Author Topic: Strasburg and the 2012 NLDS  (Read 17195 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: The Strasburg Mistake
« Reply #100: October 11, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
Sure.  I'm really trying not to cherry pick.  I think I've seen that many fastball pitchers gain velocity over the season, but I probably should check. Maybe look at the top 10 fastball starters on fangraphs, go into their game logs, and look at the distribution of their peak velocity games.  more work than I can do now; i hope to be watching Nats games through most of the month so may not get to it for a while.

By the way, the argument that he was deteriorating is different from the argument that he was shut down because he was deteriorating.  The limit was set before he even pitched, so it was not a call based on his deterioration.  The deterioration would be more to confirm that, given the plan to use him every turn without skipping or shorting him innings, he was burning out consistent with that projection.  We can sit here and say, he needed to be shut down when he was, and the deterioration shows he was not able of pitching more innings than that.  What it does not answer is whether the plan was off from the get go and he should have had skipped starts, time in the pen, short starts, more use of Lannan and 6 man rotation turns, etc...