Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40117 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #275: July 11, 2010, 02:51:02 AM »
so now that I have an android phone, curiosity kicks in.

The Google Buzz Mobile app. is it any good? its integrated with Google Maps, right and kinda works similar to foursquare?

is Buzz in general COMPLETELY dead? or just the GMail version is dead, and people still get good use from the mobile version?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #276: July 20, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #277: August 04, 2010, 06:27:27 PM »

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #278: August 10, 2010, 09:08:08 PM »
did anyone else recently get an updated GMail?

mine just changed.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #279: August 10, 2010, 09:08:49 PM »

mine just changed.

Yeah, just now. Kinda freaked me out because I had it open when it changed.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #280: August 10, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »

mine just changed.

Thanks. F5 brought it out for me.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #281: August 10, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
Mine hasn't.

Offline JMW IV

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #283: August 15, 2010, 01:02:19 AM »

mine just changed.

same here - nothing real major, just some tweaks.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #284: August 15, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
Yeah mine changed Weds or Thurs, I forget.  I'm "meh" about the changes.  Liked the old way just fine but they didn't screw anything up enough to be worth getting upset over.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #285: August 27, 2010, 07:13:30 AM »
being able to make and receive phone calls from my GMail...on my computer....is AWESOME.

that is all.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #286: August 27, 2010, 08:49:15 AM »
Meh, it's neat, but aside from calling myself and my friend last night to essentially say "LOLOL!" I'll probably never use it ever again.

<<< Not a phone person.

:old:

I will be interested to see what kind of rates they charge after this year, though.  It's pretty obvious that they're only intending it to be free long enough to get people hooked.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #287: August 27, 2010, 08:53:31 AM »
Meh, it's neat, but aside from calling myself and my friend last night to essentially say "LOLOL!" I'll probably never use it ever again.

<<< Not a phone person.

:old:

I will be interested to see what kind of rates they charge after this year, though.  It's pretty obvious that they're only intending it to be free long enough to get people hooked.

in order for them to charge, it HAS to work with the mobile client period. otherwise, its not worth the price.

i gotta say that this is a lifesaver, since my cell phone is turned off for now, and I don't use home phone service at all(don't even have one activated).

I essentially have a free home phone, so to speak.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #288: August 27, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
in order for them to charge, it HAS to work with the mobile client period. otherwise, its not worth the price.

i gotta say that this is a lifesaver, since my cell phone is turned off for now, and I don't use home phone service at all(don't even have one activated).

I essentially have a free home phone, so to speak.

Yeah, I sit at my machine most of the day. Now I no longer need to use daytime minutes. It's great for conference calls, too, and for waiting on hold with customer service.

Anyone know if you need a proxy to use it overseas?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #289: August 27, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »
That's very cool for you guys.  I want to see how "the market" adapts to this.  Right now it seems like there's a lot of potential for abuse or at least creative misuse.  And I'm sure Comcast, Verizon, etc. don't much care for the idea of Google usurping their phone customers.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #290: August 27, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
Now the google can listen in on your private phone calls!!!! :panic: :panic: :panic:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #291: August 27, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »
Now the google can listen in on your private phone calls!!!! :panic: :panic: :panic:

:lmao: The seamless integration with Voice is so impressive :clap:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #292: August 30, 2010, 10:12:59 AM »
I know I'm usually vocal about privacy concerns - and I do still have plenty about this - but damn this stuff is so slick.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #293: August 30, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
I know I'm usually vocal about privacy concerns - and I do still have plenty about this - but damn this stuff is so slick.

Why do I care if someone hears me talking to my wife about groceries? I can see idiots in the government using it for secure calls or something stupid, or wanting to do your stock trading on your landline, but for everyday tasks, it sounds great, works flawlessly, and saves me tons of money.  Plus when you move you don't need to change your cell number to have a local number.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #294: August 30, 2010, 10:52:17 AM »
It's not about the government dummy.  They can tap any of our phones without a warrant now anyway :?

Ever heard the saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket"?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #295: August 30, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »
It's not about the government dummy.  They can tap any of our phones without a warrant now anyway :?

Ever heard the saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket"?

What I mean is, dumbass government types always put secure data in insecure places, like putting the SSN of soldiers on unprotected websites. The main privacy snafus will be classified data I bet. Like I said, you just have to use your head. If hackers get a hold of my call log to my wife, again, I don't care.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #296: August 30, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »
You should randomly slip red-flag words into your conversations just to annoy them :P

Online imref

« Reply #297: August 30, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »
I'm using google voice calling from within Chrome on my mac, quality is fantastic, much better than my Vonage line but about the same as Skype.  The only downside is that you can't close the browser so you have to be careful when multitasking.  As long as it's free I'll use it, but I couldn't see moving to Google from Skype unless it's a lot cheaper.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #298: August 30, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »
I doubt I'll ever use the in-browser calling.  For me, it's much more useful as a call-one/ring-all number.  The text messaging and voicemail features aren't too bad either.

Online imref

« Reply #299: August 30, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
I doubt I'll ever use the in-browser calling.  For me, it's much more useful as a call-one/ring-all number.  The text messaging and voicemail features aren't too bad either.

I've used Google Voice / Grandcentral for a few years now for in-bound call management and I absolutely love it.  I still can't get used to using it for outbound dialing on my Blackberry, I might use dial-out on the laptop but I hate being wedded to a computer when I'm on the phone, it's too difficult to take a bathroom break or get something to eat/drink during a long conference call.