Author Topic: Bryce Harper Discussion  (Read 21533 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Bryce Harper Discussion
« Reply #150: June 11, 2009, 03:42:05 PM »
So this kid is now a sophomore. I don't think I like this idea. I bet this kid never amounts to anything.
I don't either and I hope MLB amends their draft policy before every HS sophomore across the country tries to do the same thing.  Before you know it, some JHS parent will start concocting some c-ockamamie scheme to get their kid drafted.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #151: June 11, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »
so, you're saying we should start a Brian Harper countdown thread?

A Bryce Harper thread would be better.

Bryan Harper is his older brother (Nats drafted but did not sign him out of HS in 2008)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #152: June 11, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
Yes, that's what I meant.  heh, Bryce Harper.   :-[

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #153: June 11, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
Right. Great article in SI about him. Well worth the read. He's completely full of himself, but that's expected. The kid's entire life reminds me of the description of the great white shark in jaws. It's as if his family has created a single-minded machine that does absolutely nothing other than obsess over baseball.

The kid is pretty sick in terms of what he does physically, but his dominance at the HS level can be attributed partially to him being so obsessed and physically large for his age (6-3 205). But his bat speed is insane. And to their credit, he hasn't just been playing in leagues with kids his age using a metal bat. He has competed in almost every type of tournament (including wooden bats) and tried to get as much exposure against older players as possible. He's actually gotten more playing time than a lot of people in the minors.

While it is impossible to assume he could maintain his dominance as he moves to the pros, his physical talent is undeniable. But his drive to succeed is probably the most impressive element that makes him worth having around. Boras will ask for the moon for that kid.

One of the reasons to go to JuCo is to get more exposure against older players. If he pans out, he could make it to bigs before he is 20.

Agreed... I've read the article, he's extremely confident in himself (not too humble). But he also likes old-school baseball, and he works very hard. It would be an interesting contrast to the laidback attitude here lol.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #154: June 11, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »
I don't either and I hope MLB amends their draft policy before every HS sophomore across the country tries to do the same thing.  Before you know it, some JHS parent will start concocting some cockamamie scheme to get their kid drafted.

I understand the concern, but he is maintaining a 3.9 HS GPA. Yeah, sure, something hinky could be going on, but 3.9?

Harper is a special case. Other players could try it but they would not get drafted.

Harper is honestly one of those unique cases like Griffey or A-Rod ... so far and away better than his contemporaries that he can take the next step earlier.

Kids out of the Dominican get signed at his age (and younger).

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #155: June 11, 2009, 03:47:37 PM »
A Bryce Harper thread would be better.

Bryan Harper is his older brother (Nats drafted but did not sign him out of HS in 2008)

What was the issue with him?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #156: June 11, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »

I'm surprised that noone has tried moving to the Dominican as an alternative.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #157: June 11, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »
In the not so distant future, I wouldn't be surprised if most sports team (including baseball) have academies that are comprised of kids as young as 16.  It is obviously the direction sports development is headed.  In Europe they already have the system in place for soccer, where kids are signed much younger than 16, are boarded at the academies, educated similar to a high school, and then are also specially instructed in their trade (whatever sport you play).  They do a similar thing in the Dominican also for baseball.  IMG already has academies down in Brandenton, Florida, in which many players on the current US soccer squad started attending when they were 16.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #158: June 11, 2009, 03:51:12 PM »
This kid wants to be a Yankee, so I say, draft him, sign him, have him be a stud for a couple years, and trade him while he's still in our control. This kid's ego in enormous.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #159: June 11, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »
In the not so distant future, I wouldn't be surprised if most sports team (including baseball) have academies that are comprised of kids as young as 16.  It is obviously the direction sports development is headed.  In Europe they already have the system in place for soccer, where kids are signed much younger than 16, are boarded at the academies, educated similar to a high school, and then are also specially instructed in their trade (whatever sport you play).  They do a similar thing in the Dominican also for baseball.  IMG already has academies down in Brandenton, Florida, in which many players on the current US soccer squad started attending when they were 16.

They have one in Florida for elite worldwide tennis prodigies also. Maria Sharapova went there I know, don't remember who else.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #160: June 11, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »
In the not so distant future, I wouldn't be surprised if most sports team (including baseball) have academies that are comprised of kids as young as 16.  It is obviously the direction sports development is headed.  In Europe they already have the system in place for soccer, where kids are signed much younger than 16, are boarded at the academies, educated similar to a high school, and then are also specially instructed in their trade (whatever sport you play).  IMG already has academies down in Brandenton, Florida, in which many players on the current US soccer squad started attending when they were 16.

the huge problem I could see with doing that here is the ability of minors to renounce contracts upon reaching their majority. I.e., A top ranked prospect turning 18 and saying thanks for the traning and the expense, but I'd like to be a free agent/reenter the draft/get anouther signing bonus.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #161: June 11, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »
They have one in Florida for elite worldwide tennis prodigies also. Maria Sharapova went there I know, don't remember who else.

