Author Topic: Is Davey Johnson working in baseball?  (Read 1590 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Is Davey Johnson working in baseball?
« Topic Start: August 11, 2005, 01:53:09 PM »
Esoteric posed the above question, on the Gameday 2 thread.  I was in process of replying when the thread was moved and locked  :x , so am posting my reply here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
They were talking about him on XM yesterday.

He is NOT working in baseball, and does not express any interest in managing again.  They said that his daughter had died, and speculated that this personal tragedy may have contributed to his lack of interest in managing.

The subject came up from a caller regarding Baltimore's managerial opening.  It was funny how Buck Martinez had to dance gingerly around the subject (since he does Orioles broadcasts), saying only that there were some personal compatibility issues that made his return to the Orioles not likely.  That's a gross understatement!!!

Davey Johnson, former Oriole, managed the heck out of that team, coming within a Jeffrey Meier fan interference of upending the Yankees.  (Tarasco was going to make that catch!)

I loved the way he started all right-handed batters against Randy Johnson in the playoffs, getting into his head (Orioles won the game).

Anyway, he refused to kiss Angelos' butt at all, and that's an unpardonable offense in birdland.  So the manager of the year was fired, simply another in a long line of decisions made by Orioles management with full contempt for their loyal fans.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1: August 11, 2005, 02:25:13 PM »
LOL sorry about that Tom, I don't usually check the gameday threads before I toss them into the archives.  My apologies :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: August 11, 2005, 02:41:17 PM »
Chief, I'll get over it.  I'm just cranky after using all those exclamation points last night, to no avail.

I haven't resorted to ALL CAPS yet, trying to keep some powder dry, but it's about time to pull out all the stops.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #3: August 11, 2005, 02:43:34 PM »
Shhhuushhhh don't give yourself any ideas...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: August 11, 2005, 03:00:50 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Chief, I'll get over it.  I'm just cranky after using all those exclamation points last night, to no avail.

I haven't resorted to ALL CAPS yet, trying to keep some powder dry, but it's about time to pull out all the stops.

:lol:

Maybe if we start using this smiley  :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:  It will induce more hits and runs ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: August 11, 2005, 03:04:53 PM »
Ok, ok, I'll try to calm down.

Don't want to cause a moderation action to be triggered.  See, no caps, except for those required for pseudo proper 'merican English.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: August 11, 2005, 03:23:01 PM »
Thought I'd put some real content into the Davey Johnson thread.  Here's a section I lifted from baseballLibrary.com about him.  I just love his quote:
---------------------------------------------------
His attention to batter-pitcher matchups for platooning and in-game switches was learned from Earl Weaver. Johnson's strategy also owes much to his former manager. He dislikes the bunt and manages according to the credos of "pitching and three-run homers" and "play for one run, lose by one run."
-------------------------------------------------
"play for one run, lose by one run."

Wonder what he things of the Nationals this season?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #7: August 11, 2005, 03:51:54 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Ok, ok, I'll try to calm down.

Don't want to cause a moderation action to be triggered.  See, no caps, except for those required for pseudo proper 'merican English.

HEHEHEHEHE yea...

Offline esoteric

« Reply #8: August 11, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »
Oddly enough, 10 minutes after I posted about Davey Johnson, I open up the Washington Times sports page and what do I find?

O's Could Go Back to the Future for Next Manager.  

Talking about the possibility of Johnson returning to the O's!  And he's not ruling it out!  

As much as I'd hate to see him come back to the game with another team, I wouldn't mind seeing him helm the O's once more.  He managed the heck out of that late '90s team, and I could easily see him making a run with the current one.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: August 18, 2005, 10:44:36 AM »
Davey Johnson to manage U.S. World Cup team
Ex-manager to look after minor league team in Sept. event

SportsTicker
Updated: 5:08 p.m. ET Aug. 17, 2005
DURHAM, N.C. - Davey Johnson will return to the dugout in search of another title.

On Wednesday, USA Baseball named Johnson manager for the team comprised of minor leaguers that will represent the United States in the 2005 IBAF World Cup in The Netherlands beginning September 2.

?I?m looking forward to the opportunity to wear the uniform of the United States and to the challenge of trying to bring the baseball World Cup back to America for the first time since 1974,? Johnson said.

A manager for four major league teams over 14 seasons, Johnson has compiled a 1,148-888 record.  In 1986, he guided the New York Mets to a World Series title in a dramatic seven-game series with the Boston Red Sox.

Johnson, a four-time All-Star in his 13 seasons as a player with four teams, was named the American League Manager of the Year in 1997 after leading the Baltimore Orioles to an East Division title.

?Davey brings a great managerial style and major league experience to the position,? USA Baseball general manager Bob Watson said.  ?We?re excited to have him lead Team USA into this competition.?

In addition to the hiring of Johnson, Rick Eckstein was named bench coach, Scott Radinsky pitching coach and Lee May Jr. hitting coach.

? 2005 SportsTicker