Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2008-2011)  (Read 146005 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #50: November 18, 2008, 11:50:34 PM »
Other bands that have had hits:

The Heights (cancelled TV show, fictional band had a big radio hit)
The Archies (Supposedly Archie and Jughead's band -not kidding)
Winger
The Spice Girls

People like bad music

but I said they were the worst IN MY OPINION - your opinion is just that - argue all you want, you won't convince me
To say they are a one-hit wonder is insane and quite frankly stupid. They have released several money albums packed full of great songs. A one-hit wonder is someone like Harvey Danger, Semisonic, Verve Pipe, etc.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #51: November 18, 2008, 11:53:15 PM »
To say they are a one-hit wonder is insane and quite frankly stupid. They have released several money albums packed full of great songs. A one-hit wonder is someone like Harvey Danger, Semisonic, Verve Pipe, etc.

I did not say they were a one hit wonder - I said I find them sucky

Selling records is no proof of worth

How many hit songs has Britney Spears been involved with

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #52: November 19, 2008, 12:10:27 AM »
I despise Nickelback too. :hang: Can't stand their vocals.  That dude just needs to pass a deuce already.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #53: November 19, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »
I despise Nickelback too. :hang: Can't stand their vocals.  That dude just needs to pass a deuce already.

I also really really hate that guys haircut - and their lyrics on their last big hit were just inane

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #54: November 19, 2008, 12:52:37 AM »
I've been listing to a lot of John Butler Trio's stuff recently. I haven't heard a bad song by them yet.

This is an older video from when they were on Letterman:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #55: November 19, 2008, 01:01:24 AM »
I did not say they were a one hit wonder - I said I find them sucky

Selling records is no proof of worth

How many hit songs has Britney Spears been involved with
I never said selling records is proof of worth. It's just rare to find many bands now a-days that can consistently come up with good and original crap.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #56: November 19, 2008, 01:07:47 AM »
Tonight it's Big Bill Morganfield and The Weavers....how's that for a combination? Next up...Dave Askren's Trio Nuevo +.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #57: November 19, 2008, 07:36:20 AM »
Tangerine Dream.  A former rock group similiar to the band Yes, that changed to new age in the 90's.  Not your environmental sound new age, but high energy melodies.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #58: November 19, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »
I never said selling records is proof of worth. It's just rare to find many bands now a-days that can consistently come up with good and original crap.

:rofl: sportsfan, the master of arguing with what you DIDN'T say until the cows come home.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #59: November 19, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »

Wow, I actually think the opposite of most music that sells; tends to be generic and interchangeable

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #60: November 19, 2008, 10:08:55 AM »
:rofl: sportsfan, the master of arguing with what you DIDN'T say until the cows come home.
Worst band in the history of roadrunner records? Yeah, ok. They continuously pump out hit after hit.

I don't even need to continue the argument - sportsfan is arguing both sides

« Reply #61: November 19, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »
The only Nickelback album worth owning in my opinion is "The State." There are a bunch of good songs on that album. But pretty much every album after that is Top 40-rock-garbage that caters to the posers and meatheads who think listening to Nickelback is "rock and roll" or "metal."

It's like cheerleaders and preppies going to Ozzfest because they think it's so "counterculture" and they are living dangerously.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #62: November 19, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
The only Nickelback album worth owning in my opinion is "The State." There are a bunch of good songs on that album. But pretty much every album after that is Top 40-rock-garbage that caters to the posers and meatheads who think listening to Nickelback is "rock and roll" or "metal."

I've never heard Nickleback, but yesterday was listening on NPR to a review of the new "American Idol" produced CD (can't remember the guy's name, but no matter).  In the end, the reviewer said that the music was just shallow, generic music without substance, written to appeal to bland tastes, and cited Nickleback as a comparable.  I took that to mean the reviewer did not think highly of Nickleback.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #63: November 19, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »

It's like cheerleaders and preppies going to Ozzfest because they think it's so "counterculture" and they are living dangerously.
I don't consider Nickelback "metal". I listen to Nickelback because I like the music, not because it's "cool".

Sounds like most on here don't like any music unless it's underground and obscure. They hate any mainstream music just because it's the "cool thing to do".

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #64: November 19, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »
I don't consider Nickelback "metal". I listen to Nickelback because I like the music, not because it's "cool".

Sounds like most on here don't like any music unless it's underground and obscure. They hate any mainstream music just because it's the "cool thing to do".

I like good music. I tend to stick with the 90's for mainstream music, but that's because of my age. Seems people's music tastes get locked in between their teens and early 20's.

Examples of "Mainstream" music I like (not counting bands that I liked for years that suddenly got popular):
Neil Young
Talking Heads
old Metallica
The Ramones
Foo Fighters
Soundgarden
Iron Maiden
Fugazi (at least in DC)

Bands that acheived mild success like Ruth Ruth and Rocket From the Crypt

Bands that got famous after I liked them like Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Coheed and Cambria and AFI

Bands that sucked after they got famous like Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold

I also like metal that will melt your face, weird old punk rock like Television, early-mid 90's emo (not eyeliner and tight jeans garbage, stuff like Pedro the Lion and Jets to Brazil), stoner rock, some surf music

In other words, I keep my mind open and explore music on my own, instead of listening to what Clear Channel got payola to force me to listen to  (best thing Eliot Spitzer ever did was busting record label payola)

You won't win this argument, because taste is taste - it differs - some people prefer Mondrian to Rembrandt, others like Nascar collectors plates - it makes the world a better place

Besides, when you are losing an argument, calling the other people elitists as a hail mary is a tried and true talk radio blowhard trick

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #65: November 19, 2008, 12:02:59 PM »
I like good music. I tend to stick with the 90's for mainstream music, but that's because of my age. Seems people's music tastes get locked in between their teens and early 20's.

Examples of "Mainstream" music I like (not counting bands that I liked for years that suddenly got popular):
Neil Young
Talking Heads
old Metallica
The Ramones
Foo Fighters
Soundgarden
Iron Maiden
Fugazi (at least in DC)

Bands that acheived mild success like Ruth Ruth and Rocket From the Crypt

Bands that got famous after I liked them like Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Coheed and Cambria and AFI

Bands that sucked after they got famous like Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold

I also like metal that will melt your face, weird old punk rock like Television, early-mid 90's emo (not eyeliner and tight jeans garbage, stuff like Pedro the Lion and Jets to Brazil), stoner rock, some surf music

In other words, I keep my mind open and explore music on my own, instead of listening to what Clear Channel got payola to force me to listen to  (best thing Eliot Spitzer ever did was busting record label payola)

You won't win this argument, because taste is taste - it differs - some people prefer Mondrian to Rembrandt, others like Nascar collectors plates - it makes the world a better place

Foo Fighters are awesome and one of my all-time favorites. AFI was ok. Mighty Mighty Bosstones had a few good ones.

I like Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold.

I'm not trying to win any argument. It's cool but it just doesn't make sense why some people just dislike music because it is mainstream and liked by others.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #66: November 19, 2008, 12:06:46 PM »
Foo Fighters are awesome and one of my all-time favorites. AFI was ok. Mighty Mighty Bosstones had a few good ones.

I like Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold.

I'm not trying to win any argument. It's cool but it just doesn't make sense why some people just dislike music because it is mainstream and liked by others.

The first Avenged Sevenfold is a total classic -brilliant. Once he blew his vocal chords and started signing - well, they suck now. Same thing happened to Cave In. Piebald came out with a few classic albums when they made the singing switcheroo.

That "Rock Star" song by Nickelback is just the stupidest. The words are inane and were calculated to sell. I absolutely hate that.

Just because I have a lot of knowledge about underground music doesn't mean I have to love Lifehouse to prove I'm not a snob.

My original statement about the worst band on Roadrunner stands. Roadrunner has had Shelter, Motorhead, Killswitch Engage, King Diamond (I believe)  - Nickelback couldn't be roadies for anyone of those guys.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #67: November 19, 2008, 12:13:52 PM »
That's cool. I listen to mainstream and other less known stuff too.

You don't sound like you are in this group but believe me there are many out there that despise anything mainstream simply because it's mainstream and other people like it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #68: November 19, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »
That's cool. I listen to mainstream and other less known stuff too.

You don't sound like you are in this group but believe me there are many out there that despise anything mainstream simply because it's mainstream and other people like it.

Sounds either like high school, or a desperate attempt to defend Nickelback :lol:

I listen to unreleased demos - self-released vinyl - bands that aren't even distributed in the US - but I don't need to brag about that to look cool - I just posted in this thread because I hate that "Rock Star" song, and I make fun of people with the "Nickelback" haircut

« Reply #69: November 19, 2008, 12:17:47 PM »

Thats my point, they aren't metal. I'm not saying it's you, but plenty of people listen to them because they  are  the only "rock" marketed toward them and the Top 40s crowd.

I like plenty of bands considered "mainstream." I'm the biggest TOOL fan in the world. There isn't a singer or lyricist out there that can even begin to compare to James Maynard Keenan.

I find my "era of music" was the 90s Grunge scene which has long since passed. I find myself going back to classic favorites such as Hendrix, The Doors, and Black Sabbath more often than not.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #70: November 19, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »

I find my "era of music" was the 90s Grunge scene which has long since passed.

See that's because we're roughly the same age - my theory holds 2/2 :) I love a lot of almost-made-it's from that era like the Afghan Whigs, Prong, Therapy? - anything they played on the original 98 Rock before it became awful and started playing Counting Crows

« Reply #71: November 19, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »
See that's because we're roughly the same age - my theory holds 2/2 :) I love a lot of almost-made-it's from that era like the Afghan Whigs, Prong, Therapy? - anything they played on the original 98 Rock before it became awful and started playing Counting Crows

I abused my Alice in Chains CD until it broke!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #72: November 19, 2008, 12:22:33 PM »
I like a lot of the Late 90s rock too. Those were the days.

But I equally enjoy modern alternative rock.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #73: November 19, 2008, 12:23:25 PM »
I abused my Alice in Chains CD until it broke!

What, the self-titled one? I used to love that one when I was a wee lad- but now I think the old stuff is better

Another amazing band is Monster Magnet - although they sounded different after they hit big, their whole catalog is pretty amazing

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #74: November 19, 2008, 12:24:19 PM »
I like a lot of the Late 90s rock too. Those were the days.

But I equally enjoy modern alternative rock.

You are lucky - when we were younger, we had Vanilla Ice and Poison instead of Nirvana and Soundgarden  :lol: