Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 73024 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood
« Reply #350: February 20, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »
hope to see this guy log some major innings this spring at the big league level.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #351: February 20, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »
hope to see this guy log some major innings this spring at the big league level.

I doubt it. He wasn't invited to the big league camp, nor is he a NRI.

Next year I think he'll get a ton of ABs.

Of course, I think he'll get a lot more than the one AB he got in 2011. :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #352: February 20, 2012, 11:53:11 AM »
I doubt it. He wasn't invited to the big league camp, nor is he a NRI.

Next year I think he'll get a ton of ABs.

Of course, I think he'll get a lot more than the one AB he got in 2011. :lol:

yeah not saying plenty of starts, but at least more action he had last year.  he also came in as a pinch runner/defensive replacement in the yanks game on TV when norris hit the game winner. 

get some ABs at least.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #353: March 02, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »
Quote from: William Ladson
#Nats manager Davey Johnson called OF Destin Hood the most improved Minor League player in the system followed by Michael Taylor. #MLB

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #354: March 02, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »
Quote from: Adam Kilgore
Minors OF Destin Hood could've played football at Alabama starting in '08. Doug Harris said to him this spring, "Gave up another ring, huh?"

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #355: March 02, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
Quote from: Adam Kilgore
Hood, by the way, has the same body as Bryce Harper. He came to the major league side as an extra man against GTown. Totally fits in

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #356: March 02, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »
That's the report we've all heard.

He looks like a man among boys in the low minors.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #357: March 02, 2012, 02:52:17 PM »
I'm getting all :az: at the thought of Hood-Taylor-Harper in the outfield, kicking ass and taking names for the Nats.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #358: March 02, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
Yea, we signed Albatross. And Goodwin.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #359: March 02, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
Ah yes, forgot about Goodwin.  He could easily be in Taylor's place.

Maybe Albatross will get moved to 1B or traded or something. :pray:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #360: March 02, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
I wonder how much contract they'd have to eat to move Werth, $50 million?

Offline RD

« Reply #361: March 02, 2012, 04:33:01 PM »
Werth potentially moving to first is one reason to not put Rendon at first. We've got some talent coming up in the OF. If he can handle 2b, that may be the best possible scenario(based on our organizational depth and where his bat will carry most value).

Can't imagine being able to move Werth. This is where I wish the deal was front loaded, because we would have already have eaten a good chunk, and might be a viable trade candidate 2/3/4 years in. With it backloaded, we're stuck.

Im expecting big things from Hood this year. Huge fan of his, and would love to see him patrolling the OF with Harper in the future. Hope the growth continues this year, and gives us another young, exciting OF.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #362: March 02, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
Don (DC)
So tell me about Destin Hood? His name is starting to pop up around here as a future corner OF for my Nats.

Klaw (4:18 PM)
I like him as a solid-regular, probably not much better than that, but as a high-OBP/high-doubles guy, not a 25-30 HR guy.

Offline RD

« Reply #363: March 03, 2012, 01:59:28 AM »
I think its a bit early to limit Hood, on any level, power wise. The guy just doubled his career power output and ranked in the top ten in the league in home runs and doubles. Considering his status as a raw athlete that is trending up, I don't see any reason to expect him to not continue to grow.

Im not predicting a .300 30 HR career out of Hood, but I can definitely see him hitting 25 home runs at the big league level.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #364: March 03, 2012, 09:01:03 AM »
Idk if anyone else find this comparison accurate but I when I look at Hood I automatically think of Torrii Hunter. Both guys have similar frames (Hunter is an inch taller) and amazing athleticism (Hood more so then Hunter). Hunter hit .270/.334/.417 in the minors while Hood is currently hitting .279/.345/.416.

Can't wait to see this guy in the majors. He is my favorite guy in our farm system (sans Harper and Rendon)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #365: March 03, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
I'm projecting this kind of career:

.280-.285 AVG
15-25 HR
30-40 2B
15-20 SB

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #366: March 03, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »
I'm guessing Hood and Eury Perez in Harrisburg for half the season, then (hopefully good enough) to Syracuse for the second half. Harrisburg is not far...not far from DC or NYC...and the ballpark is a great place to watch a game.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #367: March 03, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »
I'm guessing Hood and Eury Perez in Harrisburg for half the season, then (hopefully good enough) to Syracuse for the second half. Harrisburg is not far...not far from DC or NYC...and the ballpark is a great place to watch a game.

If Perez gets to Syracuse this season I'll be completely shocked. Guy had a bad year (.640 OPS) in Potomac last year, needs to prove he can actually handle high-A before we talk Syracuse.

Hood, though, could get there if he lights up AA. Very encouraged by his season last year.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #368: March 03, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
If Perez gets to Syracuse this season I'll be completely shocked. Guy had a bad year (.640 OPS) in Potomac last year, needs to prove he can actually handle high-A before we talk Syracuse.

Hood, though, could get there if he lights up AA. Very encouraged by his season last year.

Yes. I was thinking of Hood perhaps getting the 1/2 season at AAA. Perez should work at Harrisburg, where, I think, CF is open.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #369: March 03, 2012, 09:58:56 PM »
I hope Hood has another tremendous year. It'll be very exciting to see us have another raw bat in the lineup.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #370: March 03, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »
I hope Hood has another tremendous year. It'll be very exciting to see us have another raw bat in the lineup.

The only problem with Hood is that he's ultimately blocked for the next 5 years or so.  Werth will eventually shift over to LF and Hood isn't a CF.  Best hope is that he has a great year in Harrisburg and maybe is trade bait for a CF or some other need.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #371: March 03, 2012, 10:57:26 PM »
The only problem with Hood is that he's ultimately blocked for the next 5 years or so.  Werth will eventually shift over to LF and Hood isn't a CF.  Best hope is that he has a great year in Harrisburg and maybe is trade bait for a CF or some other need.

that's not true ... werth/harper could play CF. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #372: March 03, 2012, 11:10:57 PM »
that's not true ... werth/harper could play CF. 

My assumption is that they go for a real CF at some point in the next year, maybe Bourn if the Braves can't extend him.  At that point you've got 3 long-term players locked into the OF.  I don't think Werth is the long-term answer in CF, especially not in 2013 and beyond when Hood could conceivably be knocking on the door.

It would be interesting to see if Harper could play CF, that would certainly solve a lot of problems, but we're still a team without a lead-off hitter.  And if Desmond fails this year, that means Rendon at 2nd with Espinosa at SS, and a lot more emphasis in finding a CF who can leadoff.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #373: March 03, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »
My assumption is that they go for a real CF at some point in the next year, maybe Bourn if the Braves can't extend him.  At that point you've got 3 long-term players locked into the OF.  I don't think Werth is the long-term answer in CF, especially not in 2013 and beyond when Hood could conceivably be knocking on the door.

It would be interesting to see if Harper could play CF, that would certainly solve a lot of problems, but we're still a team without a lead-off hitter.  And if Desmond fails this year, that means Rendon at 2nd with Espinosa at SS, and a lot more emphasis in finding a CF who can leadoff.

Werth could also be shifted to 1B.  They will make room for Hood if he is ready to contribute.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #374: March 03, 2012, 11:25:12 PM »
Werth could also be shifted to 1B.  They will make room for Hood if he is ready to contribute.

If we still have Morse at that time, I'd rather have Morse move to 1st and Werth to RF or LF.