Author Topic: Paul Swydan Believes Braves Will Catch Nats [but who gives gives a rat's ...]  (Read 17779 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Paul Swydan Believes Braves Will Catch Nats
« Reply #175: August 12, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »
Davey is managing the season not a game. He wasn't going to use another reliever.
He isn't managing a season anymore. He's managing the last month and a half of the season. The Braves are on fire and breathing down our necks. We're going to lose Strasburg in another 3-6 starts. Every game counts right now.

By his own admission last night, Gonzo had nothing. The Nationals got incredibly lucky.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #176: August 12, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
There's a reason Gonzalez is the option behind Burnett.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #177: August 12, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »
He isn't managing a season anymore. He's managing the last month and a half of the season. The Braves are on fire and breathing down our necks. We're going to lose Strasburg in another 3-6 starts. Every game counts right now.

By his own admission last night, Gonzo had nothing. The Nationals got incredibly lucky.

A bullpen can still be burnt out in a month and a half. Especially when they most likely have to pitch an extra month. Also you can do the math to figure out what WAR Simmons is on pace for but can't figure out that 133.33/23=5.8, 180/5.8=31, 31-23=8

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #178: August 12, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
“@DKnobler: Nationals have kept winning (until today), but Braves promise to keep up "full-court press" in the NL East. 3 to Watch. http://t.co/XmjxFLt0

Among some people in the Braves organization, there's a thought that all they need to do this month is stay close in the National League East race.

The idea is that if the young Nationals get to September with a one- or two-game lead, the more-experienced Braves may be able to fly right past them.

The Braves players aren't sure the theory is sound. They're not counting on the Nationals to crumble, once they realize they're in a pennant race.

But they also know that there's only one way to find out:

Keep winning. Stay close.

"We're playing full-court press," Michael Bourn said. "Rick Pitino, old-school style."

They've had to. Over their last 17 games going into Sunday night, the Braves were 13-4.

They began that 17-game stretch 4 1/2 games behind the Nationals. They ended it 4 1/2 games behind the Nationals, who had an eight-game winning streak snapped on Sunday afternoon against the Diamondbacks.

The Braves and Nationals meet next week in Washington, for three of their six remaining head-to-head games. The Braves lead into that series with seven home games against the Padres and Dodgers, while the Nationals play three games in San Francisco and three at home against the Mets.

The Braves would love to come to Washington with maybe two games separating the two teams atop the NL East. But they've come to respect the Nationals to the point that they believe the race will go to the end of September.

"I don't foresee them going anywhere," Chipper Jones said. "Their starting staff is too strong, and they have dominant bullpen guys, guys who play their roles well.

"Davey [Johnson] has done a great job, and their everyday guys, they've got a bunch of guys who want it. A kid like [Bryce] Harper is in a very good situation, being brought up in the game the right way. I've been really impressed by them."

Entering play Sunday night, the Braves had what amounted to a five-game lead in the wild-card race (they held the first of two wild-card spots, with a five-game lead over the team that ranked third). But with the new playoff system that forces wild-card teams into a one-game playoff, while ushering division winners directly into the Division Series, the Braves aren't talking wild card.

"Our eyes are on the prize," Bourn said.

With a full-court press.

On to 3 to Watch:

1. The Nationals-Giants series features Ryan Vogelsong (starting Monday), who leads the National League ERA race. It features Jordan Zimmermann (starting Tuesday), who is second behind Vogelsong. It features Gio Gonzalez (starting Monday), whose .209 batting average against is the lowest among all NL starters. It features Madison Bumgarner (starting Tuesday), who has the exact same ERA as Cole Hamels, who just signed for $144 million. But if you're looking for star power, you have to look at Stephen Strasburg vs. Tim Lincecum, in Nationals at Giants, Wednesday afternoon (3:45 ET) at AT&T Park. Lincecum's ERA of 5.35 is easily the highest of anyone starting in the series, and ranks 54th among the 55 full-time NL starting pitchers (Randy Wolf, at 5.46, is the only one worse). But Lincecum also has a 2.72 ERA in his last starts. And he's Tim Lincecum. He's facing Stephen Strasburg. I'm watching.

2. The Braves have had to remake their rotation, but they've done so successfully, signing Ben Sheets as a comeback free agent, trading for Paul Maholm (after getting turned down by Ryan Dempster) and turning Kris Medlen into a starter. Medlen gets the least attention, but he has a 1.62 ERA since moving to the rotation, and the Braves have won all three of his starts. He starts again in Padres at Braves, Thursday night (7:10 ET) at Turner Field. The Braves look at the Padres series as a possible chance to make up ground, but the Padres have won seven of nine, including two of three over the weekend in Pittsburgh. Jason Marquis, who faces Medlen on Thursday, threw a two-hit shutout Saturday against the Pirates.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #179: August 12, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »
“@DKnobler: Nationals have kept winning (until today), but Braves promise to keep up "full-court press" in the NL East. 3 to Watch. http://t.co/XmjxFLt0

Nice article. The Braves are going to have to keep up if they have any chance of catching up to us. The Nationals have earned their respect, and they know this is going to be a tough race. This will be exciting down the stretch!

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #180: August 12, 2012, 11:42:58 PM »
It doesn't matter what athletes say.  "Full-court press"?  That term doesn't mean anything to me.  It could mean this:

1. The Braves heavily rely on their stud relievers, even in games that they're tied or losing by little in.
2. No rest for their regulars. I can't think of a bench option they want to work in the way Moore and Bernadina get worked in.

