Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 73020 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood
« Reply #275: August 09, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
Destin Hood hit home runs No. 10 and 11 in his first two at-bats. The solo shots off of Salem's Stolmy Pimentel were no-doubt-about-it shots to left field.

But the Mobile, Al., native has reportedly been fighting knee inflammation throughout the season. Today, he appears to be favoring the knee and has not looked like he has been able to go 100 percent for balls hit his way in right field.

So his two homers have kind of a Kirk Gibson World Series feel to them, as he slowly runs around the bases after his monster home runs.

http://www.masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2011/08/potomacs-olbrychowski-adds-splitter-to-repertoire-concern-for-hoods-knee.html

Good and bad news.

Online RD

« Reply #276: August 09, 2011, 03:58:23 PM »
Not saying it's good news, but if he's been hampered by that throughout the year, then his performance is even more impressive. He's maintained his approach at the plate despite the injury. His 11 bombs this year have surpassed his career total of 2 plus seasons entering the year, and his 15 steals has equaled his total during the same span.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #277: August 10, 2011, 11:30:42 PM »
Is this guy the most clutch hitter in our farm system (outside of Harper) ...

had another game winning walk off hit, with two outs in the bottom of the 9th.

hitting .282 with 72 RBI on the season (to go along with 11 homers, 26 doubles, five triples, 15 stolen bases, a .831 OPS).  unreal.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #278: August 11, 2011, 12:39:17 AM »
What has Harper done that is clutch.

Online RD

« Reply #279: August 11, 2011, 02:16:03 AM »
What has Harper done that is clutch.

Off the top of my head, he had a walk off bomb at Hagerstown and a week or so ago, had a go ahead double in the 9th inning of a victory.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #280: August 11, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »
Is this guy the most clutch hitter in our farm system (outside of Harper) ...

had another game winning walk off hit, with two outs in the bottom of the 9th.

hitting .282 with 72 RBI on the season (to go along with 11 homers, 26 doubles, five triples, 15 stolen bases, a .831 OPS).  unreal.

Lets not go overboard on this. He's 21 and hitting in high A ball. He still has a long way to go ...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #281: August 11, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »
I'm guessing he'll head to the AFL?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #282: August 11, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
Off the top of my head, he had a walk off bomb at Hagerstown and a week or so ago, had a go ahead double in the 9th inning of a victory.

exactly ... he's had a lot of big hits and a couple game winners that i know of.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #283: August 11, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »
Lets not go overboard on this. He's 21 and hitting in high A ball. He still has a long way to go ...

um, did i call him the best hitter in our system?  i said he could be the most clutch.  he's had countless GW hits this year. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #284: August 11, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
um, did i call him the best hitter in our system?  i said he could be the most clutch.  he's had countless GW hits this year. 
You said "unreal"

Hardly "unreal." Its a good season in high A ball.

Online RD

« Reply #285: August 11, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
It may just be a good season, but putting it in context with what he has shown in the past, it is more impressive than the numbers suggest by themselves. It creates some more excitement for him going forward, because he has star potential. And it looks like he's starting to tap into that ability on the field. Definitely gets me pumped about his future.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #286: August 11, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »
It may just be a good season, but putting it in context with what he has shown in the past, it is more impressive than the numbers suggest by themselves. It creates some more excitement for him going forward, because he has star potential. And it looks like he's starting to tap into that ability on the field. Definitely gets me pumped about his future.

this :clap:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #287: August 11, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
You said "unreal"

Hardly "unreal." Its a good season in high A ball.

Sure, maybe unreal was the wrong word (or seems like an over exaggeration) selected by hammodns but I still believe it fits. The guy has played 106 games in Potomac and he has progressed in every stat category compared to 129 games at Hagerstown last year. He has drawn more walks, struck out less, his OBP is .030+ points higher than last year, his power numbers have basically doubled, and he is sitting comfortably at .282avg with 72 RBI's. Its very exciting to see a guy improve that much at a level higher in fewer games. It seems the way that he is going, and hopefully he continues to go that way, he will be a pretty damn good outfielder of ours.

edit: didn't see what RD said. beaten.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #288: August 11, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »
Sure, maybe unreal was the wrong word (or seems like an over exaggeration) selected by hammodns but I still believe it fits. The guy has played 106 games in Potomac and he has progressed in every stat category compared to 129 games at Hagerstown last year. He has drawn more walks, struck out less, his OBP is .030+ points higher than last year, his power numbers have basically doubled, and he is sitting comfortably at .282avg with 72 RBI's. Its very exciting to see a guy improve that much at a level higher in fewer games. It seems the way that he is going, and hopefully he continues to go that way, he will be a pretty damn good outfielder of ours.

edit: didn't see what RD said. beaten.

UNREAL

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #289: August 11, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
Certainly going the right direction.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #290: August 11, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »
Could Hood be our Torii Hunter?

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #291: August 11, 2011, 11:56:54 PM »
One guy to really watch out for is Michael Taylor, i really believe he could be the next Adam Jones.

Online RD

« Reply #292: August 12, 2011, 12:13:17 AM »
One guy to really watch out for is Michael Taylor, i really believe he could be the next Adam Jones.

I made that comparison over a month ago, but I still think Taylor has more speed and will have more of an impact on the bases than Jones has had. Of course, he's still got work to do at the plate, but he's got legit upside.

Could Hood be our Torii Hunter?

I dont know if he'll be as good of a defender as Hunter. He's got the natural tools and it's one area where I think his football background helps him out. But, the fact that he hasn't played any center I think is indicative of the fact that he doesn't grade out as well as a defender. He may be a solid defender on a corner, but don't know if he'd be able to have the impact in CF that Hunter's had.

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #293: August 12, 2011, 12:35:11 AM »
I made that comparison over a month ago, but I still think Taylor has more speed and will have more of an impact on the bases than Jones has had. Of course, he's still got work to do at the plate, but he's got legit upside.

Yeah their batting stance and height are almost identical.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #294: August 12, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »
Well I guess a better way to put it. Could Hood be the next Torii Hunter Offensively?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #295: August 12, 2011, 10:22:43 AM »
Saw Hood last night. He has filled out nicely since I last saw him. Wears the uniform well, and has the look of a major leaguer. Ball makes a nice sound off the bat.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #296: August 12, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »
Saw Hood last night. He has filled out nicely since I last saw him. Wears the uniform well, and has the look of a major leaguer. Ball makes a nice sound off the bat.

While that's nice... I don't give a damn what a player looks like in a uniform as long as he gets the job done.

Rizzo has fallen many a time for great uniform guys that suck on the field.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #297: August 12, 2011, 11:50:34 AM »
While that's nice... I don't give a damn what a player looks like in a uniform as long as he gets the job done.

:rofl:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #298: August 12, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »
Clearly Linty prefers chicken to beef. ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #299: August 12, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »

That's right.  Maybe next time Evo will keep his worthless observations to himself.  Thankfully we've got Linty here to police such drivel.