Author Topic: World Cup/Soccer Thread (2009/2010/2011)  (Read 39503 times)

Offline Dave B

Re: World Cup/Soccer Thread (2009/2010)
« Reply #675: July 09, 2010, 12:59:22 PM »
You can usually get good $20 tickets through Screaming Eagles for Section 139...but that's pretty close to the flying beer and smoke bomb zone.  If you can make it to that LA Galaxy game, it should be a good one.  The Seattle match next Thursday should be pretty good as well...it will be broadcast nationally on ESPN.   

thats prob the way to go, i'm sure you could buy tickets in 139 and sit elsewhere

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #676: July 10, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
This is an awesome game.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #677: July 11, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
Dutch Dutch Dutch Dutch Dutch

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #678: July 11, 2010, 05:18:20 PM »
That game was awesome.

Ok I will admit. Soccer is cool. I am a fan.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #679: July 11, 2010, 05:20:49 PM »
That game was awesome.

Awesome? Eh, it was rough but it was somewhat exciting. Iniesta's goal was pretty cool I must say. I wanted the dutch. Van Persie is a favorite of mine. I can't wait for the Champions League to come around.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #680: July 11, 2010, 05:21:25 PM »
That game was awesome.

See, you can like a sport you didn't like. But yet, do you give hockey a chance? If you think a 0-0 game for 120 minutes was awesome, I'd be interested to see what you think about some of the greatest 1-0 or 0-0 hockey games that have the hitting, goaltending, and chances a soccer game can't get.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #681: July 11, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »
I can't believe all the nagging about what an ugly game it was. I may not be a soccer connoisseur but I thought the game was quite entertaining.

Spain has a lot of skill but their style reminds me of the late 1090's early 2000's Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the way they defend and wear down their opponent to win it towards the end of the game.

I thoroughly enjoyed the tournament. I watched nearly 50 games.   :shock:   :-[  I won't lie and say I'll watch the European leagues or MLS but I'll be looking forward to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. It may be four years away but is there any question who is going to win that one?  :?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #682: July 11, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »
I can't believe all the nagging about what an ugly game it was. I may not be a soccer connoisseur but I thought the game was quite entertaining.

I thoroughly enjoyed the tournament. I watched nearly 50 games.   :shock:   :-[  I won't lie and say I'll watch the European leagues or MLS but I'll be looking forward to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. It may be four years away but is there any question who is going to win that one?  :?

People thought it was boring. It wasn't. I would say it was exciting, like I said earlier, but nothing near excellent. I watched maybe close to 50 games as well. At least 2 every day since it started. (I was able to watch games during work :D ).

As cool as supporting your own country is, I think the Champions League is better IMO. The talent is all matched/stacked. The World Cup victor is definitely better though.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #683: July 11, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
See, you can like a sport you didn't like. But yet, do you give hockey a chance? If you think a 0-0 game for 120 minutes was awesome, I'd be interested to see what you think about some of the greatest 1-0 or 0-0 hockey games that have the hitting, goaltending, and chances a soccer game can't get.

NHL playoff games are unbelievable but let's face it, the stakes of the World Cup elevate their games to another level.

In exactly 4 weeks the NFL preseason begins with the HOF game. It won't be long before the NFL takes its rightful place as the King of the American landscape and all other sports take a back seat.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #684: July 11, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
In exactly 4 weeks the NFL preseason begins with the HOF game. It won't be long before the NFL takes its rightful place as the King of the American landscape and all other sports take a back seat.

This pretty much.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #685: July 11, 2010, 05:54:14 PM »

NHL playoff games are unbelievable but let's face it, the stakes of the World Cup elevate their games to another level.

I compared it earlier to a Stanley Cup Finals game, Game 7 this year was amazing as was 2009's. The Olympic Gold game was epic as well, especially considering the stakes.

But yes, the NFL will dominate soon.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #686: July 11, 2010, 06:05:02 PM »
I compared it earlier to a Stanley Cup Finals game, Game 7 this year was amazing as was 2009's. The Olympic Gold game was epic as well, especially considering the stakes.

But yes, the NFL will dominate soon.

IMO it's not that hockey is less exciting than soccer (Hockey is way more exciting), its that this was an every 4 year event that every country gets to celebrate and compete. Stanley Cups game happen every year. I think the majority of America/everywhere else thought this was special therefore payed attention. Soccer is also like a "new language" to many Americans. I mean I may be preaching to the choir so I dunno :shrug:. The Champions League is the worlds most watched event, annually.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #687: July 11, 2010, 06:40:22 PM »
I need someone to explain all the different leagues particularly the ones on this side of the planet. CONCACAF, champions league, cups  and stuff. I need to know what all this stuff means and how it works.

And yeah I know that nobody really cares about american soccer and everyone puts all ttheir focus on england. But honestly I don't think I could bring myself to give a crap about english leagues and teams. I just don't relate. I need some sort of local tie.

So if I am a soccer fan, it'll have to center on american soccer in whatever form it takes, be it mls or a champions league or whatever.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #688: July 11, 2010, 06:47:22 PM »
I need someone to explain all the different leagues particularly the ones on this side of the planet. CONCACAF, champions league, cups  and stuff. I need to know what all this stuff means and how it works.

And yeah I know that nobody really cares about american soccer and everyone puts all ttheir focus on england. But honestly I don't think I could bring myself to give a crap about english leagues and teams. I just don't relate. I need some sort of local tie.

So if I am a soccer fan, it'll have to center on american soccer in whatever form it takes, be it mls or a champions league or whatever.

The Champions League is a playoff which pits the best European teams against each other. The seeding is going to take place this August. The games don't really start until next year though. It's a really long process. Usually its the top 4 in the English Premier League. Then a few teams from the Spain league. Then a team or two from Germany, Italy, France, etc etc. Then it plays out like the World Cup but with much more stacked teams. Those games I find exciting.

I don't know much about South American teams. I also don't really pay attention to MLS but I do keep an eye on it every now and then. European leagues are just more entertaining because of all the talent.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #689: July 11, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
With all these different cups and leagues going on.....when do these guys rest? Damn...

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #690: July 11, 2010, 07:03:17 PM »
With all these different cups and leagues going on.....when do these guys rest? Damn...

Yeah haha. The Champions League, though, isn't as frequent like the world cup, the set up is just similar. It may take a month to get out of one round. Like Internazional (a team from Italy with Wesley Sneijder) won the recent Champions League vs Bayern Munich (basically a bunch of players from the Germany team) and they played at the end of May. The Groups played a span of two months before that.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #691: July 11, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »
I need someone to explain all the different leagues particularly the ones on this side of the planet. CONCACAF, champions league, cups  and stuff. I need to know what all this stuff means and how it works.

Yea I can't get into any of the European leagues, if I were to get into soccer I'd rather go to the MLS.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #692: July 11, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »
Horrible world cup final.  I had no idea the The Diving Bell and The Butterfly was also the name of the "beautiful" game.  The flopping/diving/crying fairies beat the kung fu kicking thug buttweasles.  A bunch of "athletes" spent the entire freaking game trying to con the ref, begging for offsides calls instead of playing to the whistle, lobbying for cards at every conceivable moment, and generally being the useless pieces of filth they are.

I would like to thank them for ensuring that better sports will continue to hold soccer off in the US for the foreseeable future.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #693: July 11, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »
I need someone to explain all the different leagues particularly the ones on this side of the planet. CONCACAF, champions league, cups  and stuff. I need to know what all this stuff means and how it works.

i try to watch the english premier league. it starts in like a month, as do probably the rest of the euro leagues.  espn showed the premier league last year, but really early in the morning though, especially in the fall, because football needs like 4 hours of pregame. other than that, it shows up on fox soccer channel at more reasonable hours (10am to 1pm starts_. i like the espn version because it shows up in HD. there is a fox soccer plus in HD, but that might be another package i need to buy.

i like the english league because i think the broadcasts are better. they have the english announcers like the world cup (not sure if it is the same guys). i also think the crowds come across better on tv. some of the old english stadiums have the stands go almost to ground level right near the sidelines.

i try to watch the americans: altidore, dempsey, donovan (after mls season). they finished in the bottom 3 and got demoted to the lower league (that is another great thing, getting your team sent to AAA, there is no garbage time in the season).

my only gripe with the euro leagues is they dont have playoffs. but they do have those champions league things though. but my only (other) gripe with those is they are mixed in with the regular seasons and the games are infrequent. if this was in the US it would go something like regular season then playoffs then champions league

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #694: July 11, 2010, 09:57:05 PM »

my only gripe with the euro leagues is they dont have playoffs. but they do have those champions league things though. but my only (other) gripe with those is they are mixed in with the regular seasons and the games are infrequent. if this was in the US it would go something like regular season then playoffs then champions league

I agree. I love the English Premier League. I agree it sucks that they don't have a playoffs but the Champions League definitely makes up for it.

The announcers that I know of are Andy Gray and Martin Tyler. Martin Tyler was the one doing most of the World Cup games.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #695: July 11, 2010, 10:50:43 PM »
So your leg-humping twatness is certainly intact after your daycation...

Horrible world cup final.  I had no idea the The Diving Bell and The Butterfly was also the name of the "beautiful" game.  The flopping/diving/crying fairies beat the kung fu kicking thug buttweasles.  A bunch of "athletes" spent the entire freaking game trying to con the ref, begging for offsides calls instead of playing to the whistle, lobbying for cards at every conceivable moment, and generally being the useless pieces of filth they are.

I would like to thank them for ensuring that better sports will continue to hold soccer off in the US for the foreseeable future.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #696: July 12, 2010, 07:28:55 AM »

a 1-0 double overtime tends to have that effect. It was every stereotype, flopping, no scoring, announcers talking about beauty

Offline blue911

« Reply #697: July 12, 2010, 08:47:45 AM »
a 1-0 double overtime tends to have that effect. It was every stereotype, flopping, no scoring, announcers talking about beauty

Nothing could be as bad as the vuvuzelas. I can't imagine anything taking away for an event more than that racket.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #698: July 12, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
Nothing could be as bad as the vuvuzelas. I can't imagine anything taking away for an event more than that racket.
I'd love to see a big college amercan football team like Florida adopt vuvuzelas. Beats the heck out of the FSU tomahawk chop.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #699: July 12, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
So can you watch soccer online anywhere?