Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 73024 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood
« Reply #50: August 03, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »
My one thought on Destin, that was probably masked in HS, was what I'll call the "Pedro Cerrano Issue".  Fastball, he hit very very good.... curveball, Jobu has not guided him yet.

They are feeding him a steady diet of slop, and he's having a bit of trouble adjusting right now.  But we're all of what, 20 some-odd at bats since his bump?  This is why he's here, to learn.   But if you want to find a weakness right this second, from my perspective, thats it.  He's smooth as glass in the outfield.

as always great insight rob!

the kid is 19 years old and i think he'll be able to adjust.

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #51: August 03, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »
that's not completely true.  even bryce harper isn't perfect and he has some issues/areas he needs to work on until he becomes a great player.

i'd guarantee you crabtree can note one or two things hood can work on.

First, no i have no relation to Michael, haha, sorry.  Second, about what he needs to work on.  When we would have batting practice, we would occasionally switch the machine to throw curves, and Destin had a hard time adjusting to this curve.  It was a pro style with much more break than anyone would see in high school, but he worked hard to improve, staying late, taking extra cuts.  He could use some work there.  Also, something that might not arise from a player of his power, but i noticed one day when he was being scouted, he could not bunt worth a flip!  I was actually shocked that a guy of his talent couldn't do the fundamental bunt!  I'll post the stats in two posts, his junior year and his senior year.

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #52: August 03, 2009, 11:41:57 PM »
freak that! Hey Crab, get Jake Peavy to demand a trade to the Nats!

Haha, so i see you have found out about the other famous alum from my high school.  Yes, Jake Peavy also went to my high school, he actually pitched BP to us one day, and Destin hit 2 HR's off him, first 2 pitches!  I personally flailed around in the box at his amazing slider, haha.  But if i see him around, I'll put in a good word for the Nats.

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #53: August 03, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »
Welcome crab, feel free to post all the Destin stuff here you want to.  Does he have any good nicknames?  Supersticions?

Destin did not have many nicknames, he mostly was called "D-Hood", but that's about it.  But as for his superstitions, he had one that i can think of now, but it was a team thing mostly.  We found a crab beanie baby in one of our team buses, and it became a good luck charm, and before every game, Destin would kiss the crab and then hit the field.  Another ritual he did was that after a playoff win, he would run to left field, and do a Ozzie Smith cartwheel and backflip.  It was quite a sight seeing a big guy like him fly through the air, haha.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #54: August 03, 2009, 11:55:34 PM »
Destin did not have many nicknames, he mostly was called "D-Hood", but that's about it.  But as for his superstitions, he had one that i can think of now, but it was a team thing mostly.  We found a crab beanie baby in one of our team buses, and it became a good luck charm, and before every game, Destin would kiss the crab and then hit the field.  Another ritual he did was that after a playoff win, he would run to left field, and do a Ozzie Smith cartwheel and backflip.  It was quite a sight seeing a big guy like him fly through the air, haha.
RobRyan, you've got to get on this.

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #55: August 04, 2009, 12:00:24 AM »
Junior Year:

Hitting:
34 G, 107 AB, 47 R, 52 H, 13 2B, 4 3B, 4 HR, 32 RBI, .486 AVG, .563 OBP, .794 SLG, 9 SO, 9 BB, 6 HBP, 23 SB, 0 CS

Fielding:
34 G, 33 GS, 48 A, 18 PO, 6 E All starts this year at SS

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #56: August 04, 2009, 12:03:28 AM »
Junior Year:

Hitting:
34 G, 107 AB, 47 R, 52 H, 13 2B, 4 3B, 4 HR, 32 RBI, .486 AVG, .563 OBP, .794 SLG, 9 SO, 9 BB, 6 HBP, 23 SB, 0 CS

Fielding:
34 G, 33 GS, 48 A, 18 PO, 6 E All starts this year at SS

:az: thanks

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #57: August 04, 2009, 12:04:56 AM »
Senior Year:

Hitting:
33 G, 99 AB, 41 R, 48 H, 8 2B, 1 3B, 8 HR, 32 RBI, .485 AVG, .563 OBP, .828 SLG, 13 SO, 16 BB, 7 HBP, 17 SB, 2 CS

