Author Topic: Getting swept..........no prob!  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Slumpbuster

Getting swept..........no prob!
« Topic Start: June 17, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »
Despite getting swept by the Yanks this weekend did we lose any ground in the NL East? It seems like the rest of the division has decided to go on losing streaks too. I know all four other teams lost today.
It's a looooong season but I think we're set up well for the long run.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: Getting swept..........no prob!
« Reply #1: June 17, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »
Despite getting swept by the Yanks this weekend did we lose any ground in the NL East? It seems like the rest of the division has decided to go on losing streaks too. I know all four other teams lost today.

Just thinking the same thing.  I hate getting swept too, but we lost minimal ground (if any).  Time to use the off-day to recoup and get back on track.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2: June 17, 2012, 09:59:31 PM »
But we didn't get swept.  We actually won Saturday's game in the 8th inning

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: June 17, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »
But we didn't get swept.  We actually won Saturday's game in the 8th inning

Scoreboard and umpires disagree

The only thing good I'm taking out of this series was that our starting pitching gave us 3 quality starts. Thats more than a lot of teams do against the Yankees

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: June 17, 2012, 10:50:05 PM »
It's a measure of the distance to the next step. The Yankees are not far above the Nats, but Washington has to hit better. RZim and Morse to start with, and Espinosa, of course.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #5: June 17, 2012, 11:45:03 PM »
More than the Yankee sweep of the Nats, I'm concerned with the lack of hitting from our "big guns" in the middle of the line-up.  Neither Zimmerman nor Morse are scaring anyone except maybe themselves.   

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: June 17, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »
Pettite's slider is :az:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: June 18, 2012, 01:58:14 AM »
Wasn't that long ago we all swooned at the thought of Zim and Morse back in the lineup.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #8: June 18, 2012, 03:43:04 AM »
we lost ground in the WC

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #9: June 18, 2012, 08:45:40 AM »
we lost ground in the WC

It's not even August yet.  Let's all step back from the ledge and enjoy what can only be described as one of the most exciting teams in MLB grow into a juggernat.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #10: June 18, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »
It's not even August yet.  Let's all step back from the ledge and enjoy what can only be described as one of the most exciting teams in MLB grow into a juggernat.

Yeah, this.  To me, though I would have much preferred to have a sweep go the other way, I think there's a lot to learn from this.  The team has to feel a little bit like they were weighed, measured and found wanting and I think they should.  Bryce looked (mostly) like a 19-year-old playing the NY Yankees.  Zim and Morse looked like a deer in the headlights most of the weekend, and they all looked like they were having a hard time dealing with 41,000+ in the stands.

That said, they're a couple bad calls and Brad Lidge away from winning at least one or two of those.  It reminds me, actually, of the Dodgers series out in LA - the Nats are not one of the best three teams in the league, but they're right on the doorstep.  No reason to feel bad about it, and plenty of reason for optimism.  Hopefully, they learn something from this, so when it gets to October, they are better ready to handle the moment.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #11: June 18, 2012, 09:17:34 AM »
One thing that this weekend showed is that the guys on the field and the people working outside of the diamond have a ton of work to do before they're ready for prime time.  I didn't take the Metro but I understand it was it's usual crapshow for a 40K crowd and the concession stands ran out of food and containers again. 

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #12: June 18, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »
One thing that this weekend showed is that the guys on the field and the people working outside of the diamond have a ton of work to do before they're ready for prime time.  I didn't take the Metro but I understand it was it's usual crapshow for a 40K crowd and the concession stands ran out of food and containers again.

That actually makes me more mad than the performance on the field.  I mean, how is that possible?  Do they not talk before each homestand with the concession vendors and say "Hey, we're expecting three consecutive sellouts this weekend - be sure to order appropriately."  I mean, really, being able to buy the food I want in an actual container is sort of part of the vaunted "ballpark experience."

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #13: June 18, 2012, 09:21:21 AM »
Hell. It's not even July yet.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #14: June 18, 2012, 09:22:48 AM »
I didn't take the Green Line home (went for a post game run to Capitol South to burn off the italian sausage), but the trains seemed to be more frequent and less crowded then I expected.

Undoubtedly, the Green Line was a fluster cuck.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #15: June 18, 2012, 10:02:45 AM »
The ladies working at the Red Porch commented on a shortage of cups on Sunday
Metro didn't appear bad to me.  But I stayed off the Green Line

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #16: June 18, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »
Running out of cups is just completely 100% inexcusable. 

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17: June 18, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »
Are you people really freaking out this bad over getting swept by the best team in baseball (yes the Yanks are better than the Dodgers)?

How do some of you make it through a baseball season? Knowing that even if your team is one of the better ones you're still going to lose probably 70 times.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #18: June 18, 2012, 10:12:22 AM »
Thomas Boswell ‏@ThomasBoswellWP
Nats fans, come in off the ledge. Yanks hot. It happens. Nats 15-11 in 32 straight vs Al & NL East. Six more to go. 4 games up. Sweet. Enjoy
Bos, the voice of reason :clap:

If we don't go at least 3-3 this week then it will be time to panic. In the meantime, we are 4 games up and let's keep kicking ass. :clap:

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #19: June 18, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
Running out of cups is just completely 100% inexcusable. 

Nothing surprises me anymore. I don't know how they can run out of cups or food with the Yankees in town. Maybe they need to make a call to the Orioles for advice. I've been to OPACY when the Yankees were in town and I don't ever recall having any problems with concessions.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #20: June 18, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
Getting swept by the Yanks is not the end of the world. Like someone else said, we were in each game. A hit here or there and it's not unrealistic to think that the Nats could have won at least two of those games. Bring on the Rays and Os.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #21: June 18, 2012, 10:30:21 AM »
Right. If you look at the bigger picture, we're still at .666 against the AL East in this swing.

And, of course, we won the 2nd game against the Yankees...

Bos, the voice of reason :clap:

If we don't go at least 3-3 this week then it will be time to panic. In the meantime, we are 4 games up and let's keep kicking ass. :clap:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #22: June 18, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »
Are you people really freaking out this bad over getting swept by the best team in baseball (yes the Yanks are better than the Dodgers)?

How do some of you make it through a baseball season? Knowing that even if your team is one of the better ones you're still going to lose probably 70 times.

Did you even read the posts in this thread? :hammer:

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #23: June 18, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Did you even read the posts in this thread? :hammer:

I did. I wasn't really in response to the posts in this thread. Mostly to the overall posts that I've seen across WNFF. A lot of people freaking out right now. Very glad this thread has people who can see that we're still 38-26, with a 4 game lead in the National League East.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #24: June 18, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
Mostly to the overall posts that I've seen across WNFF.

Not like it ever matters, but as always I take exception to this gross mischaracterization of the forum populace based on the posts of a few.