Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158073 times)

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #100: May 02, 2008, 10:55:57 AM »
There's crack out on South Capitol if one wants to take it another level...

Huh.    I guess I just never noticed before.  I was really shocked when I walked into Nats Park on opening night and here's a guy selling scotch and vodka and etc.   I guess fans don't get drunk enough and unruly enough on beer....

• babble on
« Reply #101: May 02, 2008, 10:59:07 AM »
I like Peroni in Italy, but they must water it down a lot for export...there's no discernable hoppiness whatsover in the draught stuff here.  I know they are now SAB-Miller products, but I would hope that at least some of the original character would be apparent!  Urquell is still absolutely A-Ok, on the other hand. 

Great new beer arrival on the 300 concourse tonight - Pilsner Urquell and Peroni on draught, available from a new beer-only bar roughly outside the entrance to 309 (look for the all-wood porta-bar, placed perpendicular to the seating). Much easier to get to from my seat in 312 than the existing Urquell bar.

This is similar to what's been added at Verizon Centre for Capitals matchnights, for those looking only for beer - excellent idea, keep up the good work!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #102: May 19, 2008, 03:05:35 PM »
If anybody is looking for a different beer experience than you normally find (stuff you might have never heard of or see elsewhere and in some cases costs more than you think beer should) and are not afraid of not-completely "established" neighborhoods you should check out Granville Moore's on H St NE (1200 block).

Stella is their entry level beer and priced reasonably at 4$ or you could step it up in the pilsener category and get a 6$ Bavik. My non Guinees pallette (sp?) is in hibernation so the both were good, maybe an edge to the Bavik.  The Stella is on tap and was colder, so that gave it some points.

I havent really ventured much into their other categories. Kinda because it is like the "So many choices? Ah F it just give me a Stella"

In summary, tons of beers, I think they are all Belgian, if not, 90% of them are.

Food is good.  Mussels are their signature, but their steak sandwich is really good. The Bison steak is a little hit or miss. Good once, second time I had it not so much.

Atmospere is pretty cool.  Old house that was gutted and they basically didnt refurb. Old furniture.  Good not loud varied music

http://www.granvillemoores.com/

Beer list is not up to date (Fall 2007) but you get the idea

Offline blue911

« Reply #103: May 19, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #104: May 20, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »
I noticed a change in the beer selection last night.  somewhere around section 119, there was a beer stand with taps for Old Dominion and Fordham Copperhead.  The ladies pouring beer said these were new products that hadn't been sold in earlier games.  So maybe there's hope here.

Has anyone else noticed similiar changes in areas near their seats ?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #105: May 20, 2008, 09:22:04 AM »
I noticed a change in the beer selection last night.  somewhere around section 119, there was a beer stand with taps for Old Dominion and Fordham Copperhead.  The ladies pouring beer said these were new products that hadn't been sold in earlier games.  So maybe there's hope here.

Has anyone else noticed similiar changes in areas near their seats ?

Glad to see it finally happened.  Dominion gets its nose under the tent thanks to Anheiser Busch, which has distribution priveledges along with its 49% ownership.  In all the activity involved in getting setup in the new Park, they literally forgot to include Dominion in the work plan, and picked it up after I inquired with my contact at AB.

• babble on
« Reply #106: May 20, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »
Stella is fine, but what we need at the ballpark is some good Belgian ale like Duvel or Orval.  And steamed mussels and twice-fried frites with garlic mayo.   

Offline blue911

« Reply #107: May 20, 2008, 11:16:15 AM »
Stella is fine, but what we need at the ballpark is some good Belgian ale like Duvel or Orval.  And steamed mussels and twice-fried frites with garlic mayo.  

Go to Belga on Barracks Row before the game.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #108: May 24, 2008, 05:43:04 AM »
uring last night's game, there were Fordham/Old Dominion stands at 4 or 5 different locations - on the 100 and 300 levels.  Sections 115 and 305 are 2 locations I remember, as well as near the Center Field gate.