Fielding:
33 G, 33 GS, 41 PO (7 OF A), 29 PO, 3 E, 8 Starts at LF

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #58: August 04, 2009, 01:57:26 AM »
Yes, Jake Peavy also went to my high school, he actually pitched BP to us one day, and Destin hit 2 HR's off him, first 2 pitches!
Shiet!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #59: August 04, 2009, 02:25:23 PM »

Great stuff!  Kiss the crab   :lol:

Just as long as he didn't kiss the crab(tree) he's probably okay, right?

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #60: August 04, 2009, 07:06:08 PM »
Great stuff!  Kiss the crab   :lol:

Just as long as he didn't kiss the crab(tree) he's probably okay, right?

Haha, yea, let's not go that far.

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #61: August 05, 2009, 02:06:43 AM »
Destin not doin too bad, his average may be low right now, but he has driven in 6 runs so far in 9 games.  Looking good so far, keep up man!

Offline RobRyan

• Radio Voice of the VT LM
« Reply #62: August 07, 2009, 11:41:19 PM »
Destin Hood CRUSHED a ball to the deepest part of the ball park tonight for an RBI triple.  Had it been to the shallow-er part of CF, it would have cleared 405 easy.  Base of the wall at about 415.  First x-base hit as Monster.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #63: August 08, 2009, 11:28:49 AM »
Destin Hood CRUSHED a ball to the deepest part of the ball park tonight for an RBI triple.  Had it been to the shallow-er part of CF, it would have cleared 405 easy.  Base of the wall at about 415.  First x-base hit as Monster.

:az: :worship: :clap:

thanks for the intel.  love me some destin hood.

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #64: August 08, 2009, 04:37:01 PM »
UPDATE: Was just in the clubhouse, and Hood tells me he broke his bat on that blast.  So, yeah.  Holy crap.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #65: August 08, 2009, 05:06:41 PM »
UPDATE: Was just in the clubhouse, and Hood tells me he broke his bat on that blast.  So, yeah.  Holy crap.

he broke his bat on a 400 foot triple ... what a stud :clap:

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #66: August 08, 2009, 10:12:44 PM »

Wow, that's quite a feat.  He did break a few aluminum bats during the years I played with him, but that doesn't compare to breaking a wooden bat and having it travel 400+ feet.  Keep it goin D-Hood!

Offline First Base Lady

« Reply #67: August 12, 2009, 01:09:30 PM »
And my little nephew who was one of the bat boys that night got that bat!

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #68: August 14, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
Hood just hit a frozen rope over the left field fence for his first Vermont HR.... and it ties the game at 3-3 in the 6th.  And I had my intern on the call!!  Booooo!  LOL

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #69: August 14, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »
Hood just hit a frozen rope over the left field fence for his first Vermont HR.... and it ties the game at 3-3 in the 6th.  And I had my intern on the call!!  Booooo!  LOL
niceee. thanks for the update :clap:

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #70: August 14, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »
Hood gets a sac fly and and RBI to give the Monsters a 4-3 lead.  JR Higley follows with a sac fly of his own, 5-3 final, as teh 5 game losing streak is OVA.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #71: August 15, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »

:worship: ROB RYAN FOR THE WIN!!! :worship:

destin hood is not human.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #72: August 15, 2009, 01:45:27 PM »
looking forward to D. Hood's first full season next year...I think he should be able to propel himself into the top 100 after next year just like Norris...

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #73: August 20, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
During a half inning where I had the Boston Gobe/ESPN's Bob Ryan in the booth with me, Destin goes long ball.

2-3, 2 RBIs, his 2nd HR of the season here in Vermont.  Monsters up 3-0, top 5.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #74: August 21, 2009, 10:15:40 AM »
During a half inning where I had the Boston Gobe/ESPN's Bob Ryan in the booth with me, Destin goes long ball.

2-3, 2 RBIs, his 2nd HR of the season here in Vermont.  Monsters up 3-0, top 5.

Saw that last night when I got in.

:worship: Destin Hood :worship: