Author Topic: Nats Interested in Willie Randolph  (Read 2188 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Nats Interested in Willie Randolph
« Reply #25: October 17, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
He was pretty good as the 3rd base coach for the Yanks wasn't he.  Ya know, about as good as a 3rd base coach can be.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #26: October 17, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »
nah me and spider are cool. 

but honest question, if we were to get willie randolph would you want him as our third base coach or bench coach?

Spider and I are cool also - which is why he calls me a moron

As for a bench coach - I want one with the keen eye of Corrales that will come up with slick defensive alignments and stays away from the "no doubles" crap (the baseball equivalent of the worthless prevent) - if Willie does that - sign him up

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #27: November 08, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3689927

The Milwaukee Brewers hired former New York Mets manager Willie Randolph as bench coach on Saturday.

The 54-year Randolph was fired as the Mets manager on June 17. His career record was 302-253 and he led New York to the playoffs in 2006. His .544 winning percentage ranks second to Davey Johnson (.588) in Mets history.

"We are very pleased to add Willie to the organization as he brings recent National League expertise and success to our coaching staff," general manager Doug Melvin said. "His reputation as a player is a quality that will be valuable in his teaching and coaching of our talented young team. Willie is a professional both on and off the field."

Ken Macha was hired Oct. 30 as the manager, taking over from Dale Sveum following the team's first postseason appearance since 1982.

In addition to his managerial experience, Randolph spent 11 seasons on the coaching staff of the New York Yankees as third base coach (1994-2003) and bench coach (2004). He was a part of four World Series championship teams with the Yankees.

The six-time All-Star second baseman had an 18-year playing career spent primarily with the Yankees (1976-88). He also played for Pittsburgh (1975), Los Angeles (1989-90), Oakland (1990), Milwaukee (1991) and the Mets (1992).

Guess we weren't good enough for Willie.  :?

« Reply #28: November 08, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
An Acta/Randolph combo would of been probably too passive. When their powers combine they become "Frank Robinson napping at the wheel."

I'm neither convinced of Randolph's greatness or sucktitude. He was manager of one of the most overrated clubs in the MLB. Hard to determine who sucked more, him or the players.