Yeah, IMG started academies for baseball, basketball, and football just in the past couple years.  Eventually, I can see the academies being run by individual teams (akin to the European model) rather than by agencies.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #162: June 11, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »
the huge problem I could see with doing that here is the ability of minors to renounce contracts upon reaching their majority. I.e., A top ranked prospect turning 18 and saying thanks for the traning and the expense, but I'd like to be a free agent/reenter the draft/get anouther signing bonus.

Well, it would obviously mean the end of the drafting system.  The whole system would have to be reworked, just like it had to be when soccer switched to the model decades ago.  The model of youth contracts for young players would have to be used, just like it is in Europe.

IMO, the draft is already standing on its hind legs and the path we are headed with the recruiting of kids so young is a dangerous, slippery slope.  Something is going to have to be done eventually.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #163: June 11, 2009, 03:55:13 PM »
What was the issue with him?

Drafted too low. He decided to go to school and attempt to go higher

I'm surprised that noone has tried moving to the Dominican as an alternative.

He would have to renounce his citizenship and I believe live there for a year. They have already said they aren't doing it

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #164: June 11, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »
Yeah, IMG started academies for baseball, basketball, and football just in the past couple years.  Eventually, I can see the academies being run by individual teams (akin to the European model) rather than by agencies.

I doubt MLB would approve of that. It would literally be the end of all small market teams.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #165: June 11, 2009, 03:57:37 PM »
I doubt MLB would approve of that. It would literally be the end of all small market teams.

why?  no team has unlimited resources to sign every player.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #166: June 11, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »
why?  no team has unlimited resources to sign every player.

imagine MLB goes through with this. the red sox and yankees then create ginormous academies, they give out tons of scholarships, etc. and in return they get these players when they turn 18. meanwhile, the minnesota twins of the world can't even afford to go through with this. yanks and sox get all the best prospects, and the best FAs, and they own life. the end.

MLB NEEDS A CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #167: June 11, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
spider, yeah from time-to-time i've hyped up our farm (although i don't think we're in top 5 or top 10 at all) ... but if some can't be excited for the future, than what can they be pumped for? 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #168: June 11, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »
imagine MLB goes through with this. the red sox and yankees then create ginormous academies, they give out tons of scholarships, etc. and in return they get these players when they turn 18. meanwhile, the minnesota twins of the world can't even afford to go through with this. yanks and sox get all the best prospects, and the best FAs, and they own life. the end.

MLB NEEDS A CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

doesn't think happen the in DR?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #169: June 11, 2009, 04:03:08 PM »
spider, yeah from time-to-time i've hyped up our farm (although i don't think we're in top 5 or top 10 at all) ... but if some can't be excited for the future, than what can they be pumped for? 

t-shirt tuesdays?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #170: June 11, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
The model of youth contracts for young players would have to be used, just like it is in Europe.

In most states no contract made in your minority is binding if you renounce it within a certain time of reaching majority. Unless the MLB can convience those states to change their common law, there would be nothing to prevent the players from leaving the teams they had been with and going elsewhere.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #171: June 11, 2009, 04:07:14 PM »
In most states no contract made in your minority is binding if you renounce it within a certain time of reaching majority. Unless the MLB can convience those states to change their common law, there would be nothing to prevent the players from leaving the teams they had been with and going elsewhere.

Youth contracts are not binding, they just give the academy team the first chance to negotiate with a player.

I understand what you are getting at though.  This was one of the original problems when they converted to the academy system in England and it was a major issue when UEFA banded together under the EU.

Offline blue911

« Reply #172: June 11, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »

See: Beltre, Adrian.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #173: June 11, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »
exciting news. :clap:

It is a lock we get the #1 pick so it is never too early to start looking ahead to next year's draft.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #174: June 11, 2009, 04:10:17 PM »
I understand the concern, but he is maintaining a 3.9 HS GPA. Yeah, sure, something hinky could be going on, but 3.9?

Harper is a special case. Other players could try it but they would not get drafted.

Harper is honestly one of those unique cases like Griffey or A-Rod ... so far and away better than his contemporaries that he can take the next step earlier.

Right. While there is no guarantee that some phenom pans out, that is what this kid is. He is, as you say, a very extreme case. The LeBron comparison is not over the top. Mainly because that type of stand out at the HS sophomore level just doesn't really happen in baseball. This kid is unique. I don't see a legitimate coach or advisor encouraging an average or even the typical top performing kid at that age to go for the draft that young in normal circumstances in lieu of the extra value from continued development.