what else could they do? Are there any other options?

Foli was a hard nosed player. I wonder what he's like as a manager.

Offline zoom

« Reply #440: May 31, 2009, 04:37:16 PM »

There in lies the problem.  I still think one of Rizzo's biggest mistakes was not getting Bryan Pryce as a pitching coach/consultant.  I would be 'content' with Ray Knight (if he'd do it) and Pryce taking over. 

I don't know anything about Foli. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #441: May 31, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
what have they won the last 5 years?  nothing. 

71, 83, 97, 88, and 89 games.  One division title and a game 7 LCS loss and a couple final week collapses.  Not bad. At least their fans get to hope the team will get a chance to play for the championship.  This crap about hating on teams that dont win championships is bullcrap. It is some crap losers tell themselves to make themselves feel better.  At least the Mets make it interesting.  At least the look like they might do something.  I'll trade with them any day of the freakin week.  For an apparent laughing stock, they have more success than 90% of the teams out there

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #442: May 31, 2009, 04:39:16 PM »
Foli was a hard nosed player. I wonder what he's like as a manager.
From what I was just reading he is a fiery guy.

On September 16, 2000, Foli began three tumultuous seasons as a coach with the Cincinnati Reds, reunited with former Angels catcher Bob Boone, who was the Reds' manager. Just a few months into his coaching job, Foli became embroiled in a physical confrontation with fellow coach, Ron Oester, after a game. Foli required stitches. The turmoil in Cincinnati did not soon end, as Oester was let go after the season, the team's superstar, Ken Griffey, Jr. was injured in four consecutive seasons, coach Ken Griffey, Sr. resigned on bad terms,and the Reds posted three consecutive losing seasons. As a result, Foli, Boone, the general manager and another coach were all fired on July 28, 2003.

His nickname is "Crazy Horse". :lol:

Offline zoom

« Reply #443: May 31, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Do you think there is a chance Kasten is going to clean house after the draft?  I am thinking that if he does not remove the 'interim' from Rizzo's job title soon, he will bring in a new GM.  And, if a new GM is brought in, they'll want to hire their own staff.  i think the waiting on Acta is Kasten waiting till after the draft (which i think is a mistake).  Either go with Rizzo or find the replacement.   

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #444: May 31, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »
We need to hire Ozzie Guillen. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #445: May 31, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
71, 83, 97, 88, and 89 games.  One division title and a game 7 LCS loss and a couple final week collapses.  Not bad. At least their fans get to hope the team will get a chance to play for the championship.  This crap about hating on teams that dont win championships is bullcrap. It is some crap losers tell themselves to make themselves feel better.  At least the Mets make it interesting.  At least the look like they might do something.  I'll trade with them any day of the freakin week.  For an apparent laughing stock, they have more success than 90% of the teams out there

they're arguably the most talented team in the league with by far the highest payroll -- and the routinely choke like heartless dogs -- there is absolutely nothing about new york that i want to emulate in any fashion whatsoever, we'd be better served emulating the marlins ...

the new yorker's can have their mutts -- I want the Nats to be a champion someday -- I've rooted for all the classic underachievers and perennially mediocre teams that I can stand --

Offline uncleteddy

« Reply #446: May 31, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Someone has to take the fall for this.

8-20 (.286) record in May.

5-16 (.238) in April.

What's the problem?  That's a marked improvement!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #447: May 31, 2009, 04:53:45 PM »
Do you think there is a chance Kasten is going to clean house after the draft?  I am thinking that if he does not remove the 'interim' from Rizzo's job title soon, he will bring in a new GM.  And, if a new GM is brought in, they'll want to hire their own staff.  i think the waiting on Acta is Kasten waiting till after the draft (which i think is a mistake).  Either go with Rizzo or find the replacement.  

This sounds reasonable ...

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #448: May 31, 2009, 04:58:48 PM »

but what makes acta so great in the fact that the mets want him? 

i'd trade places with any major league team right now. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #449: May 31, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »
but what makes acta so great in the fact that the mets want him? 

i dont know what that has to do with anything. i was just commenting on the "what have the mets won" portion.