Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 54372 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #300: October 23, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »
anyhow...

I'm looking into getting a cheap used Laptop and just installing whatever I want on it. I am fairly-computer literate, I imagine enough so to build my own computer from scratch, software-wise. if I don't know something, i know where to find it out. (come here, google search, ask my all-knowing computer-whiz dad)

the absolute cheapest laptops I've seen were at a pawn shop for 100 bucks. I'm fairly sure they are pieces of crap, but I did not examine them very closely..just stopped in on a whim and looked at the price tags.  I'm gonna look around.

basically, i just want a computer that I don't have to share with anyone(I share my desktop with my wife, and if I get a laptop, then the desktop will be all hers), and that I can take with me if I want.

I'm not going to be doing any heavy gaming or really graphic intensive stuff on it, any gaming beyond maybe a Facebook game or Browser-based Flash game I'll get a console for.

I'm basically just going to do:

Word Processing
Creating Invoices
Web Browsing
Posting on Message Boards/Facebook/Twitter
Email
downloading videos/watching videos on Hulu/Youtube
playing simple flash or facebook games.

and that's pretty much it.

realistically, just how powerful a laptop do I really need to accomplish this adequately?

if I buy a fresh computer with Windows 7 on it, I'll just stick with Windows 7. but if I buy a used one, I'm going to put Linux(Ubuntu) on it and build from scratch.

I'm good either way, I just know that with Ubuntu I won't have access to MediaGo, so I'll need to find some other way to manage PSP files if/when I buy a PSPgo. but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, it's not important right now.