Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 73024 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood
« Reply #375: March 03, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
If we still have Morse at that time, I'd rather have Morse move to 1st and Werth to RF or LF.

again morse is only under contract for two years.  we'll see.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #376: March 03, 2012, 11:53:01 PM »
So what you're positing is (post LaRoche trade)
2012: Morse 1B, someone-Werth-Harper
2013: Morse 1B, Werth-[Bourn]-Harper
2014: Werth 1B, Hood-[Bourn]-Harper
?

Actually I'd say the single most beneficial development over 2012 is not Harper being able to start in center - it's Michael Taylor being able to start in center. If we lucked out and that happened, you'd have a stud outfield that would also cost a lot less than Bourn (hellooo, Greinke) and be easily tradeable if even better players come along.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #377: March 04, 2012, 12:05:51 AM »
I believe a factor in the CF situation relies on: A) Hood in the minors and B) Werth/Harper playing CF

B will only happen if Morse is still in LF when Harper comes up. We'll see how it works and it could possibly affect our lineup next year. Reason being, LaRoche has one year left and Morse will shift to 1b clearing up a spot. It also matters if Desmond/whoever does decent enough in the first basespot. Either way, I'd like to give Hood a chance because if he can hit like Justin Upton (I have a feeling he could be a J Upton-Lite) then that'd be a huge player to have in the lineup.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #378: March 04, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »
again morse is only under contract for two years.  we'll see.

That's why I said "if".

Werth at 1B sucks... he'll be guaranteed to underperform.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #379: March 04, 2012, 08:12:33 AM »
So what you're positing is (post LaRoche trade)
I suspect you mean when he lands on the 60 day DL or gets his unconditional release. Zuckerman jinxed him early.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #380: March 04, 2012, 10:04:53 AM »
If Goodwin and/or  Taylor look like they could take over CF in 2 years (by 2014), you could see 2 years of Werth in CF.  LaRoche has an option, so really him and Morse are under team control for 2 years.   If only one pans out, there is a short window for Hood in LF maybe in September 2012 and 2013.

I still suspect Hood's most likely role for this team will be trade bait.  Not that there's anything wrong with that if it brings quality back when we need it.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #381: March 04, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »
And I agree to disagree.  Plus, I like his potential.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #382: March 04, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
And I agree to disagree.  Plus, I like his potential.

Don't know what you are disagreeing with.  I like his potential too. 

Maybe we just disagree on when his window is.  I'm thinking it is sooner than most, and most likely if they decide to fill the CF hole internally with Werth as a stop gap and then Taylor / Goodwin.  Hood's best scenario here is if one of LaRoche or Morse is not here next year and if Werth is in center.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #383: March 04, 2012, 10:40:13 AM »
Don't know what you are disagreeing with.  I like his potential too. 

Maybe we just disagree on when his window is.  I'm thinking it is sooner than most, and most likely if they decide to fill the CF hole internally with Werth as a stop gap and then Taylor / Goodwin.  Hood's best scenario here is if one of LaRoche or Morse is not here next year and if Werth is in center.

I'm saying I think he'll get a shot and we shouldn't trade him. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #384: March 04, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »
Also one of my favorite prospects. I think he's going to hit well in the majors. Also, he's only 21 right? He hasn't reached his "power potential".

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #385: March 04, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »
I'm saying I think he'll get a shot and we shouldn't trade him. 

He's not saying whether the Nats should or shouldn't, he's just saying he thinks that Hood will be trade bait.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #386: March 04, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
Hammonds and I disagree a bit on whether saying someone is trade bait is a slight.  I figure teams will only give you anything if they think the guy will be good.  Hammonds I think believes that if a guy is good, why move him? 

Because I am SSS, I figure we get decent return on trades.  Because he is LoD and a huge fan of the farm system, he figures we don't get fair value on trades. 

I/M/O, the farm system should just develop good players regardless of position because any surplus or blockage works itself out through injury, trade, or failure at higher levels.  Hood just needs to be the best he can be, and things will work out for him and the Nats.   I do think he has a good shot to be a September call up or to play for the Nats in 2013 if Werth is in CF at those times.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #387: March 04, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
If Goodwin and/or  Taylor look like they could take over CF in 2 years (by 2014), you could see 2 years of Werth in CF.  LaRoche has an option, so really him and Morse are under team control for 2 years.   If only one pans out, there is a short window for Hood in LF maybe in September 2012 and 2013.

I still suspect Hood's most likely role for this team will be trade bait.  Not that there's anything wrong with that if it brings quality back when we need it.

i still think for the next 4-5 years it's harper / werth at the corners and either a CF/Leadoff guy, or one of Goodwin/Taylor.  Morse either goes to 1B or we trade him next year before his contract runs out.  I "love" Hood having seen him a half-dozen times, but I just don't think we find a home for him in the OF anytime soon.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #388: March 05, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
He's not saying whether the Nats should or shouldn't, he's just saying he thinks that Hood will be trade bait.

Yeah no crap Sherlock.

And JCA it has nothing to do with LOD.  Wtf?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #389: March 06, 2012, 09:11:28 AM »
Hammonds - My impression is that you are a big fan of the farm system and don't think Rizzo gets fair value back in trade, so you are skeptical of trading prospects most of the time.  Me, I have some trust in Rizzo to get fair value, so if he deals a prospect, I'm OK with that. 

Your posts seem to say that saying a guy is trade bait is an insult to the player.  I just don't see that.  I buy into acquiring prospects when you are building, and trading them when you need a piece to finish a product.  I think we are close enough to be working on finishing the product (hence SSS). 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #390: March 06, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
Hammonds - My impression is that you are a big fan of the farm system and don't think Rizzo gets fair value back in trade, so you are skeptical of trading prospects most of the time.  Me, I have some trust in Rizzo to get fair value, so if he deals a prospect, I'm OK with that. 

you couldn't be more wrong.  that's not how i feel.

Your posts seem to say that saying a guy is trade bait is an insult to the player.  I just don't see that.  I buy into acquiring prospects when you are building, and trading them when you need a piece to finish a product.  I think we are close enough to be working on finishing the product (hence SSS). 

when did i say that?  are you even in the right thread and addressing the right poster?  all i said is i think Hood will (and even should) get a shot with this club when he's ready. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #391: March 06, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »
OK.  I have you wrong.  I misread reply #383, I guess.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #392: March 06, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »

hammonds just has an enormous mancrush on hood, so he doesn't want him traded

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #393: March 06, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »

This. 8)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #394: March 06, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

no i just think he can fill a spot for the club.  if they are serious about werth/harper playing CF, then there is a spot open for Hood/Taylor.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #395: March 06, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »
This. 8)

you just mad norris isn't a nat anymore :lmao: 8)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #396: March 06, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
no i just think he can fill a spot for the club.  if they are serious about werth/harper playing CF, then there is a spot open for Hood/Taylor.
Yes, I think it is entirely dependent on whether they sign a White Whale or fill the CF spot internally until Perez/ Goodwin / Taylor takes over CF.  If they go with the internal route (LAC!), then Hood has a window to make the team as LF.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #397: March 06, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
well if that's the case (LAC!), then we'll most likely see him lol.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #398: March 06, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »
I wonder if Hood could play CF?
He has great speed, and by all accounts, an incredible arm.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #399: March 06, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
I wonder if Hood could play CF?
He has great speed, and by all accounts, an incredible arm.

i saw him a bunch of times at Potomac, I don't think he's quick enough to play CF.  He played RF in A (Eury Perez was the CF).  I think the Nats have their sights set on Goodwin or Taylor in CF unless someone falls into their lap.