Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 73024 times)

Offline RD

Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood
« Reply #300: August 12, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »
While that's nice... I don't give a damn what a player looks like in a uniform as long as he gets the job done.

Rizzo has fallen many a time for great uniform guys that suck on the field.

While it's not extremely important, it can be a good thing. While i dont know if he's the 225 he's listed at, he was only about 190 when he was drafted. That extra bulk can be beneficial on the field. It's helping him park more balls in the seats this year. Different positions of course, but you look at someone like Detwiler who hasn't added extra weight to be more durable or pick up some velo, and he hasn't progressed quite as we had hoped.

As for the Torri Hunter comparison offensively ... I could see that. The numbers are somewhat similar based on Torii's minor league career. Torii had a good first full season in the minors, but then took a couple steps back the next few years they emerged. Hood's ascent has been more of a gradual line upwards. But yeah, I could see him being a .280/.350/.475 guy with 20/20 ability.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #301: August 12, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
While that's nice... I don't give a damn what a player looks like in a uniform as long as he gets the job done.

Rizzo has fallen many a time for great uniform guys that suck on the field.

c'mon linty, evo wasn't going down that path.

i think he's saying he looks like a big leaguer, he's not undersized or scrawny.  not saying you need to be built like rizzo's troops, b/c look at jamey carroll and dustin pedroia, etc ... but i know what evolution was saying. 

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #302: August 12, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
When Hood is ready, we have to find him a place in the OF. I would hate to see him traded later on down the road.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #303: August 12, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
assuming Hood is ready in 2013, it's likely LF or CF will be wide open unless we put Harper in LF and Brown turns into a legit starting CF. 

Offline imref

« Reply #304: August 12, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »
While it's not extremely important, it can be a good thing. While i dont know if he's the 225 he's listed at, he was only about 190 when he was drafted. That extra bulk can be beneficial on the field. It's helping him park more balls in the seats this year. Different positions of course, but you look at someone like Detwiler who hasn't added extra weight to be more durable or pick up some velo, and he hasn't progressed quite as we had hoped.

he definitely stands out at Potomac.  The last time I was there was when Zimmerman rehabbed and Hood was the only guy who physically wasn't overshadowed by Zimm.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #305: August 12, 2011, 02:15:25 PM »
Hood hasn't played much CF if at all.  I think they are grooming him to be a corner OF.  I think his glove will play better as a LF. 

We could really be looking at a OF of Hood-Harper-Werth down the road.  Really excited about the potential.  Definitely my favorite Nats prospect ever (well besides the harpers/zimmermen(n)/strasburg).

Offline imref

« Reply #306: August 21, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
Nice night for Hood in RF.  the P-Nats played two, Hood was a combined 3-6, 4R, 2RBI, 2SB, 1HR, 2B, BB.

Offline imref

« Reply #307: August 21, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
at Nats park today they highlighted on the big screen Hood's performance at potomac last night.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #308: August 22, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
he's better than the 8th best prospect in our organization 8)

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #309: August 22, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »
he's better than the 8th best prospect in our organization 8)
In J.J. Evans voice "I Knoooow".

Offline imref

« Reply #310: August 22, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »
i'm guessing he'll be the one "below-AA" player that we send to the AFL.

Offline RD

« Reply #311: August 22, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
I love Hood, but the front line arms we've added and elite bats like Harper and Rendon push Hood down the list.

Offline imref

« Reply #312: August 22, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »
I love Hood, but the front line arms we've added and elite bats like Harper and Rendon push Hood down the list.

a 2013 OF of Hood in LF, Werth in RF, and Harper in CF would be pretty dandy.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #313: August 22, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »

you're entitled to your opinion.  i'd probably have him in top 5 though.

Offline RD

« Reply #314: August 22, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »
a 2013 OF of Hood in LF, Werth in RF, and Harper in CF would be pretty dandy.

Im hoping to see Hood as a long term part of the Nats future.

But, if Rendon moves to second base, we're going to need a leadoff hitter and that means it'll have to come from the OF. With Werth and Harper locks, it's tough to see Hood actually being a factor long term here.

Same thing if Rendon moves to left, that fills the OF, but makes 2b the spot where we need to find a leadoff guy. Either way, thats not Hood.

Ive been wondering lately if Rendon could potentially leadoff, but he may not be fast enough and his likely power project make him the ideal 3 hitter.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #315: August 22, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »
OF course, there is a school of thought that OPS, especially OBP, is more important than having a fly lead off.  The 1-2-4 optimization model.  IF you do end up with Hood and Rendon at LF and 2d, it almost does not matter how you arrange the order.  There is also the possibility neither Morse nor Marrero plays first, and Rendon ends up there, but that is a less :az: battting order.

Offline RD

« Reply #316: August 22, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »
I dont think we necessarily need a great 'prototype' leadoff man, but I dont think Hood under any circumstance profiles there. He's gotten better but he's a guy who drives in runs. Not one who tries to get on base and let other people drive him in.

