Author Topic: shooting at Smith mountain lake  (Read 3210 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: shooting at Smith mountain lake
« Reply #25: August 26, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »
I'd amend "terrorist" to "psychopath".

Close in each account.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #27: August 26, 2015, 08:25:18 PM »
 :smh:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #28: August 26, 2015, 08:35:29 PM »
Correctomundo, he was an Obama supporter;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3212142/The-human-tape-recorder-TV-murderer-criticized-bosses-appalling-journalistic-standards-reprimanded-wearing-Obama-badge-report-elections.html

According to a news report, the guy claimed in his manifesto that Jehovah was coming to him routinely and telling him what to do.

So I'm going with right wing, religious terrorist

Offline mitlen

« Reply #29: August 26, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
According to a news report, the guy claimed in his manifesto that Jehovah was coming to him routinely and telling him what to do.

:lol:

Offline wj73

« Reply #30: August 26, 2015, 08:41:05 PM »
Sounds like a mirror image of the church shooter. Loser who felt everyone was against him because of his race, and of course the way to remedy that was by shooting innocent people.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #31: August 26, 2015, 08:46:40 PM »
But not psychopath? Plus he was a lefty Obama supporter, so maybe we want to throw in anarchist rather than terrorist? Much lefty-er.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #32: August 26, 2015, 08:48:59 PM »
It doesn't sound like this guy was soaking himself in the bathwater of internet hate like the church shooter was. This is more like going full postal and half unibomber.

Sounds like a mirror image of the church shooter. Loser who felt everyone was against him because of his race, and of course the way to remedy that was by shooting innocent people.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #33: August 26, 2015, 08:52:07 PM »
Kolko tweeted that Adam Ward the cameraman was a huge Nats fan along with his dad.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: August 26, 2015, 09:31:13 PM »
glad the guy died so we don't have to spend any more money on him.

we were in the blacksburg area and left late this morning for NOVA; didn't know about the incident until hearing on the radio later in the early afternoon; had no idea why I66 was closed until reading about it this evening; great work by the State Police and every one else involved.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #35: August 26, 2015, 11:19:50 PM »
Woke up this morning at 4:30am San Diego time to CNN playing a scene of a place I spent a lot of time during my youth, Bridgewater Plaza, before screeching and gunfire broke out.  Watching the video from the shooter's perspective was really surreal, especially if you've ever been to where the shooting took place.  Just really sad and bizarre.  Watching a live execution during a fluff piece is not how most people watching WDBJ7 expect to start their day.  If you read the WDBJ7 personnel files that the Guardian released they gave an obviously disturbed and dangerous employee multiple, multiple chances to turn it around before finally firing him.  Should be interesting to see what comes out about this clown over the next couple of days. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #36: August 26, 2015, 11:58:06 PM »
I'll be there this weekend. Eating lunch and playing putt-putt on the marina like I do every time I go there. Not sure how I'll feel this time.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #37: August 27, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »
It's just the latest chapter in the neverending "disturbed nutjob shooting" series; pretend like it didn't happen there and enjoy yourself. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #38: August 27, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »
except it was news people, so other news people will keep treating it like a presidential assassination and we'll never hear the end of it. When you boil it down, it was a work place shooting with two deaths- these things happen all the time without leading every news cast- the morning news actually had the girl's boyfriend flipping though a scrap book for ten minutes- until a cabby's widow gets the same treatment I'll chalk it up to local TV news thinking they're more important than they are     

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: August 27, 2015, 09:30:46 AM »
except it was news people, so other news people will keep treating it like a presidential assassination and we'll never hear the end of it. When you boil it down, it was a work place shooting with two deaths- these things happen all the time without leading every news cast- the morning news actually had the girl's boyfriend flipping though a scrap book for ten minutes- until a cabby's widow gets the same treatment I'll chalk it up to local TV news thinking they're more important than they are     

I hate to be crass but I had the same thoughts watching the coverage yesterday.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #40: August 27, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »
When you boil it down, it was a work place shooting with two deaths- these things happen all the time without leading every news cast

You're leaving out it was a live assassination, pretty big difference than the standard, run-of-the-mill work place shootings.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #41: August 27, 2015, 09:39:36 AM »
You're leaving out it was a live assassination, pretty big difference than the standard, run-of-the-mill work place shootings.

Right, I don't disagree that news media people have an unbelievable sense of their own importance, but I think the live aspect, combined with the POV video being released a short time later, is what is driving this. It's like Natural Born Killers or something.

But yes on news media - always amazing that they do things like decline to vote for someone for the HOF because they wouldn't give them a good quote 15 years ago. You do realize that one person is important and one person is a miserable POS right?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: August 27, 2015, 09:40:27 AM »

Camera or not, this is no "standard, run-of-the-mill" workplace shooting to those covering it.     It's personal.      Personal is not journalism.  Personal is editorial and/or commentary.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #43: August 27, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »
Camera or not, this is no "standard, run-of-the-mill" workplace shooting to those covering it.     It's personal.      Personal is not journalism.  Personal is editorial and/or commentary.

Of course not, I'm just pointing out there's an angle to this that's usually missing to our weekly workplace-shooting story.  They're definitely going to milk this for all that it's worth, have no doubt.  I do wonder if anyone is going to question WDBJ7 about why they gave this sack of dung so many chances before firing him.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #44: August 27, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »
Of course not, I'm just pointing out there's an angle to this that's usually missing to our weekly workplace-shooting story.  They're definitely going to milk this for all that it's worth, have no doubt.  I do wonder if anyone is going to question WDBJ7 about why they gave this sack of dung so many chances before firing him.

I also wonder where his family/friends were.   If my son (relative or close friend) got fired that many times, I like to think I'd have a talk with him   ....   regardless of his age.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: August 27, 2015, 09:48:34 AM »

and the coverage yesterday was probably reasonable considering that, having the boyfriend flipping through a scrapbook while everyone talks about how close and unique news rooms are moves into another category

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #46: August 27, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
I also wonder where his family/friends were.   If my son (relative or close friend) got fired that many times, I like to think I'd have a talk with him   ....   regardless of his age.

Right?  And what was he living on if he hadn't had a job in two years??

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: August 27, 2015, 11:48:14 AM »
Anyways just tired of this kind of stuff. Not sure what the answer is but need a way that keep these wackos away from the rest of us.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #48: August 27, 2015, 11:53:13 AM »
Right?  And what was he living on if he hadn't had a job in two years??

You can make $10/hour and survive in Roanoke.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #49: August 27, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »
and the coverage yesterday was probably reasonable considering that, having the boyfriend flipping through a scrapbook while everyone talks about how close and unique news rooms are moves into another category

Now that I missed. That sounds rather macabre.