Author Topic: From the "ummm...really?" file.  (Read 816 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

From the "ummm...really?" file.
« Topic Start: February 08, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »
You know those guys who are legends in one place but turn into total dunderheads when they move on to bigger and better things, I think Bud Selig is one of those guys.

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Brewers are erecting a statue of baseball commissioner Bud Selig outside Miller Park and will unveil it on Aug. 24.

Selig headed a group that bought the Seattle Pilots in bankruptcy court in 1970, moved the franchise to Milwaukee and renamed it the Brewers. He became acting commissioner in 1992 and took the job full-time six years later, turning control of the team over to his daughter, Wendy Selig-Prieb. The Selig family sold the team to a group headed by Mark Attanasio in 2005.

"The Brewers and Miller Park are in this city because of the commissioner's vision and dedicated efforts," Attanasio said Monday.

Selig's foundation donated statues of Hank Aaron and Robin Yount that were unveiled when Miller Park opened in 2001. Selig's statue, which will be more than 7 feet tall, will be built by the same designer, Brian Maughan.

Offline NatsDad14

Re: From the "ummm...really?" file.
« Reply #1: February 08, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »
So does this mean no one can make fun of the statues at Nats Park anymore?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: February 09, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »
Only if they give Selig 5 arms!  :roll:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: February 09, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »
It's sad that I have to actively avoid the statues when I'm bringing someone new to the games.

They're an abomination, and certainly not art.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #4: February 09, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
Statue of Selig:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #5: February 09, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
:clap:

« Reply #6: February 16, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
Big deal. We already have one of those Selig statues in our neighborhood already.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: February 16, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
You know those guys who are legends in one place but turn into total dunderheads when they move on to bigger and better things, I think Bud Selig is one of those guys.

Yea, what an jerk. The wild-card really ruined the game,oh and saving baseball in Milwaukee what was he thinkig?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: February 16, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »
Yea, what a jerk. The wild-card really ruined the game,oh and saving baseball in Milwaukee what was he thinkig?
One and a half things in what, 15 years? 

The WBC could be good, but the timing of it is awful and has had a negative impact on the MLB product.  He also had a World Series cancelled under his watch.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #9: February 16, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »
Revenue sharing is iffy, and he hasn't gotten a cap yet (basically the only major league not to have a cap for the last couple of years and next two weeks).

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: February 16, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »
Revenue sharing is iffy, and he hasn't gotten a cap yet (basically the only major league not to have a cap for the last couple of years and next two weeks).

The only way to get a cap in place is to make everyone go back on strike. That's something I never want to see again.