Author Topic: Schilling Done? Fans Rejoice, Writers Lament  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Schilling Done? Fans Rejoice, Writers Lament
« Topic Start: June 20, 2008, 12:52:49 PM »
So long fat-mouth.  Your arrogance disguised as candid opinion won't be missed (unless you happen to be a sportswriter):

06/20/2008 11:40 AM ET
Schilling to have shoulder surgery
Red Sox right-hander will miss season; career in doubt, too
By Ian Browne / MLB.com 

BOSTON -- Red Sox right-hander Curt Schilling announced in a radio interview on Friday morning that he will have shoulder surgery on Monday, and thus, won't have a 2008 season.
In fact, the 216-game winner -- who helped the Diamondbacks win the World Series in 2001 before playing a key role in title runs by the Red Sox in 2004 and 2007 -- might very well never throw another pitch.

"There's a pretty decent chance that I've thrown my last pitch, forever," Schilling told WEEI-850 AM in Boston. "I'm going in to make it not hurt anymore, which is pretty much all I care about."

However, Schilling did leave open the possibility of pitching again in 2009 or beyond if he can make a strong-enough recovery after surgery. He can be a free agent after this season.

"I don't want it to end this way, but if this is the way it has to end, I'm OK with that," said Schilling.

Red Sox spokesman John Blake confirmed that Schilling will have surgery, and added that manager Terry Francona and general manager Theo Epstein will address the matter with the media in the hours leading up to Friday's game with the Cardinals.

Schilling first experienced pain in his right shoulder and biceps area over the offseason, when he was trying to start his normal throwing program. The injury was revealed about a week before Spring Training and Schilling had spent months trying to rehab the injury.

He seemed to be making progress over the past few weeks, throwing his first side session on June 3. He was able to throw from the bullpen three more times after that, culminating with a disappointing session on June 13 in which Schilling started to get an idea that he had experienced a setback.

The Red Sox and Schilling mulled over the situation for a few days before deciding the next step. Schilling visited with his personal physician -- Dr. Craig Morgan of Delaware -- when the Red Sox were in Philadelphia earlier this week. He then was examined by Red Sox medical director Thomas Gill on Wednesday before deciding on surgery. Morgan will perform the surgery. According to Schilling, Gill has asked to sit in.

If Schilling never pitches again, his last start will wind up being Game 2 of the 2007 World Series, when he led the Red Sox to a 2-1 victory over the Rockies.

Considering that Schilling has three World Series rings and is considered one of the finest pitchers of this era, why doesn't he just retire instead of going through the rigors of a potentially intense rehab from surgery?

"I've still got some fire," Schilling told talk-show hosts John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "It's one of those things where, take it for the way it's intended, I don't want it to end this way, but if this is the way it has to end, I'm OK with that. If it's over and my last pitch was in the 2007 World Series, honestly, I'm OK with that. I just can't stress enough where I am mentally with this. I have not a regret in the world. None of this makes me bitter or angry or [mad]. It is what it is. In that sense, honestly, it's very, very easy for me because of what I've been able to experience, compared to what I wanted when I first started my career. If I have some say in how this is going to end, I want it to be different than it is right now."

A couple of weeks after the World Series parade, Schilling re-signed with the Red Sox for one year at a base salary of $8 million. At the time, he passed a physical conducted by the team.

But by early January, Schilling knew that something was very wrong physically.

There was a dispute between Schilling and the Red Sox at that time. Schilling and Morgan felt he should have surgery before Spring Training with the hope of returning to the mound by the All-Star break. However, the Red Sox felt that surgery would eliminate any chance Schilling would have of pitching in 2008. The sides got a third opinion -- Mets physician Dr. David Altchek -- to settle the dispute.

Altchek sided with the Red Sox, and the pitcher began a vigorous rehab program shortly thereafter.

Though the rehab ultimately didn't allow Schilling to make a comeback this season, he expressed no ill will toward the Red Sox.

"[Through] the rehab, I got strong," said Schilling. "Everybody involved is very pleased and in some cases, in Dr. Morgan's case, he's ecstatic with the amount of strength that I have in my shoulder. I remember making the comment a couple of months ago, talking about it with people, my fear was that I'd get strong and be able to do all this awesome strength stuff, but at the end of the day, wouldn't be able to pitch. That's kind of what happened.

