Author Topic: Current/Former Military  (Read 17053 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Current/Former Military
« Reply #125: August 09, 2012, 10:11:04 PM »
Are you going to be at anymore Nats games?  Buy ya a beer or a souvenir soda before ya go!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMTwq1_9VH68&v=MTwq1_9VH68&gl=US

Offline heeman82

« Reply #126: August 09, 2012, 10:56:11 PM »
Yep I'm not going going anywhere for at least a year.  A weekend a month til then.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #127: August 23, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
I'm not sure if any of the folks who recently served are thinking about going back to college, but here is an article on a short program that Yale set up to work with veterans on skills useful to those going to back to school after military service.  It's for those thinking about any college - associate degrees or 4 year anywhere.  this year it was a week in June, but it might expand to a couple of weeks.
http://news.yale.edu/2012/06/18/warrior-scholar-project-easing-move-combat-college?utm_source=eline&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eline-07-2012

One of the soldiers in the article was in Restrepo.  An Australian special ops veteran of Afghanistan is one of the organizers.   

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #128: August 23, 2012, 11:32:17 PM »
I've always had mixed feelings on the draft, in some ways I think this would be a better country if everyone had to server 2 years, and it might make our leaders less reluctant to commit forces to combat without public support.

I opposed the draft in the '60s because I opposed the war. Never comfortable with that. Later decided that everyone ought to serve. My son decided to join the NJ Army National Guard in 2002, since he wanted to be in uniform to help in case of another catastrophe like the World Trade Center. He never got to be a week-end warrior...spent about half of his "contract" in uniform. Deployed once to a physically safe but professionally risky place. Met wife at Ft Meade during AIT. She was assigned to II Corps HQ, FT Hood. Deployed 2004 - 5 when II Corps HQ took 1st Cav to Iraq.

It always felt that those of us with kids in the military thought about the Iraq war differently.

Son said, "I can't speak, so you have to make sure this crazy occupation doesn't happen again"

Offline heeman82

« Reply #129: August 25, 2012, 01:18:36 AM »
This is somewhat military-related.. Got through the initial stage of the hiring process for Marine Corps civilian police.  Driving down to SC for panel interview and agility test.  This is especially significant because I am finally having some luck with USAjobs.  Anyway, I'm pretty psyched.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #130: August 25, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
This is somewhat military-related.. Got through the initial stage of the hiring process for Marine Corps civilian police.  Driving down to SC for panel interview and agility test.  This is especially significant because I am finally having some luck with USAjobs.  Anyway, I'm pretty psyched.

Awesome!! Best of luck dude and again, thanks for your service!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #131: August 25, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »
Good luck, guy.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #132: September 13, 2012, 01:59:14 AM »

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #133: September 13, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
http://vimeo.com/49333367

Their website:

http://www.woundedwarrioramputeesoftballteam.org/player-profiles.html

Looks like they are/were called the Washington Nationals Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Team. They carry the uniform well :)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                                                                                   June 28, 2012

WASHINGTON NATIONALS WOUNDED WARRIOR AMPUTEE SOFTBALL TEAM PLAYERS ALONGSIDE KANSAS CITY NATIVE RICK SUTCLIFFE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 2012 TACO BELL ALL-STAR LEGENDS & CELEBRITY SOFTBALL GAME ON ESPN

MLB Network Hosts Chris Rose and Kevin Millar to be In-Park Announcers

Washington Nationals Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Team players Saul Bosquez and Matt Kinsey along with three-time All-Star and ESPN analyst Rick Sutcliffe, who is a Kansas City native, will join the star-studded roster for the 2012 Taco Bell All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game on ESPN.  Chris Rose and Kevin Millar, hosts of MLB Network’s “Intentional Talk,” will join the game as the in-park announcers for fans at Kauffman Stadium on Sunday, July 8th.

Bosquez, US Army, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Kinsey, US Army, Operation Enduring Freedom, are both members of the Washington Nationals Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Team (WWAST).  WWAST is an extraordinary group of athletes comprised of veterans and active duty service members who have lost limbs while serving their country. Traveling around the United States wearing Nationals “Curly W” jerseys, the team uses the latest in prosthetic technology and plays only able-bodied teams. The partnership between the Nationals and the softball team has helped to further demonstrate to other amputees and the general public that these athletes – through extensive rehabilitation and training – are able to enjoy the sport they love while proving that “life without a limb is limitless.” 

The six-inning Softball Game features celebrities from TV, movies and music. Bosquez and Kinsey will join scheduled participants Eric Stonestreet; Jon Hamm; Chord Overstreet; Haley Reinhart; Carlos Bocanegra; Horatio Sanz; David Nail; David Cook; Jon “Bones” Jones; Paul Dimeo; Jennie Finch; Matt Cassel; and Bill Self.

Past MLB stars also are scheduled to participate, including former Royals greats George Brett, Bo Jackson and Mike Sweeney plus Hall of Famers Andre Dawson, Rollie Fingers, Rickey Henderson, Ozzie Smith and Dave Winfield as well as perennial All-Stars Joe Carter and Rick Sutcliffe.

Following the softball game, the skies above Kauffman Stadium will be lit by a spectacular fireworks show to cap off Taco Bell All-Star Sunday.

The Taco Bell All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game will be televised by ESPN at approximately 10:30 p.m. Eastern immediately following the State Farm Home Run Derby which begins at 8:00 p.m. Eastern on Monday, July 9th. The Game will also be available on ESPN3.com, ESPN Mobile TV and via the WatchESPN app.

http://www.woundedwarrioramputeesoftballteam.org/in-the-news.html

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #134: September 13, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »
I follow them on facebook!  They travel around the country.  They wear their own jerseys but they wear red curly w caps or blue curly w shorts!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #135: September 13, 2012, 10:24:49 PM »
I found this on facebook!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #136: September 13, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
I was cruising along on my bike a couple of days ago when a double amputee blew by me on a hand-powered tricycle...he was decked out like a TDF rider (minus two legs) and was--judging from his jersey--an Iraq IED victim.  I just about killed myself trying to catch him to fist bump or something, but could not reel the guy in.  Damn he was fast.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #137: September 14, 2012, 08:53:01 AM »
I found this on facebook!

Unfortunately, it's also pretty true. TAPs class is a joke. I learned more about resume writing from online material. In fact, I think the only thing I learned was that your belt is supposed to match your shoes

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #138: September 14, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
I was cruising along on my bike a couple of days ago when a double amputee blew by me on a hand-powered tricycle...he was decked out like a TDF rider (minus two legs) and was--judging from his jersey--an Iraq IED victim.  I just about killed myself trying to catch him to fist bump or something, but could not reel the guy in.  Damn he was fast.

Back when I was active duty, I was "voluntold" to work the Marine Corps Marathon. That was a long boring day, but I was humbled when I saw an IED survivor that had lost his vision and both legs in a blast. He was on a hand powered tri cycle pumping away and his support team was surrounding him giving him verbal cues on when to turn and what not. Truly an inspiration.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #139: September 14, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »
My wife's cousin's husband... Yeah, I know :lol: Is Army EOD. He's been blown up twice and I think the only injury he suffered was partial hearing loss. That's bad enough, but it could have been so much worse. He elisted during the first Gulf War and has served since. He's getting retired now due to them finding out on his return physical or whatever they call it, that's now an insulin dependent Diabetic. He loves his job and has done 3 or 4 tours in the desert, but I know his wife and kids are silently happy. He had been offered a job with the FBI or CIA, some agency like that, on their bomb squad but the Military put a stop loss on him. He may have his chance now I guess.

Major props to all of or soldiers!!! Let us not forget the Coast Guard either. I'm guilty of that far too often.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #140: September 14, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »
Let us not forget the Coast Guard either. I'm guilty of that far too often.

My sister married a coastie and I was a Marine, so naturally we have our little "rivalry" but the Coast Guard guys do shift over under the DoD during a time of war (at least I'm pretty sure they do) and there was a Coast Guard member killed on Iwo Jima during that battle. That being said, sacrifice and selfless service are two admirable traits, regardless of the outfit worn while carrying out the act.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #141: September 14, 2012, 06:54:23 PM »
My sister married a coastie and I was a Marine, so naturally we have our little "rivalry" but the Coast Guard guys do shift over under the DoD during a time of war (at least I'm pretty sure they do) and there was a Coast Guard member killed on Iwo Jima during that battle. That being said, sacrifice and selfless service are two admirable traits, regardless of the outfit worn while carrying out the act.

Ocean rescue as conducted by the Coast Guard is extremely hazardous and requires training that in many ways exceeds that Navy Seals get.  Of course, most Coasties don't go that extreme but as ocean cops many put their lives on the line each day, albeit not to an extreme level.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #142: September 14, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »
Frau's dad shot down german torpedo bomber(s) from the signal deck of a US Coast Guard DE on convoy duty off of north Africa in 1942/3.  USCG was a big component of the Battle f the Atlantic, and I believe they also were  a big part of some of the big Pacific battles.  In wartime, they are part of the "bluewater navy".   

He was pretty old when she was born...she's not THAT much of a cradle robber  :lol:

Offline heeman82

« Reply #143: November 09, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »
Happy early 237th b-day to my fellow Marines. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #144: November 09, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »

Amen to that!

I work with a former Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer. I think he was out of the Philly area or something. I'm not sure.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #145: November 09, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #146: November 09, 2012, 09:29:45 PM »
Mmmmm ... free caaaaaaaaake

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #147: November 09, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »

Semper Fi!!!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #148: November 09, 2012, 11:41:44 PM »
big veterans day parade in old town manassas saturday at 11 AM.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #149: November 10, 2012, 08:55:05 AM »
big veterans day parade in old town manassas saturday at 11 AM.

Cool! Thanks

If you can read this, thank you for your service.  A friend posted it on facebook.  So its facebook related.

Just for fun--

India foxtrot yankee oscar uniform charlie alpha november uniform november delta echo romeo sierra tango alpha november delta tango hotel india sierra charlie oscar papa yankee alpha november delta papa alpha sierra tango echo india tango tango oscar yankee oscar uniform romeo sierra tango alpha tango uniform sierra (in honor of our Armed Forces) - let's see who gets it and follows the instructions.

L