Author Topic: Non-alcoholic Drinks  (Read 30563 times)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Re: Non-alcoholic Drinks
« Reply #275: September 22, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »
I can leave some out for a racoon that lives in our yard if you'd like to try that... what would you like going in, Starbucks French Roast or Mayorga Cubano?

Cubano, def.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #276: September 22, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
Lets see.  We have a drunk thread, a beer thread and a non-alcohol thread.  Guess that about covers it!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #277: September 22, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »
Tell me how, please.
i made a batch of horchata the other day - great stuff.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #278: November 20, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »
Tell me how, please.

sorry i didn't see this earlier, here's the recipe i used:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/lolas-horchata/detail.aspx

Offline imref

« Reply #279: November 20, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »
so after looking around, reading a ton of reviews, and talking to friends, it looks like this is the keurig to buy:

http://www.staples.com/Keurig-OfficePRO-Commercial-Coffee-Brewer/product_853653

the only downside is that it doesn't allow you to use the adapter that lets you use your own grounds, but it seems kind of silly to buy a keurig then continue to grind your own beans.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #280: November 20, 2011, 01:13:18 PM »
I watched something on CNBC about the guy who bought and popularized Green Mountain Coffee, which owns the Keurig machine.  Turns out he made his money by developing and selling EZ Wider rolling papers.

Offline imref

« Reply #281: December 02, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »
We ended up getting a Keurig B60 at Bed Bath and Beyond using one of those 20% off coupons.  So far I'm pretty happy with it.  It's very fast (if you leave it turned on and plugged in), brewing in under a minute.  The bold/strong coffees are much much better than even our fresh-ground beans in our drip maker, and the temperature is perfect (our old coffee maker couldn't handle cold water out of our fridge dispenser, this one can since it pre-heats the water).  We've finished off the starter pack and are now working our way through a box of coffee shop extra bold.

Definite thumbs-up so far.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #282: December 02, 2011, 04:09:42 PM »
I use it for tea at my dad's and my brother's places, just to heat one cup.   

Caribou Coffee is available in K cups if you are looking for stuff to try.

I wonder if you chugged a K cup whether it would be like drinking espresso?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #283: December 15, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
I wonder what kind of tea the Brits drink.  I always wanted to try it, but hot Lipton tea is very "meh".

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #284: December 16, 2011, 09:00:44 AM »
A friend of mine mentioned PG Tips, which sounds like dollars you leave in garters after hours but is an english tea brand.  They claim 35 million cups a day are drunk.  It is now available in the US.  That's one of the more popular ones.  There is higher end stuff, too, but I'm not sure what stuff here just has a pretentious label and what is truly the best.

I'l defer to the former LondonNat, Old Chelsea (who has not checked in in a while :( ) and other anglophiles for more.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #285: December 16, 2011, 12:44:11 PM »
I wonder what kind of tea the Brits drink.  I always wanted to try it, but hot Lipton tea is very "meh".

There are fancy tea shops all over DC now, including many coffee shops that also sell high-end teas.

WHen you come down to get for your long postponed visit with Mr. Blue, you should stop off beforehand and pick up some loose teas.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #286: December 16, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »

English breakfeast tea? My wife's addicted to that crap- two bags and a long enough steep and it looks like coffee

Offline Nathan

« Reply #287: December 16, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
English breakfeast tea? My wife's addicted to that crap- two bags and a long enough steep and it looks like coffee

That's what I read.  I mean it's different than Lipton, right?  And I'm sure not all Brits drink fancy schmancy high end expensive teas, there have got to be mainstream brands.  Not that all Brits drink tea :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #288: January 28, 2012, 05:30:57 PM »
So I was reading an article on Men's Health on gross things in your food.

Flame Retardant–Laced Soda

What it is: The toxic flame retardant chemical brominated vegetable oil, or BVO, was initially used to keep plastics from catching on fire.

Where it is: For decades, the food industry has been adding it to certain sodas, juices, and sports drinks, including Mountain Dew, Fanta Orange, Sunkist Pineapple, and some Gatorade and Powerade flavors. BVO's purpose? To keep the artificial flavoring chemicals from separating from the rest of the liquids.

Why it's bad: Scientists have linked too much BVO to bromide poisoning symptoms like skin lesions, memory loss, and nerve disorders.
http://www.rodale.com/gross-food?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-780110-_-01282012-_-dek

Sure enough, it's in the Gatorade sitting on my desk right now :?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #289: January 28, 2012, 05:34:43 PM »
Not that it's not gross or probably bad for you, but "scientists have linked" is code for "they have no freaking proof of this whatsoever"

Offline Nathan

« Reply #290: January 28, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »
Not that it's not gross or probably bad for you, but "scientists have linked" is code for "they have no freaking proof of this whatsoever"

What about the "Beaver Anal Gland Juice" that I just read is used as artificial raspberry or vanilla flavoring :spaz:

Or the amount of maggots allowed in a can of mushrooms!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #291: January 28, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »
My favorite is the warning on the Pringles light cans about causing anal leakage.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #292: January 28, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »

But it could mean they have found evidence in trials, or studies.  Proof is a damn near impossible standard to attain.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #293: January 28, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »

Most of the tea I had over there was relatively generic black breakfast tea. I did have some excellent Earl Grey tea as well.

I like Irish Breakfast Tea. There are some generic bag brands in the supermarket.

Loose tea is much better, but I haven't been to Teavana in a bit.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #294: January 28, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »
tom, it's like saying kissing leads to pregnancy

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #295: January 28, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »
The new BBQ place in del ray has Moxie!!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #296: January 28, 2012, 06:50:32 PM »
tom, it's like saying kissing leads to pregnancy

We don't know how they tested it so we can hardly blow it off as lacking any validity, can we? 

I think I'd want to know who did the test(s), who was paying for it(them), and details about the tests before drawing any conclusions.  For sure I'd be skeptical until learning more. 

Offline Nathan

« Reply #297: January 28, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »
Reading through all these articles now, basically you can only drink water and only eat things you grow yourself or you will get some horrible disease and die.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #298: January 28, 2012, 07:24:38 PM »
Reading through all these articles now, basically you can only drink water and only eat things you grow yourself or you will get some horrible disease and die.

We're all doomed pretty much!

But, no reason to expedite the day of reckoning.   

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #299: January 28, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »
But, no reason to expedite the day of reckoning. 

Which is why you need to get an E-meter today!  Only a select few will reach a state of "clear"...