Author Topic: Nationals vs Braves, Game 1  (Read 18077 times)

Offline jhuterp

Re: Nationals vs Braves, Game 1
« Reply #525: July 20, 2012, 11:39:45 PM »
What a monumental collapse, easily the worst loss in Nationals history.  I expect a Braves sweep and the beginning of the end for 2012. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #526: July 20, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
GET RID OF EVERYONE AND SET THE PLACE ON FIRE.

OK, not really.  This was what a 'worst loss of the season' actually looks like.  The rain played a role in the poor pitching, but I think Clippard has lost his closer role - a playoff caliber closer would have closed out that game.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #527: July 20, 2012, 11:40:48 PM »
Well at least parking will be easier, concession lines shorter, and Metro will be less crowded from here on out!

Offline Sharp

« Reply #528: July 20, 2012, 11:42:07 PM »
He hasn't even pitched a full healthy season. How can he be "due for regression"?
He has a 2.35 ERA and a 3.86 SIERA this year.  His career ERA is 3.39 and SIERA is 3.71 so it's not like there's any reason at all to think he'll continue to beat his peripherals like that, except for being a Nats fan of course.  If you're really worried about the starters regressing, Strasburg should be the guy you're least concerned about.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #529: July 20, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »
Season

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #530: July 20, 2012, 11:47:03 PM »
I'm laughing at those of you who are wanting to give up on the season after one loss. Hopefully you are the ones who never post another post here at WNFF.

It's really embarrassing to read. Yes it is the worst loss of the season, but to say that we won't recover, and that the season is hopeless now is an absolute joke, and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

We're still in first place, with a 2.5 game lead. Even if we get swept this weekend, the season is not over. But you guys keep on thinking the season is over, and have fun rooting on the Skins :rofl:.

But then again I'm not really shocked that I'm reading all of this. Seriously it's one game and these guys are professionals. They will come ready to work tomorrow, and have shown that they respond all season long. Every single team goes through rough stretches. Hell the Braves lost what 8 in a row at one point? I'm just baffled at the things being posted here.

Oh well, see you guys tomorrow, and Go Nats.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #531: July 20, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »
:shrug: Whatever. We can still take the rest of the series.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #532: July 20, 2012, 11:49:30 PM »
He has a 2.35 ERA and a 3.86 SIERA this year.  His career ERA is 3.39 and SIERA is 3.71 so it's not like there's any reason at all to think he'll continue to beat his peripherals like that, except for being a Nats fan of course.  If you're really worried about the starters regressing, Strasburg should be the guy you're least concerned about.

I'm not concerned about any of them in particular, and I don't even agree with the post you were replying to. I just don't think J-Zimm has a track record in MLB to go off of. He has a partial rookie season, a return from Tommy John mini-season, and last year where he still probably wasn't 100%, at least early in the season.

I was surprised that his k/9 is actually lower this year than last year.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #533: July 20, 2012, 11:50:32 PM »
Yeah, this is easily the worst loss I've watched any Nats team have, but the season's far from over. Gotta move on and sweep the twin bill tomorrow.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #534: July 20, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »
Tomorrow is a water shed moment for the Washington Nationals. A double header against the team that is challenging you for the division lead after a complete meltdown is a time to circle the wagons and prove that you belong with the MLB's best. It is a moment to show that you are a serious contender and that the first 1/2 of the season wasn't a flash in the pan.

IMO: Tomorrow will be the most important single day in the history of these Washington Nationals.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #535: July 21, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »
Yeah, this is easily the worst loss I've watched any Nats team have, but the season's far from over. Gotta move on and sweep the twin bill tomorrow.

:clap: those calling the season are letting their emotions take the better of them. We have just faced the toughest team in our division. This is where we learn from this loss and move on. Move Clippard, look for a catcher, work on Storen. I would expect changes soon (I hope!)

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #536: July 21, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »
Ugh. Turned off the game at 9-4 at the end of the 7th, turn it back on and it's 9-8 in the 9th just in time to see Clip give up the triple. Tough loss, but it's a 162 game season. Hopefully, we can take two of the next three.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #537: July 21, 2012, 12:23:44 AM »
:clap: those calling the season are letting their emotions take the better of them. We have just faced the toughest team in our division. This is where we learn from this loss and move on. Move Clippard, look for a catcher, work on Storen. I would expect changes soon (I hope!)