Rendon profiles the same way. Stats say something, but mentality and experience also say something. He's got a fantastic eye and OBP, but he's a run producer. And if he's hitting .320 and 30 home runs, we want him up with guys on base, not leading off. But if we're going Ramos, Morse, Rendon, Zimmermann, Espinosa, Hood, Werth, and Harper, we have a very potent offense, but are lacking in table setters. Same problem we have now(with better hitters throughout of course).

I think to have a more well rounded offense, it'd be better if Lombo pans out and is our leadoff guy, with Rendon in left. But thats a situation that doesn't include Hood. Id love to see Hood in the lineup though.

I suppose if Morse isn't around, that does open up first for someone. I think itd be better to move Werth there(as he gets older, his range is going to decline, plus his size suits the spot) and get the younger player in the OF but we'll see. Obviously Morse has proven to be extremely valuable, but if all these kids do pan out(which I know, may not be likely), he may be movable to upgrade the staff, or at least add some more depth to the farm system once these kids graduate.

Still got another full season before this debate, but finding room for everyone is definitely a nice problem to have.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #317: August 22, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
Honestly, I know it's a stretch, but I'd prefer Goodwin in Center and Harper in right, pushing Werth to the bench (This is assuming Werth doesn't regain his stride- just under that assumption, please don't jump on me for this). That would allow Goodwin to lead off, maybe Hood to bat 2nd, and one of Rendon/Zimmerman/Morse to bat third with Harper fourth and the other two 5th and 6th  :shock: with Espinosa and Ramos closing out the lineup.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #318: August 23, 2011, 12:18:20 AM »
Honestly, I know it's a stretch, but I'd prefer Goodwin in Center and Harper in right, pushing Werth to the bench (This is assuming Werth doesn't regain his stride- just under that assumption, please don't jump on me for this). That would allow Goodwin to lead off, maybe Hood to bat 2nd, and one of Rendon/Zimmerman/Morse to bat third with Harper fourth and the other two 5th and 6th  :shock: with Espinosa and Ramos closing out the lineup.

No way can you push someone making that much money to the bench.

I think we will go: Zim/Espy/Lombo/Rendon in the infeild and Hood, Harper, Werth in the outfield for 2013. Our lineup would be: Lombo, Hood/Werth, Zim, Harper, Rendon, Hood/Werth, Espy, Ramos.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #319: August 23, 2011, 08:26:34 AM »

I think we will go: Zim/Espy/Lombo/Rendon in the infeild and Hood, Harper, Werth in the outfield for 2013. Our lineup would be: Lombo, Hood/Werth, Zim, Harper, Rendon, Hood/Werth, Espy, Ramos.

Good to see a new poster here, ZimW1N.  If you get a chance, stop by the "new members" thread in the clubhouse and fill us in about yourself (when did you start following the Nats, etc... you'll see in the thread).

Hood and Lombo are still the longest shots at being MLB regulars. Harper seems a near lock, and Rendon has the label.  It is nice to think we are in a position of arguing over a limited number of slots for quality players, rather than hoping to fill in with a Bonifacio / Hernandez / Gonzalez troika (or, breaking that up to fill LF).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #320: August 23, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »

The accountant part of me says the contract for Werth is a sunk cost and you have to pay him regardless of whether or not he plays, sits, or stews.  But people can't get over the magnitude of the contract (if you don't believe it, listen to the boos that rain down on him nightly) and human nature is to not be objective in allocating playing time.  He's going to get every chance to perform, a lot more opportunity than nearly anyone else might get.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #321: August 23, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
I love the kid but people penciling Hood into the OF in 2013 need to really, really temper their expectations.

He's being brought along at the proper pace and may need an entire year at each level in the minors before hitting DC.

A 2014 call-up seems more likely to me and that's way too far in the future to make any predictions on our roster.

RD is correct though, Hood is not a CF or a lead-off candidate.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #322: August 23, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
I love the kid but people penciling Hood into the OF in 2013 need to really, really temper their expectations.

He's being brought along at the proper pace and may need an entire year at each level in the minors before hitting DC.

A 2014 call-up seems more likely to me and that's way too far in the future to make any predictions on our roster.

RD is correct though, Hood is not a CF or a lead-off candidate.

Thank you. Not trying to be negative, but I think people need to realize just how raw that Hood is. He has a TON of athletic ability. This guy would be a starting receiver for Alabama. Tons of athleticism. But baseball is a sport of skill. These skills take time to learn. Hood has the talent, but he needs the seasoning.

2014 sounds good to me too. Right about that time, we'll be looking to dump Werth like the Jays dumped Rios and Wells.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #323: August 23, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »
I never said we should pencil him in, but if he continues to progress, maybe he will be ready for a shot in 2013. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #324: August 23, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »
destin is one rbi shy of 80 :shock: :popcorn: :az: