Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 100664 times)

Offline saltydad

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #100: January 08, 2010, 04:30:37 AM »
Quick and easy Puerto Rican tostones recipe from the banana.org site:

4 Green Plantain type
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold water

2 fresh minced garlic cloves
3 tbsp. Olive Oil

Slice the plantains at a 45 degree angle to make oval shaped slices about 1/2 inch thick. Soak them overnight (about 6-8 hours) in a flat pan in the salted water covered in the refrigerator. Next day, drain all the water (don't rinse), then pat dry with a paper towel till sticky/dry. In a mixing bowl with a rubber spatula, gently toss together the slices with the garlic and Olive Oil till completely coated. Allow to rest for 1 hour, then heat a nonstick sautee pan on medium-high. Pour in 1/2 of the mixture including 1/2 the Olive oil into the pan at a time. Spread out slices so they make contact with the pan surface to brown. Allow to sizzle and cook till each slice gets a light brown, then turn once to brown the other side. Remove after both sides are browned, and turn onto a paper towel or mesh drain rack, and repeat with other 1/2 of mixture. Serve warm.

This recipe is delicious. I've seen so many variations, but I can tell you that the Señora that I learned it from was straight from Puerto Rico, so this is authentic Casero Style.