Now if they could only get the Fordham Tavern Ale or Oyster Stoudt ...

Glad to see it finally happened.  Dominion gets its nose under the tent thanks to Anheiser Busch, which has distribution priveledges along with its 49% ownership.  In all the activity involved in getting setup in the new Park, they literally forgot to include Dominion in the work plan, and picked it up after I inquired with my contact at AB.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #109: June 03, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
There's an interesting article on the front page of the June/July edition of Mid-Atlantic Brewing News regarding the beer situation at Nationals Park: "Buy Me Some Peanuts and Crackerjack, Local Beer Is All That We Lack." Unfortunately, no link is available, but you can pick up the Brewing News at the Dogfish Ale House in Falls Church (and I suspect other fine microbrew establishments). Here are are few tidbits from the article:

Centerplate's GM says that not all of their microbrews are in place yet. They are considering rotating taps each homestand to reflect the beers of the opposing team's region.

One of Clipper City's sales reps said they tried to get their beer into the park and were given the cold shoulder by Centerplate.

Cap City may arrive at a compromise with Miller over the beer garden for 2009. A Miller representative says their only signage restriction concerns using the Nats logo. Cap City is even econsidering a spring beer festival on the stadium grounds.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #110: June 10, 2008, 08:35:18 PM »
...there were Fordham/Old Dominion stands at 4 or 5 different locations - on the 100 and 300 levels.  Sections 115 and 305 are 2 locations I remember, as well as near the Center Field gate.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #111: June 10, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »

Mmmmm. And waterzooi and stewed rabbit, and beer with more hops in it than you knew possible. Maybe Delirium Tremens.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #112: June 11, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »
Mmmmm. And waterzooi and stewed rabbit, and beer with more hops in it than you knew possible. Maybe Delirium Tremens.

I love waterzooi....especially on a snowy winter day....

Offline Dave B

« Reply #113: August 02, 2008, 05:05:29 PM »
I try not to get caught up in the Dogfish head hype. I feel like sometimes they get a little too crazy because they think they are hot stuff.  But their chickory stout is pretty good.  Had some out of a bottle over the winter and it was alright. Had it again last week on tap and it was much better than I remember

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #114: August 02, 2008, 05:21:02 PM »
I try not to get caught up in the Dogfish head hype. I feel like sometimes they get a little too crazy because they think they are hot stuff.  But their chickory stout is pretty good.  Had some out of a bottle over the winter and it was alright. Had it again last week on tap and it was much better than I remember

Funny, I like a lot of their beers, but the chicory stout seemed watery and thin (compared to my expectations) when I tried it, albeit out of a bottle.  Maybe I need to try draft.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #115: August 04, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »
Interesting .... What hype do you mean, Dave ?  Dogfish is a little special here because it's almost local (definately local for DC beach goers).  But also if one enjoys strong tasting beer, the Dogfish beers are good matches.  But I never got the feeling the Dogfish brewers (or customers) thought they were hot stuff.

It would be nice if the Nationals would serve some Dogfish beers at the ballgames.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #116: August 04, 2008, 12:34:34 PM »
Interesting .... What hype do you mean, Dave ?  Dogfish is a little special here because it's almost local (definately local for DC beach goers).  But also if one enjoys strong tasting beer, the Dogfish beers are good matches.  But I never got the feeling the Dogfish brewers (or customers) thought they were hot stuff.

It would be nice if the Nationals would serve some Dogfish beers at the ballgames.

I feel like they get a little crazy with their super strong beers. I've never had the 120 minute. But at their breweries they have these concoctions of like 15-18% stuff. I did have one. Probably wouldnt get it again.  They also sell "vintage" beers.  They were produced a couple years ago and sold for like 20$ per bottle.  I thought beer was supposed to be fresh. 

