Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 73022 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood
« Reply #125: July 27, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »
DH with another homer today and he was just a triple shy of the cycle. 

AVG: .287
HR: 5
2B: 22
3B: 2
RBI: 53
OBP:
SLG:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #126: August 03, 2010, 12:36:06 PM »
DH is now back up to .291

Last 10 games:
.324 AVG, HR, 3B, 3 2B, 6 RBI, 3 BB/6 K, 2 SB, .954 OPS

totals...

AVG: .291
HR: 5
2B: 24
3B: 2
RBI: 55
OBP: .333
SLG: .401

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #127: August 16, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »
DH had a double (27th) and triple (3rd) tonight and knocked in his 63rd rbi of the season.  He is up to .291 with 35 extra base hits this season.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #128: August 16, 2010, 10:38:31 PM »
Hoods gonna be a beast once some of those doubles and triples turn into HR. The talent in Hagerstown in amazing this year can't wait till we can say that about all our farm teams.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #129: August 16, 2010, 11:19:18 PM »
Hoods gonna be a beast once some of those doubles and triples turn into HR. The talent in Hagerstown in amazing this year can't wait till we can say that about all our farm teams.

It sounds like suns really like playing together.

Hood will cut down on the strikeouts and the power will come.  Whenever I listen to suns games and he hits a homer, the announcers always say they are flat out blasts.  And the fact he has 27 doubles is a good sign.  Kid has some good raw power.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #130: August 18, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »
DH 3-for-5 tonight to raise his average to .295 and his ops is @ .748.  He has 28 doubles on the season.  Still needs to cut down on the k's/draw more walks big time, but in all other areas of his game I am impressed.  I'd imagine they'd keep him in hagerstown all season.  It wouldn't totally be out of the realm if he gets a bump to potomac, but I doubt it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #131: August 18, 2010, 11:48:23 AM »
DH 3-for-5 tonight to raise his average to .295 and his ops is @ .748.  He has 28 doubles on the season.  Still needs to cut down on the k's/draw more walks big time, but in all other areas of his game I am impressed.  I'd imagine they'd keep him in hagerstown all season.  It wouldn't totally be out of the realm if he gets a bump to potomac, but I doubt it.
Are his doubles speed doubles or deep fly doubles?  Doubles in young players are a good sign of emerging power.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #132: August 18, 2010, 12:01:43 PM »
Are his doubles speed doubles or deep fly doubles?  Doubles in young players are a good sign of emerging power.

i think both.  i listen to a lot of our minor leaguers games and the hagerstown announcing crew is usually :az: about his raw power.  his homers and stolen bases are low, but i think that's expected.  they will come in time.

if he works at everything hard and can live up to his potential, i think hood will have numbers something like this:

.280 AVG, 25 HR, 90 RBI, 15 SB.

I haven't seen much of him, but if everything goes right I say he could be a Torii Hunter lite.  A #3/5/6 hitter with similar numbers (not as good of a glove though). 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #133: August 18, 2010, 12:34:35 PM »
We'll have to see his hit chart when Minor League Splits releases them after the season.

Will be interesting to see if he's hitting a lot of gap doubles (indicates future power) or a lot of bloop doubles he picks up because of his speed.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #134: August 18, 2010, 12:38:28 PM »
We'll have to see his hit chart when Minor League Splits releases them after the season.

Will be interesting to see if he's hitting a lot of gap doubles (indicates future power) or a lot of bloop doubles he picks up because of his speed.

true, but listening to the broadcasts, it sounds like a mix of both with most of them being power.  i know a few have hit off the top part of the wall in deep parts of parks.  hagerstown is a pretty big park too.

i have off on monday, i'm hoping to go to hagerstown/potomac/harrisburg. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #135: August 18, 2010, 12:43:20 PM »
I really wish MiLB would make an effort to become unified in the technology at the ballparks. Who wouldn't love to have all the stats available to the public that is available with the MLB'ers.

Obviously, it'd cost a ton of money... and MLB would have to foot the bill, but selfishly, I'd love to detailed stats for all levels of baseball.

Would make predicting future stars a lot easier, and a lot less of a wild goose chase.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #136: August 18, 2010, 12:45:37 PM »
I really wish MiLB would make an effort to become unified in the technology at the ballparks. Who wouldn't love to have all the stats available to the public that is available with the MLB'ers.

Obviously, it'd cost a ton of money... and MLB would have to foot the bill, but selfishly, I'd love to detailed stats for all levels of baseball.

Would make predicting future stars a lot easier, and a lot less of a wild goose chase.

Couldn't agree any more.  I know they've done a good job in offering audio for most - if not - every class A team and up.  It's really not that hard to have video offered.  Most colleges broadcast their sports teams via video.  Same goes for stats.  Tired of reading just box scores, you don't get everything from it.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #137: August 18, 2010, 01:17:42 PM »
true, but listening to the broadcasts, it sounds like a mix of both with most of them being power.  i know a few have hit off the top part of the wall in deep parts of parks.  hagerstown is a pretty big park too.

i have off on monday, i'm hoping to go to hagerstown/potomac/harrisburg. 

From the games I have listened to, most of his doubles seem to be power shots to the gaps.  I definitely think he has some room to improve his power and a bunch of these doubles could end up leaving the park.  Besides the plate patience, Hood has been fulfilling/succeeding expectations thus far.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #138: August 19, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
Well said jmu.

Destin has been playing A LOT of LF recently.  He used to play primarily in RF, maybe they envision him in left with Bryce in right?

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #139: August 19, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »
Hood is a stud. I see .280 20+hr 80+ rbi's from his every year but he needs to cut down those k's but it doesn't matter to me as long as he puts up a good OBP. OBP is one of the most important offensive stat imo because the second you get on base= chances for runs! A team with players that put up good obp's can be deadly. I didn't like Dunn before but I will take his power and obp.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #140: August 20, 2010, 12:53:03 AM »
Why do you like Dunn now, but not before?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #141: August 20, 2010, 12:55:44 AM »
And of course in the nightcap of hagerstowns doubleheader, hood plays RF lol.  He/ramirez/perez are an awesome trio.  And we have burgess, harper and oeduer (sp)!

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #142: August 20, 2010, 01:20:37 AM »
And of course in the nightcap of hagerstowns doubleheader, hood plays RF lol.  He/ramirez/perez are an awesome trio.  And we have burgess, harper and oeduer (sp)!
Don't forget to throw in Wade Moore.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #143: August 20, 2010, 01:22:46 AM »
Don't forget to throw in Wade Moore.

And bloxom.  Forgot about both.

Burgess is the closest for sure.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #144: August 20, 2010, 03:44:42 AM »
Why do you like Dunn now, but not before?

I didn't like Dunn because he has no speed. The nats weren't and still aren't a fast team I think but I need to check on that again. I don't like slow players at all but I also didn't know Dunn was this good maybe too.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #145: August 20, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »
And bloxom.  Forgot about both.

Burgess is the closest for sure.
I thought Bloxom played 1B.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #146: March 28, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »
good Q&A w/ Sheinin.  Seems like this guy has a good head on his shoulder and loves to play baseball.

Q & A with Destin Hood
By Dave Sheinin

A few weeks back, I asked Doug Harris, the Nationals’ farm director, if he could suggest a good story from the minor league camp. I was looking for someone under the radar (i.e., not Bryce Harper), someone with a compelling back-story, someone on the verge of a breakthrough. Harris said: “Destin Hood.”

So I went to the minor league complex in search of Destin Hood.

Hood, who turns 21 next month, was the Nationals’ second round draft pick in 2008, and he signed a month after the draft to a $1.1 million contract, much to the chagrin of Nick Saban, who had recruited Hood to play wide receiver at the University of Alabama.

After spending the bulk of the 2009 season at short-season Class A Vermont, where he hit .246/.302/.333 in 38 games, Hood was promoted to low Class A Hagerstown in 2010 — an aggressive move by the Nationals, given his struggles in Vermont. But the Nationals’ faith in Hood was rewarded when he hit .285/.333/.388 for Hagerstown, which put Hood on the radar screens of some of those prospect tout-sheets. (He ranked as the 20th-best prospect in the Nationals’ system by BaseballProspectus.com.)

I caught up with Hood at 7 o’clock one morning outside the Nationals’ minor league complex. We sat at a picnic table, and here is what we talked about:

Q. How do you feel about your 2010 season?
A. I feel like I came into a little bit of an identity as a baseball player, trying to work hard and make sure I was doing the right work to get the right results. And my coaches, they were always there to help with anything I needed on and off the field, so that was a big help. It was just a good experience for me because it was my first full season – with the coaches telling me how to work and to become the kind of player I wanted to be. Especially with it being my first [full] year, I wanted to start off on the right foot to make my identity as a baseball player.

Q. Do you feel as if you’re becoming a baseball player, as opposed to an athlete?
A.
I think I’m getting there. I think I’m starting to break that mold as a football player and starting to become known for the baseball things I do, as opposed to the football instincts I had. It just comes with a lot of work and making sure I’m listetning to my coaches. That’s the biggest thing: listening to my coaches and doing the things that they say are baseball-like. Going about your business the right way, doing your work in the outfield, taking the right routes, being patient – things like that. That’s the biggest thing for me. For the most part I’m just trying to break that football mold and become a baseball player.

Q. Where would you say you are in that process?
A.
I feel like I’ve got some good work done. But I still have a ways to go to become the baseball player I want to be. And I think that if I keep putting in the work I can be that one day. It paid dividends last year and I hope to build on that year to year.

Q. What are your goals for the 2011 season?
A.
My goals are to maximize my power, to obviously cut down on my strikeouts and just becomne a good team player, basically, so I can help my team out the most I can. And to become not only an offensive player, but a defensive player as well.

Q. Have you grown more comfortable over the past two years with the decision to choose baseball over football?
A.
I was comfortable with it when came out of high school, because I never wanted to play in the NFL. So I figured if I wasn’t going to play in the NFL, why go to college and play football for a couple years and risk getting hurt or whatever and then go play baseball? I never second guessed it at all. I still go back and hang out with the guys I played football with, but for the most part this is what I want to do. I’ve been happy with the decision from day one.

Q. Even after both the in-state teams that recruited you (Alabama and Auburn) won national championships?
A.
I mean, that’s cool for them. But again, I didn’t want to be in a helmet anyway, so there wasn’t any reason for me to go to try to win a ring in something I didn’t want to be doing. I had a better opportunity playing baseball, and I always wanted to play baseball over football. That was my first choice. All the colleges always knew that if I got drafted where I wanted to get drafted at, I was going to play baseball. They knew that before they have me a scholarship. They knew if I had a chance to play baseball I was going to go play baseball. It wasn’t like a football player just saying, “Oh, all of a sudden I want to go play baseball now. I never was a football player at heart. I just played because I could and it was fun.

Q. Was there one turning point for you at Hagerstown — one lesson that sunk in, or one mechanical adjustment that changed everything, or one mental adjustment?
A.
I think the whole Hagerstown experience in itself was a turning point. Just going into my first full season and being able to try and define myself as a baseball player, try to get how to be a team player, how to conduct yourself on and off the field, how to pay attention to the game through nine innings, how to stay in at-bats and not give away at-bats, how to go in and get your work done in the morning and carry that work ethic through the whole year. I think that year will be the building block for the rest of my career. The results I had -- at the beginning of the year I had no clue what my results were going to be. I had to put the work in and concentrate and focus. But now that I see the results at the end of the year, now it’s like a stepping stone – that all the work I did, I know that’s a big part of my success. You have to put the work in. You’ve got to put the work in first, and whatever happens after that — years may go by where you don’t have the same numbers. But I know from the first full season, the work I put in did pay dividends by the end of the season. So that’s what I’ll continue to do. – do the work and wait for the rest to happen on its own.

Q. Do you allow yourself to think about making it to the big leagues?
A.
No, not at all. It’s great to have that goal, and that’s everybodys goal here. But [former Hagerstown hitting coach] Tony Tarasco always said in Hagerstown, “You cant be in Potomac when youre in Hagerstown. Your mind can’t be in Potomac when your body’s in Hagerstown.” He said it so many times, it stuck. I mean, if I’m worrying about who’s moving and going where, I’ve got a game we’re playing two hours form now,and I’m not even focused. I’m focused on something I cant even control. So for the most part, it’s my goal, but I cant jump levels and skip my mind through these levels because I have to focus on what I’m doing now.

By Dave Sheinin   |   01:16 PM ET, 03/28/2011  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/q-and-a-with-destin-hood/2011/03/28/AFfe8BpB_blog.html

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #147: March 28, 2011, 03:06:26 PM »
Glad to see Destin starting to really get it and embrace being a pro ballplayer. Just from looking at his stats it looks like he should concentrate on his pitch recognition and patience to help boost his OBP. Seems like he should have the natural tools to hit for average and put up some power when he grows into his body, but the difference between a .333 OBP and a .366 OBP, for an outfielder, is the difference between a credible starter and a career replacement.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #148: March 28, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
Good for Destin.

Hope he continues to improve this year!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #149: March 28, 2011, 03:21:37 PM »
Glad to see Destin starting to really get it and embrace being a pro ballplayer. Just from looking at his stats it looks like he should concentrate on his pitch recognition and patience to help boost his OBP. Seems like he should have the natural tools to hit for average and put up some power when he grows into his body, but the difference between a .333 OBP and a .366 OBP, for an outfielder, is the difference between a credible starter and a career replacement.
Good for Destin.

Hope he continues to improve this year!

yup.  i like how he acknowledges the areas he needs to improve, most notably the k's.  he was a shortstop drafted out of high school, but i think he's done a nice job adjusting to the OF life.  he's mostly a corner OF (he played primarily RF, but he saw a lot of time in LF last year too). 

i think he projects to be anywhere from a 2-6 hitter and would love if he can get his work done, improve, move up the farm and be a corner OF alongside Harper.