That's all I can think of.  What else can they possibly do?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #181: August 12, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »
It doesn't matter what athletes say.  "Full-court press"?  That term doesn't mean anything to me.  It could mean this:

1. The Braves heavily rely on their stud relievers, even in games that they're tied or losing by little in.
2. No rest for their regulars. I can't think of a bench option they want to work in the way Moore and Bernadina get worked in.

It means they're going to try and keep winning... to catch the Nats if they slip up.

Pretty simple, actually!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #182: August 12, 2012, 11:48:11 PM »

Basically, they want to keep "game pressure" on the Nats.  They want to keep the pressure on the Nats and not let them get too comfortable, keep playing well so if the Nats do buckle under the pressure, they'll be right there and ready to pounce and take the division from the Nats.  That's really all they're trying to do...much like the Cardinals did last year.

« Reply #183: August 12, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »
Ah, I'm sure the Braves will avoid those losing streaks they were prone to early in the year by wanting it more, keeping up the pressure, and keeping their eyes on the prize.

Bonus points if they employ a full-court press, play fundamental National League baseball, clutch up and get timely hitting.

Furthermore, the Braves should score more runs than the opposition.  Hit to the right side after a leadoff double, perhaps. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #184: August 13, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »
Ah, I'm sure the Braves will avoid those losing streaks they were prone to early in the year by wanting it more, keeping up the pressure, and keeping their eyes on the prize.

Bonus points if they employ a full-court press, play fundamental National League baseball, clutch up and get timely hitting.

Furthermore, the Braves should score more runs than the opposition.  Hit to the right side after a leadoff double, perhaps. 

You shouldn't take things so literally.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #185: August 13, 2012, 12:06:50 AM »

You alright, man?  Did your girlfriend break up with you?  Corner gas station out of Bud Light?

« Reply #186: August 13, 2012, 12:15:34 AM »
You alright, man?  Did your girlfriend break up with you?  Corner gas station out of Bud Light?

:shrug:

No, just a little miffed that the best baseball team is being set up to fail by the media for dubious reasons.

Strasburg's shutdown, scrapheap rotation pickups by the Braves, and now reports that they're going to try really hard.  I want to see a balanced analysis.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #187: August 13, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »
Strasburg's shutdown, scrapheap rotation pickups by the Braves, and now reports that they're going to try really hard.  I want to see a balanced analysis.
But that wasn't analysis, it was reporting on what the Braves players are saying.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #188: August 13, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »
When was the last time you saw "balanced analysis" about anything?  The new guys will always be viewed skeptically until they achieve something.  And we haven't yet.

Offline PC

« Reply #189: August 13, 2012, 12:27:13 AM »
When was the last time you saw "balanced analysis" about anything?  The new guys will always be viewed skeptically until they achieve something.  And we haven't yet.

Well, the "old guys" have already proven that they suck, see September 2011.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #190: August 13, 2012, 01:03:39 AM »

I've about concluded that they young guys have played enough that they are no longer "kids". Pretty much second-year players.

What have they achieved? First place most of the season, in spite of a mountain of injuries. Harper should have been in AAA until July. He was the only hitter for a few weeks. Lombo learned LF when they put him out in "the pasture", Tyler Moor had a few games in the OF while at AAA, but not many. We though Bernadina was a "never get there". He has streaked. Storen has just returned. And they'ved played since the Cincy series without Ramos.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #191: August 13, 2012, 08:45:26 AM »
It means they're going to try and keep winning... to catch the Nats if they slip up.

Pretty simple, actually!

Which is why it's such an empty, inane comment. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #192: August 13, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »
It's not a hard concept to comprehend, though, either.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #193: August 13, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »
I am just glad we are not a coin toss. A more or less .500 record for eternity would be a little bit of a buzz kill.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #194: August 13, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »
I am just glad we are not a coin toss. A more or less .500 record for eternity would be a little bit of a buzz kill.

:lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #195: August 13, 2012, 12:09:06 PM »
I've about concluded that they young guys have played enough that they are no longer "kids". Pretty much second-year players.

What have they achieved? First place most of the season, in spite of a mountain of injuries. Harper should have been in AAA until July. He was the only hitter for a few weeks. Lombo learned LF when they put him out in "the pasture", Tyler Moor had a few games in the OF while at AAA, but not many. We though Bernadina was a "never get there". He has streaked. Storen has just returned. And they'ved played since the Cincy series without Ramos.

I guess I don't view that as achievement.  I view that as being able to lead the race after the 9th hurdle.  But if they stumble on the 10th, it won't matter.  The achievement will be in what happens in the final stretch. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #196: August 13, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
I guess I don't view that as achievement.  I view that as being able to lead the race after the 9th hurdle.  But if they stumble on the 10th, it won't matter.  The achievement will be in what happens in the final stretch. 

Couldn't agree more.

Leading is great... but it doesn't mean much if you can't finish the race. The race, of course, is the race to make the playoffs... not necessarily the World Series.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #197: August 13, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »

That was surprisingly harsh coming from you (especially considering he had a point - sports cliches as most of an article renders it virtually useless.)

Offline blue911

« Reply #198: August 13, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
That was surprisingly harsh coming from you (especially considering he had a point - sports cliches as most of an article renders it virtually useless.)

Did you notice that the Braves aren't giving it 110%, slackers. Probably won't play it one game at a time either.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #199: August 13, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »

Didn't mean it that way.  It just seemed like a disproportionate response to a rather mundane concept.  Wasn't trying to be harsh.  Sometimes that's difficult to convey with this format.