Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 73024 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood
« Reply #25: July 10, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »
Not trying to kill the mood, but it's only the GCL. How many players have tore up the GCL, and failed miserably at the next level? How many have tore up AA, and failed in the majors? He has 4 levels to go through before the majors. It remains a longshot.

I say this only because I don't want my hopes crushed. Still, I remain cautiously optimistic.

He had first round talent, but signability issues.

wow some of you know how to kill a man when he's down.  no duh it's the GCL, but all the reports about this kid and the potential he has, he has a chance of being a real good one.  i like the results so far in rookie ball.

Offline cletusvandamme

« Reply #26: July 10, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
Well, at least he's not sucking in the GCL.  That'd be a lot worse.  Just be happy he's doing well and hope to see him progress thru the system.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #27: July 10, 2009, 10:13:45 PM »
Well, at least he's not sucking in the GCL.  That'd be a lot worse.  Just be happy he's doing well and hope to see him progress thru the system.

:clap:

we need more of TerpTown over here.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #28: July 21, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »
From Kevin Goldstein, Baseball Prospectus, July 10:

Sleeper Alert!

Destin Hood, OF, Nationals (Rookie-Level GCL Nationals)
Tuesday's stats: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI, K
A second-round pick last June, the Nationals gave Hood a $1.1 million bonus to keep him from becoming a two-sport star at Alabama, and he's a big, projectable athlete with plus power, decent speed, and a whole lot of work to do in translating his athleticism into baseball skills. Back in the Gulf Coast League for his second go-around, the 19-year-old has clearly made progress, batting .333/.406/.579 in 16 games.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #29: July 25, 2009, 05:33:42 PM »
Hood (as of July 25): .318 avg, 3 HR, 9 2B, 2 3B, 21 RBI, 3 SB, 8 BB, 18 K, .379 OBP, .576 SLG (24 games)

:az:

please bump him up to Vermont.  

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: July 25, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »
8 BB to 18 k may mean he needs to move a little slowly

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #31: July 28, 2009, 01:00:56 PM »
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh hood got promoted to Vermont :clap: :worship: :az:

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #32: July 28, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »
!!!!!!!! I'm very excite!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #33: July 29, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #34: August 01, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
Kevin Goldstein, Baseball Prospectus - July 27

Destin Hood, OF, Nationals (Rookie-level GCL Nationals)

The Nationals gave Hood a $1.1 million bonus last year as a second-round pick to buy him away from a college football career as one of the most heavily recruited wide receivers in the county, but they knew he'd be a bit of a project on the diamond just the same. It's starting to move a little quicker than expected, though, as Hood went 7-for-11 over the weekend with three doubles, a pair of triples, and a home run, as he's now batting .330/.388/.614 in 25 Gulf Coast League games. With plus power and speed, his ceiling is as high as anyone's in the system.

Offline RobRyan

• Radio Voice of the VT LM
« Reply #35: August 01, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »
Vermont, 5 games-5 starts (Left in 6th of last night.  Will start tonight)

5 of 17 (All singles)
1 R
2 RBI
1 BB
4 Ks
.316 OB%

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #36: August 01, 2009, 04:51:46 PM »
Vermont, 5 games-5 starts (Left in 6th of last night.  Will start tonight)

5 of 17 (All singles)
1 R
2 RBI
1 BB
4 Ks
.316 OB%

Definitely is going to need to be brought along steadily.

Bob, back in the day, there was a great bar in an old warehouse in Winooski, called (as I recall) The Mill, or something like that.  Know if it's still there?

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #37: August 01, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »
The whole area you speak of is now (to this outsider) referred to as the Winooski Circle.  A great little bar called McKees is there, and i think the building on the riverfront is now condos/offices.  Neat little section, but still in the completion stages.

I live downtown in Burlington, a short walk to Church St. so I dont wander too far for my shenanigans... :-D

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #38: August 01, 2009, 06:06:47 PM »
The whole area you speak of is now (to this outsider) referred to as the Winooski Circle.  A great little bar called McKees is there, and i think the building on the riverfront is now condos/offices.  Neat little section, but still in the completion stages.

