Author Topic: McGwire Admits Steroid Use  (Read 4365 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
McGwire Admits Steroid Use
« Topic Start: January 11, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »
www.boston.com

Breaking sports news 3:11 PM
McGwire admits to using steroids
Former St. Louis slugger Mark McGwire says he used steroids when he broke baseball's single-season home run record in 1998, the Associated Press is reporting.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: McGwire Admits Steroid Use
« Reply #1: January 11, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »
Yep. Just saw that.

No surprises.

*Waits for SF to come flying in with 'this guy is a bum. Who cares?  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:"*

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #2: January 11, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »
 News flash from Washington Post .Now we wait on Bonds

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: January 11, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »
Found this quote interesting.

I’m sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids,” McGwire said. “I had good years when I didn’t take any, and I had bad years when I didn’t take any. I had good years when I took steroids, and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn’t have done it and for that I’m truly sorry.

I've always liked the guy... I don't see it changing now that he admitted to something we all knew was true.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #4: January 11, 2010, 03:49:05 PM »
Translation: "Please, please, PLEASE elect me to the Hall of Fame!"

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: January 11, 2010, 03:55:52 PM »

More to do with getting back into the game as a hitting coach and not wanting there to be any distractions, I'm guessing.

Either way, freak him.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #6: January 11, 2010, 03:55:58 PM »
www.boston.com

McGwire was always one of my favorite players and I remember watching #62, it was on my 30th birthday.   He resurrected baseball in St. Louis when he arrived, and turned down bigger paydays to stay there.

This is depressing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: January 11, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »
This is depressingcleansing, one can hope.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #8: January 11, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
next on Sportscenter: The sky is blue and water is wet.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: January 11, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »
And I thought he just used Andro

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #10: January 11, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
And I thought he just used Andro

Isn't that the stuff you use to kill fire ants?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: January 11, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »
Isn't that the stuff you use to kill fire ants?

Yet another reason I celebrate my escape from Texas.

I was starting to get allergic to those little boogers.

Offline PC

« Reply #12: January 11, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »
I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #13: January 11, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »
Maybe he figures that this way he gets the HR record back...if nothing else, he's now two steps ahead of Corky Sosa. 

Bonds will never fess up to anything, but what does it matter...his skull grew to the size of an Easter Island stone head in his mid/late 30s, and that kind of thing simply doesn't happen outside of Chernobyl.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #14: January 11, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
Yet another reason I celebrate my escape from Texas.

I was starting to get allergic to those little boogers.

The first time I ever set foot in TX, a swarm of them climbed right into my sandals :lmao: I came pre-prepared with the allergy.

Did he even garner enough votes to allow further consideration? He has 0% chance of election, more likely LaRussa wanted it out of the way so it wouldn't distract in case he makes good on his crazy threat of bringing Mac back to PH in the playoffs.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #15: January 11, 2010, 06:02:39 PM »
Yeah... he was like 21% this year.

Anything under 5% gets you taken off the ballot.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #16: January 11, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »
Yeah... he was like 21% this year.

Anything under 5% gets you taken off the ballot.

*vomiting smiley*

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: January 11, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
The first time I ever set foot in TX, a swarm of them climbed right into my sandals :lmao: I came pre-prepared with the allergy.

I thought those nice little mounds of earth at the edge of the pond were the perfect place to place one foot to balance myself optimally for casting my 8-weight into the pond.  I learned why Texans don't wear sandles.   :-[

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #18: January 11, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
McGwire, Bonds, Palmiero, Giambi all wore jersey #25. Oh man, Alexi Casilla...not you please. #mlb #twins about 4 hours ago from web
Batting Stance Guy (BattingStanceG) on Twitter

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #19: January 11, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »
I like the way he handled it a lot. For one, he didn't lie about it like others have (I may have misremembered someone though). I dunno, I wouldn't vote him into the HoF, but the way he went about it is much better, and I don't harbor any resentment towards him like others may.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #20: January 12, 2010, 03:16:57 AM »
I like the way he handled it a lot. For one, he didn't lie about it like others have (I may have misremembered someone though). I dunno, I wouldn't vote him into the HoF, but the way he went about it is much better, and I don't harbor any resentment towards him like others may.

Refusing to testify under oath? You like that? He looked like a supreme jerk.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: January 12, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »

Refusing to testify under oath? You like that? He looked like a supreme jerk.

The 5th amendment:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

It's being reported that McGwire first went to Rep. Tom Davis to indicate that he wanted to talk about steroids, but that he needed immunity to do so.  His lawyers then petitioned Alberto Gonzalez and attempted negotiations with Henry Waxman, but were rebuffed. No immunity.  He was advised by his counsel that if he testified truthfully regarding his past use of steroids, that he could be prosecuted.  No immunity, no testimony.

How do you think he should have handled this?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #22: January 12, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
The 5th amendment:
It's being reported that McGwire first went to Rep. Tom Davis to indicate that he wanted to talk about steroids, but that he needed immunity to do so.  His lawyers then petitioned Alberto Gonzalez and attempted negotiations with Henry Waxman, but were rebuffed. No immunity.  He was advised by his counsel that if he testified truthfully regarding his past use of steroids, that he could be prosecuted.  No immunity, no testimony.

How do you think he should have handled this?

That's all fine and dandy ... but don't come back 5 years later and beg/whine/sniffle/cry lookin' for "mercy".    Hug a root Mark !

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: January 12, 2010, 09:06:59 AM »
I watched the Costas interview.  It struck me that McGwire still has not figured out all the implications of what he did.  He still has the athletes view, "my power is mine; i'd have hit the homers anyway," but he recognizes what he did was shameful and is a permanent tarnish on what he accomplished.  he did not say that he surpassed Maris and did not dispute the notion that, at least to the Maris family, Maris is still the HR champ.  I think he does not recognize that, even if he took the steriods to prevent injury, by preventing injury, he extended his quality playing time beyond what his body naturally could have done in 1998, therefore the 70 would have been something less.  The "I only took minimal amounts to prevent injury" line shows that he is not a doctor (but neither am I).   I think he believes that his legit efforts (shortening his stroke, generating backspin, film work) do not get recognized enough, and will not be because of his steroid use.  Also, he still is not going to push anyone else under the bus, refusing to impute anything on any other player.  The deal he says he cut with Waxman and Davis, only to talk about he future and not his use, reflects the belief "I was wrong, I'll take my punishment, but I'm not draggin anyone else in," which came through even when he was talking to Costas.

I would not vote him into the HOF because he did not set the single season records clean and I question his longevity.   having said that, I hope he is a great hitting coach and makes everyone forget Walt Hriniak.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: January 12, 2010, 09:17:30 AM »
That's all fine and dandy ... but don't come back 5 years later and beg/whine/sniffle/cry lookin' for "mercy".    Hug a root Mark !

I don't disagree with you.  I'm just saying he had a reason.  That being said, he made his own bed.