Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 72404 times)

Offline sportsfan882

What is taking so long to sign everyone else? Nats haven't had one substantial signing yet.

I know the top guys are waiting until the deadline but what about everyone else?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I wasn't taking a jab at you.

I was making fun of Nats PR for taking so long to announce it.

Maybe they were waiting for the first big enough fish, which I guess is Skole.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
What is taking so long to sign everyone else? Nats haven't had one substantial signing yet.

I know the top guys are waiting until the deadline but what about everyone else?

Hill (6th), Holt (8th), Anderson (9th), Harper (30th) & Thompson (46th) are still playing in the College World Series

Stubbs (14th) & Burns (32nd) are playing on the Cape

Offline DPMOmaha

Purke is playing on the Cape, too, right?

Offline NFA Brian

The only early guy to watch in the near term is Kylin Turnbull, the 4th round LHP

Offline NFA Brian

Purke is playing on the Cape, too, right?

supposed to be

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
supposed to be

I checked the rosters last night.

Didn't see him on a team... but then again, there hasn't been a story saying he wasn't going to pitch, either.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Added the ones on the MASN link to the OP.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
How does Alex Meyer compare to Fister?  Tall lanky guy.

Fister was an absolute beast last night.  There were only a handful of hard hit balls - and even if those dropped in for hits he still probably would have had a shutout going.

Offline Glockypoo

How does Alex Meyer compare to Fister?  Tall lanky guy.

Fister was an absolute beast last night.  There were only a handful of hard hit balls - and even if those dropped in for hits he still probably would have had a shutout going.

Meyer could be Fister with better raw stuff if he can learn to repeat his delivery and command the strike zone. Big iffs, but that's the type of ceiling Meyer has.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I checked the rosters last night.

Didn't see him on a team... but then again, there hasn't been a story saying he wasn't going to pitch, either.

I haven't found him on a roster. I was actually at the Falmouth game last night, where he played last year, he wasn't listed and I didn't see him.

Maybe he's resting for a couple weeks and reporting late. I will send tweets at Callis and the Falmouth team to see if I can get any info.

Offline NFA Brian

Unlike Purke, Meyer really doesn't have anything to gain by pitching on the Cape this summer. He has realistically maxed out his draft potential and any work now would just increase his chance of injuring himself

Offline HalfSmokes

Does anyone know with a guy like meyer who's pretty likely to sign, why the process takes so long? I can understand if the guy is trying to prove health or if he's a high first round pick trying to set precedent, but for a guy like meyer, a fast signing seems in everyone's interest since the range of his bonus is probably already known and accepted by both sides- he gets in the system and starts working his way up.

Offline NFA Brian

Does anyone know with a guy like meyer who's pretty likely to sign, why the process takes so long? I can understand if the guy is trying to prove health or if he's a high first round pick trying to set precedent, but for a guy like meyer, a fast signing seems in everyone's interest since the range of his bonus is probably already known and accepted by both sides- he gets in the system and starts working his way up.

Part of it is taking the time off after the college season. Players (especially pitchers) need some down time

Another part is that the over-slot bonuses tend to materialize later in the process

Finally, MLB does not want over-slot deals announced early so they influence other draft deals (mind you it's an absurd sentiment because agents & players know when deals are done but just waiting MLB's OK)

The way to fix the situation is to move the signing deadline up to July 15 from August 15

Offline daveb32

The way to fix the situation is to move the signing deadline up to July 15 from August 15

This.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Seeing as that much of the progress is already done before the final hours... I certainly agree with what Brian is saying.

Offline HalfSmokes

Finally, MLB does not want over-slot deals announced early so they influence other draft deals (mind you it's an absurd sentiment because agents & players know when deals are done but just waiting MLB's OK)

or for teams that don't have a real shot of say hosting an all star game or otherwise needing to be in the MLB's good graces to tell them to freak off. For a team that doesn't own it's own TV rights to do anything to make selig happy is a joke

Offline PANatsFan

or for teams that don't have a real shot of say hosting an all star game or otherwise needing to be in the MLB's good graces to tell them to freak off. For a team that doesn't own it's own TV rights to do anything to make selig happy is a joke

To be fair, this team has pissed of Selig many many times with draft signings. McGeary for instance, Robbie Ray, and so on.

Offline blue911

To be fair, this team has pissed of Selig many many times with draft signings. McGeary for instance, Robbie Ray, and so on.

The Dodgers were the last team to piss off Selig.

Offline PANatsFan

The Dodgers were the last team to piss off Selig.
The Lerners have the scratch to back up the big talk, and I think Annette still likes Teddy.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Didn't we land an all star game in a few years?

Offline hammondsnats

The Lerners have the scratch to back up the big talk, and I think Annette still likes Teddy.

but if you notice from my sig, MLB has not been happy with the lack of spending on the major league product.  they have done a solid job on the draft signings. 

but let's not act like we have saints running this team dude.

Offline PANatsFan

but if you notice from my sig, MLB has not been happy with the lack of spending on the major league product.  they have done a solid job on the draft signings. 

but let's not act like we have saints running this team dude.

Ok, but it's clear they do whatever the hell they want with the draft - Drayton McLane spent on the Astros and drafted at slot. Would you trade for that roster and system?

Offline hammondsnats

Ok, but it's clear they do whatever the hell they want with the draft - Drayton McLane spent on the Astros and drafted at slot. Would you trade for that roster and system?

i'm not worried about other teams and their systems.  i'm talking about ours.

it's possible for me to give the lerners compliments when they deserve it, but you can't knock them EVER!  :smh:

Offline PANatsFan

i'm not worried about other teams and their systems.  i'm talking about ours.

it's possible for me to give the lerners compliments when they deserve it, but you can't knock them EVER!  :smh:

The drafting has been above reproach. The FA signings have been very bad. This is a draft thread.