I live downtown in Burlington, a short walk to Church St. so I dont wander too far for my shenanigans... :-D

Burl's a great little town, although I hasten to add that I only have ever been there in summer.  For winter, at least there were no shortage of bars.  And for year 'round, can't complain how the women treated me up there.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #39: August 01, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »
Hood #8 on BA's Prospect hot sheet.  hot sheet!
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2009/268625.html

No. 8 DESTIN HOOD, LF
   NATIONALS
Destin HoodTeam: Short-season Vermont (New York-Penn)
Why He's Here: .440/.464/.840 (11-for-25), 3 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 5 R, 6 RBIs, 2 BB, 4 SO
The Scoop: A $1.1 million signing bonus as a second-round pick last year kept Hood from going to Alabama, where he could have played baseball and football. It's starting to look like a smart investment for the Nationals, who promoted Hood to Vermont from the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League this week after he hit .330/.388/.614 in 25 games through the circuit. Hood ranked seventh in the Nationals farm system coming into the season, but you can count on him move him up the charts.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #40: August 02, 2009, 12:13:14 AM »

Finally gives me the excuse I need to see a Lake Monsters game.  That, and that it might be the last season that of baseball at Centennial Field :(

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #41: August 02, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
I recently joined just post on this thread. I personally have played with Destin.  I played with him for 2 years in high school. This guy is a machine. There is nothing he can't do or learn to do.  He played mostly shortstop with us, but when he did play outfield, he was lime watching a guy glide on the air.  His arm is amazing, he threw out a runner every other game (I helped keep the book).  I can't wait to see this guy blast balls in Washington like he did when I had the honor of playing with him.

Offline Jcrabtree

« Reply #42: August 02, 2009, 11:59:09 PM »
Also, if anyone is curious, I can post his high school stats from his last two years.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: August 03, 2009, 08:22:23 AM »
Also, if anyone is curious, I can post his high school stats from his last two years.

Welcome crab, feel free to post all the Destin stuff here you want to.  Does he have any good nicknames?  Supersticions?

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: August 03, 2009, 08:37:29 AM »
Welcome crab, feel free to post all the Destin stuff here you want to.  Does he have any good nicknames?  Supersticions?

freak that! Hey Crab, get Jake Peavy to demand a trade to the Nats!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #45: August 03, 2009, 01:06:24 PM »
I recently joined just post on this thread. I personally have played with Destin.  I played with him for 2 years in high school. This guy is a machine. There is nothing he can't do or learn to do.  He played mostly shortstop with us, but when he did play outfield, he was lime watching a guy glide on the air.  His arm is amazing, he threw out a runner every other game (I helped keep the book).  I can't wait to see this guy blast balls in Washington like he did when I had the honor of playing with him.

thanks for sharing crabtree (any relation to michael?) and welcome to the board.

yeah if you have his HS stats that'd be great.  i think the early reports on his defense in the outfield are better than expected.  i've heard his arm is pretty strong.  and it seems like at the dish he can hit for power and contact. 

from playing with him, what are his strengths that separated him from others in your league.  what areas of improvement does he need to work on?

thanks.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #46: August 03, 2009, 02:05:10 PM »
from playing with him, what are his strengths that separated him from others in your league.  what areas of improvement does he need to work on?

I'd imagine it'd be tough to tell what Destin needed to work on in HS. You gotta realize that his talent was probably so much higher than every other player on the field that his flaws would be minimized by the talent level of the other players he would be facing.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #47: August 03, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »
I'd imagine it'd be tough to tell what Destin needed to work on in HS. You gotta realize that his talent was probably so much higher than every other player on the field that his flaws would be minimized by the talent level of the other players he would be facing.

that's not completely true.  even bryce harper isn't perfect and he has some issues/areas he needs to work on until he becomes a great player.

i'd guarantee you crabtree can note one or two things hood can work on.

Offline RobRyan

« Reply #48: August 03, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
My one thought on Destin, that was probably masked in HS, was what I'll call the "Pedro Cerrano Issue".  Fastball, he hit very very good.... curveball, Jobu has not guided him yet.

They are feeding him a steady diet of slop, and he's having a bit of trouble adjusting right now.  But we're all of what, 20 some-odd at bats since his bump?  This is why he's here, to learn.   But if you want to find a weakness right this second, from my perspective, thats it.  He's smooth as glass in the outfield.

Offline blue911

« Reply #49: August 03, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »
My one thought on Destin, that was probably masked in HS, was what I'll call the "Pedro Cerrano Issue".  Fastball, he hit very very good.... curveball, Jobu has not guided him yet.

They are feeding him a steady diet of slop, and he's having a bit of trouble adjusting right now.  But we're all of what, 20 some-odd at bats since his bump?  This is why he's here, to learn.   But if you want to find a weakness right this second, from my perspective, thats it.  He's smooth as glass in the outfield.

Eh, they all go through that. The good ones shorten their swing, the others work for the post office.