The season is far from over, it's just the division that's lost.  We've got a 50-50 shot in the wild card and from there the playoffs are wide open.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #538: July 21, 2012, 12:31:06 AM »
At least the beer steins aren't a total loss

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #539: July 21, 2012, 12:44:45 AM »
At least the beer steins aren't a total loss

Were they any good, I saw a bunch of them but didn't look up close, the mantle in my trailer has an empty spot that I'm looking to fill.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #540: July 21, 2012, 12:49:41 AM »
Having to ridea shuttle bus for part of my trip on the red line to Shady Grove is AWFUL! Bleugh.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #541: July 21, 2012, 01:15:21 AM »
Just got home from the ballgame.   This is one of the most disheartening loses I've witnessed since 2005.    You can't sunshine this crap.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #542: July 21, 2012, 01:21:44 AM »
Were they any good, I saw a bunch of them but didn't look up close, the mantle in my trailer has an empty spot that I'm looking to fill.

Says on the bottom to not put them in a dishwasher.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #543: July 21, 2012, 03:03:49 AM »
Take care of business and hold serve this weekend, then get back Storen and Werth and pull away.

Offline MorseMythology

« Reply #544: July 21, 2012, 03:45:46 AM »
What's the excuse gonna be for Strasburg when he loses to the Mets next week? The mean Mets fans yelled things to him and hurt his feelings?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #545: July 21, 2012, 07:52:17 AM »
THIS DAY WITH THE '05 OVERACHIEVERS: Wednesday 20th July 2005 saw a one-run loss as well, but this time in regulation - to the Colorado Rockies at RFK, 3-2, to lose the series 2-1 - setting the style for future Nats struggles with that team that continue to this day...record now 54-41...http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250720120

---

Deplorable.

Simply deplorable.

---

Left the ballpark in the bottom of the sixth - watching the Nats let the Braves back into the match was bad enough, but risking catching a cold sealed the deal (TBSITH may have good sun cover but it's completely open to the rain) - got home in near-record time to resume the match just as the 8th was closing, letting Slowes and Jageler fill me in on the whole debacle thereafter.

---

Per Slowes this was indeed the worst collapse in combined Expos/Nats history, topping our eight-run el-foldo against the Cubs not too long ago.

---

Deplorable. Simply deplorable.

---

Will the Nats recover their character to come back and win today? It was great watching them pull out that Mets match earlier this week following Valdespin's go-ahead homer, but a flop like yesterday is difficult to get out of one's mind, and rhe Nats hace had character issues earlier in the season. We'd better get it back together fast though - Braves are still way too close for comfort, and I'm still nervously watching the calendar till the end of this month...if they get Dempster or Greinke, it's over.

---

Still too many Braves fans in the house...granted they aren't obstreperous like Phillies fans, but those lobotomised telly addicts who grew up on SuperStation TBS (chop chop, oh how cute, and how intellectually and morally superior they are to ordinary fans because their fandom transcends mere locality) could drain the atmosphere out of a mid-60's Beatles concert.

---

Offline mitlen

« Reply #546: July 21, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »
---

Deplorable.

Simply deplorable.

---
---

---
---

Still too many Braves fans in the house...granted they aren't obstreperous like Phillies fans, but those lobotomised telly addicts who grew up on SuperStation TBS (chop chop, oh how cute, and how intellectually and morally superior they are to ordinary fans because their fandom transcends mere locality) could drain the atmosphere out of a mid-60's Beatles concert.
---

+1   

Ran into a group doin' the Jane Fonda chop and they're a pain in the ass.    That's worse than being a Phillie fan.   :)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #547: July 21, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »
+1   

Ran into a group doin' the Jane Fonda chop and they're a pain in the ass.    That's worse than being a Phillie fan.   :)

I'd almost rather have Phillies supporters sitting nearby (tbe ones we get in the sections near TBSITH really haven't been that bad) than Ted 'n' Jane's army of militant couch potatoes.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #548: July 21, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
Anyone who says "worst loss of the season" for any game going forward should be perma-banned.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #549: July 21, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »

I'd almost rather have Phillies supporters sitting nearby (tbe ones we get in the sections near TBSITH really haven't been that bad) than Ted 'n' Jane's army of militant couch potatoes.

It's a constant drone like a termite colony.