"Functionally, my shoulder is incredibly strong. From a rehabilitation standpoint, if there isn't career-ending damage, you know, I'm in an incredibly good position to have surgery. I can't throw a pitch. When you're a pitcher, that's a problem."

Aside from the biceps tenodesis that he will undergo, Schilling is also prepared to have more expansive work done on his shoulder when he undergoes his operation on Monday.

Could there be some rotator cuff or labrum repairs?

"Yes and maybe," Schilling said. "Until he goes in there and gets done, anything is speculation other than the tenodesis."

Schilling indicated that things would have to go just about perfectly for him to have a chance to pitch again.

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do a case study," said Schilling. "I'm 41, I've got over 3,000 innings under my belt and there was a period of time where those innings were stacked on top of each other for a lot of years. I know, when you read an MRI and it shows things, generally it shows the bare minimum. When you get opened up, you add a lot to the mix. I've got some issues beyond the biceps that I'm sure will be fixed, and I'm pretty comfortable will be fixed, but I'm very ready for other stuff to be wrong."

If Schilling pitches in 2009, he pretty much guaranteed it won't be for the entire season.

"Under no circumstance would I do anything to pitch next season as a whole," said Schilling. "In a perfect world, if there was minimal to negligible damage once it was opened up and I got fixed, coming back next year would be something I would look at as an option depending on the time and effort involved. But it wouldn't be a full season. I would come back and set it up, maybe to pitch the second half of the season. And again, that is going to be a potential [possibility] only if getting literally completely healthy is an option."

Schilling joined the Red Sox in 2004, vowing to help the club end an 86-year championship drought. He did just that, becoming a legend during that postseason by pitching with his right ankle tendon sutured into place. With the now famous "bloody sock," Schilling won Game 6 of the American League Championship Series against the Yankees and Game 2 of the World Series against the Cardinals.

Lifetime in the postseason, Schilling is 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA in 19 starts. Though he has put down roots in Boston, and even runs a business in a nearby suburb, Schilling is open to pitching wherever if he is able to make a comeback.

"Putting myself out there next All-Star break as healthy, and auditioning for whoever is in contention and pitching the final three months of the season kind of in a David Cone hired gun kind of thing, I wouldn't care where it was or what it was," Schilling said. "From a personal standpoint, my family is OK with that."

And if this is the end, Schilling also emphasized that he's OK with that as well.

"I've been blessed a billion times over and I've been given far more than I ever could have imagined," Schilling said. "To be able to spend the last couple of years as a member of this franchise and in front of these fans is a gift I'll never be able to repay, so this is not a funeral. It's not a bad thing. I've been given a billion times more than I ever dreamed I could get. To be able to finish it here, if that's what happens, is OK. I have nothing but appreciation and love and gratitude for the people that root for this team, and teammates of mine, so it's not a bad thing."

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
So long fat-mouth.  Your arrogance disguised as candid opinion won't be missed (unless you happen to be a sportswriter):

He left his options open to be paid next year to not play again. Put some more marker on your sock.

Offline DPMOmaha

Wow, people really hate this guy.  I've always thought he was a decent dude and at a time when not a lot of people were willing to go to one extreme or the other, he never shies away from that, I've always though that was admirable, even if I don't always agree with him. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Wow, people really hate this guy.  I've always thought he was a decent dude and at a time when not a lot of people were willing to go to one extreme or the other, he never shies away from that, I've always though that was admirable, even if I don't always agree with him. 
I feel exactly the same way.  I never had a problem with Schilling.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
For some reason, people loathe or feel threatened by people they perceive as arrogant. I don't understand the reasoning behind it but that seems to be the case.

Offline blue911

For some reason, people loathe or feel threatened by people they perceive as arrogant. I don't understand the reasoning behind it but that seems to be the case.

Dumb people are nice

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Dumb people are nice

Maybe true, but that doesn't explain Schilling.

Schilling was a big proponent of cleaning up the game and bragged that he'd tell anyone who asked what he knows.  Then he went in front of Congress and clammed up.  All talk, no action - that's Curt Schilling.

Offline spidernat

Schilling was a big proponent of cleaning up the game and bragged that he'd tell anyone who asked what he knows.  Then he went in front of Congress and clammed up.  All talk, no action - that's Curt Schilling.

That's an excellent point. I did lose whatever little respect I had for him when that went down.

Dumb people are nice

I had never thought of it that way but :rofl:  Although I have met some very dumb people who weren't nice.

