Author Topic: Panda cubs  (Read 1204 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Panda cubs
« Reply #25: August 26, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »
I'd (maybe) give a crap what they thought about such matters if they weren't 95% of world demand for ivory, rhino horn, shark fins, etc etc.

..  and Tiger "parts".

Offline dracnal

« Reply #26: August 26, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
I'd (maybe) give a crap what they thought about such matters if they weren't 95% of world demand for ivory, rhino horn, shark fins, etc etc.

Understandable, but I'm pretty sure the pandas are 'on loan.' If they don't like what we do or feel we're disrespecting them, yoink, no more panda.

**and I could be 100% wrong on the above statement. I'm relying on something I remember from years ago when Tai Shan was born (or whatever it got named).

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: August 26, 2015, 10:25:43 PM »
freak 'em. Give them back. Get some 'merican animals in there. Black bears or something.

Understandable, but I'm pretty sure the pandas are 'on loan.' If they don't like what we do or feel we're disrespecting them, yoink, no more panda.

**and I could be 100% wrong on the above statement. I'm relying on something I remember from years ago when Tai Shan was born (or whatever it got named).

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #28: August 26, 2015, 10:29:38 PM »
It's not quite a loan. It's more like a lease. The zoo paid a lot of money to have these two pandas (unlike Ling-Ling and Hsing-Hsing, who were given to the zoo by the Chinese during the Nixon Administration; times have changed and China doesn't give away pandas anymore).

I think the contract was to expire this year, but perhaps if the remaining cub survives that might be a reason to extend the deal.

Edited to add: The zoo's website says the current agreement runs through this December 5.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #29: August 27, 2015, 12:16:51 AM »
I worked at the animal shelter for 15 years - sometimes we used to have to put orphan babies on just about any species of mom who was available and willing.  Worked in a lot of cases, too.