Maybe it is the local affection that I notice. They are OK, just not really any more special than other craft beers.  There was also an article where they came out with some beer and sold it for 100$ per case because that is what they thought they could charge. Hey, good for them. It just sounded like "people will buy anything we sell, even at 100$ per case (or maybe just because it is 100$ per case)" as opposed to "this is so good, it is worth 100$ per case".  I find it hard to believe anything is worth 100$ per case. Although I guess that is 4$ per beer and basically in line with bar prices for Miller Lite.  But when at the beer store and looking at 25$ good cases (actually what does a case of good stuff go for these days? havent bought a case of good stuff in a while, mostly just 6 packs that run 8-9 dollars) I would probably be hard pressed to spend 100$ on something that can't possibly be 4 times better than something like a Magic Hat

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #117: August 04, 2008, 01:34:54 PM »
uring last night's game, there were Fordham/Old Dominion stands at 4 or 5 different locations - on the 100 and 300 levels.  Sections 115 and 305 are 2 locations I remember, as well as near the Center Field gate.

Now if they could only get the Fordham Tavern Ale or Oyster Stoudt ...

They are also up at the 400 levels, as is Hook and Ladder if you're in the mood for another local microbrew.

• babble on
« Reply #118: August 04, 2008, 01:50:27 PM »
That 120 minute stuff really has to fall under the rubric of "barley wine" instead of beer...it's a little over the top.

I feel like they get a little crazy with their super strong beers. I've never had the 120 minute. But at their breweries they have these concoctions of like 15-18% stuff. I did have one. Probably wouldnt get it again.  They also sell "vintage" beers.  They were produced a couple years ago and sold for like 20$ per bottle.  I thought beer was supposed to be fresh. 

Maybe it is the local affection that I notice. They are OK, just not really any more special than other craft beers.  There was also an article where they came out with some beer and sold it for 100$ per case because that is what they thought they could charge. Hey, good for them. It just sounded like "people will buy anything we sell, even at 100$ per case (or maybe just because it is 100$ per case)" as opposed to "this is so good, it is worth 100$ per case".  I find it hard to believe anything is worth 100$ per case. Although I guess that is 4$ per beer and basically in line with bar prices for Miller Lite.  But when at the beer store and looking at 25$ good cases (actually what does a case of good stuff go for these days? havent bought a case of good stuff in a while, mostly just 6 packs that run 8-9 dollars) I would probably be hard pressed to spend 100$ on something that can't possibly be 4 times better than something like a Magic Hat

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #119: August 04, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »
The 90 and 120 really should be drank from brandy glasses, and thought of similarly as opposed to ballpark beers.

Offline blue911

« Reply #120: August 04, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »
the 90 smells like bong water to me. Never tried the 120.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #121: August 04, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »
the 90 smells like bong water to me. Never tried the 120.

I think I'm on safe ground saying you're not going to like it.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #122: August 05, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »
I haven't seen any new beer additions at the ballpark lately. I'd really like to get Clipper City on board. We had a great time talking to their employees last year at the Zoo Brew and drinking the Loose Cannon. FYI--the Zoo Brew will be at National Zoo on 8/21 this year, if you want to partake of a lot of good beers in one place.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ActivitiesAndEvents/YoungProfessionals/AfterHours/

• babble on
« Reply #123: August 05, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »
That whole Zoo Brew concept is great...getting tipsy where falling over a railing will get you eaten.  And it's a 10 minute walk from my house...brilliant!

I haven't seen any new beer additions at the ballpark lately. I'd really like to get Clipper City on board. We had a great time talking to their employees last year at the Zoo Brew and drinking the Loose Cannon. FYI--the Zoo Brew will be at National Zoo on 8/21 this year, if you want to partake of a lot of good beers in one place.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ActivitiesAndEvents/YoungProfessionals/AfterHours/

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #124: August 20, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
This month, I've noticed there are more stands at Nationals Park with Dominion Ale, Fordham Copperhead Ale, and Stella Artios.