Offline blue911

I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't a coward. Only that he was smart. Rush Limbaugh is a lying piece of crap yet people fall all over themselves to support his agenda.

SoxNationVA

People hate him because he doesn't pitch for their team. If he pitches for your team you love the guy. In the clubhouse in the community this guy is THE BEST! Silly statements like ketsup or marker on his sock are just that and its spoken more out of envy than anything cranial.

He's a proven winner and a warrior. Whats he got now.....3 WS Rings?

Here's the link to the radio interview he did:
http://audio.weei.com/m/20223221/curt_schilling.htm?pageid=966

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

If you're good, people will figure it out without you rubbing their noses in it.  Arrogance is patronizing, and condescending to the unfortunate recipient.  What's there to like?

Offline spidernat

Maybe the story about Schilling being out for the season isn't true. I've only heard it on ESPN and according to moron red sox fans nothing bad can happen to the red sox. 

Offline spidernat

If you're good, people will figure it out without you rubbing their noses in it.  Arrogance is patronizing, and condescending to the unfortunate recipient.  What's there to like?

Rubbing their noses in it is mostly a perception. If you're good and you know it I don't see anything wrong with stating it. I find that better than the false humility players spit out in interviews after great performances. If you're not good and you think you are then you become laughable. I have no issue with arrogant people. They don't matter to me one way or the other.

Offline ronnynat

I liked Schilling's pitching skills. I couldn't care less about anything else. He'll be in the HOF in no time.

Offline spidernat

I liked Schilling's pitching skills. I couldn't care less about anything else. He'll be in the HOF in no time.

All I heard on the topic was that he won't get in because he lacks the numbers. Peter Gammons said he would vote for him (what a surprise) but he doesn't believe many more will vote for him because he only amassed 216 wins. His postseason resume is good but that may not be enough to get him in anytime soon.

Offline ronnynat

All I heard on the topic was that he won't get in because he lacks the numbers. Peter Gammons said he would vote for him (what a surprise) but he doesn't believe many more will vote for him because he only amassed 216 wins. His postseason resume is good but that may not be enough to get him in anytime soon.

I think his postseason success easily makes up for the regular season numbers.

His playoff/World Series numbers: 10-2, 2.23 ERA in 19 games.

I actually think he'll be a first ballot selection.

Offline blue911

I think his postseason success easily makes up for the regular season numbers.

His playoff/World Series numbers: 10-2, 2.23 ERA in 19 games.

I actually think he'll be a first ballot selection.

Ahead of Bert Blyleven?

Offline ronnynat

Ahead of Bert Blyleven?

Blyleven should get in before Schilling's even eligible.

Offline blue911

I remember Blyleven as being this great pitcher. He threw these hard curves that just were incredible. No they weren't the Palmer 12-6 they were more like 1-7 or 2-8 or something on the quarter or half hour. He mixed speed and breaks like nobody I have ever seen before or after. Shame he isn't already in the hall.

Offline ronnynat

I remember Blyleven as being this great pitcher. He threw these hard curves that just were incredible. No they weren't the Palmer 12-6 they were more like 1-7 or 2-8 or something on the quarter or half hour. He mixed speed and breaks like nobody I have ever seen before or after. Shame he isn't already in the hall.

It's hard to believe that he only made two AS games. His career 1.20 WHIP is pretty great.

Offline blue911

It's hard to believe that he only made two AS games. His career 1.20 WHIP is pretty incredible.

He really was a great pitcher. I wonder how he would compare to Nolan "Bad Team" Ryan.

SoxNationVA

I don't think arrogant is the right label for Schill. He is who he is and he doesn't care what anybody else says about him. If thats arrogant....I'm guilty too, but I don't care....LOL!

Offline spidernat

Blyleven had 12 seasons when he threw over 240 innings. In 1973, at 22 years of age, he won 20 games, 25 complete games, 9 shutouts, sported an ERA of 2.5, flexed a K/BB ratio of 4/1 and tossed 325 innings :shock:

Offline blue911

My point is that Blyleven stacked up with the best pitchers of his era. Yet isn't in the HOF. How can anybody vote in Schilling before the Flying Dutchman?

Offline ronnynat

My point is that Blyleven stacked up with the best pitchers of his era. Yet isn't in the HOF. How can anybody vote in Schilling before the Flying Dutchman?

Andre Dawson is the only other guy that I think should get in asap.