Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread (2015)  (Read 27583 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread (2015)
« Reply #175: February 25, 2015, 07:58:03 PM »
I am legit surprised at how big of a disaster the WWE is now. They seem to have no clear direction planned for anyone outside of Reigns and Wyatt. After the crap on Monday, I'm never gonna complain about having to watch another Baron Corbin match on NXT ever again.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #176: February 25, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
Is it wrong for me to wish Brock goes off on Reigns like that time he purposely broke Bob Holly's neck?

I'm not saying he needs to break Reigns neck... but I'd love for WWE to try and pull something on Lesnar... just to see how bad it would end up for them.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #177: February 25, 2015, 09:42:54 PM »
Is it wrong for me to wish Brock goes off on Reigns like that time he purposely broke Bob Holly's neck?

I'm not saying he needs to break Reigns neck... but I'd love for WWE to try and pull something on Lesnar... just to see how bad it would end up for them.

I don't really want him to seriously hurt Reigns, but I'd love it if he no-sold everything and beat the crap out of Reigns. The look on Roman's face once he realized what was happening would be priceless.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #178: February 25, 2015, 10:57:23 PM »
FWIW, Reigns was kept off the Smackdown tapings and only wrestled a dark match.   However Wrestling Observer is reporting that Lesnar walked out after a meeting with Vince McMahon over a disagreement over a contract extension.  Lesnar's last day under his present deal is the Monday after Wrestlemania.

Offline imref

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #180: February 26, 2015, 12:42:43 AM »
That Space Mountain bit had me rolling... not a good look for Arn, though.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #181: February 26, 2015, 01:17:13 AM »
So THAT'S where referring to one's penis as Space Mountain comes from! I've heard it referenced before, but I didn't know it was a Flair quote.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #182: February 26, 2015, 11:46:35 PM »
I've been watching Ric Flair promos on Youtube. Pure gold.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #183: February 26, 2015, 11:59:01 PM »
This is Lesnar legit breaking Bob Holly's neck, btw...

Supposedly Holly sandbagged him... but Holly said he didn't. Either way, Brock gave him a rough landing.

Offline imref

« Reply #184: February 28, 2015, 06:57:11 PM »
The 3/13 New Japan show on AXS is going to have one of the better matches of the last few years.  It's the Wrestle Kingdom 8 main event from January 4, 2014 at the Tokyo Dome in front of about 35,000 people.  Okada, defends the IWGP world title against Tetsuya Naito, the winner of the 2013 Climax G1 tournament.  If you have access to AXS, set your DVRs.  The show will only feature that match, in its entirety, as it the match ran about 30 minutes.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #185: February 28, 2015, 10:41:13 PM »
Now that I have the Network, do you guys have any suggestions for some old shows to watch?

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #186: March 01, 2015, 01:21:13 PM »
Here is wrestling the way it should be: 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #187: March 02, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
Now that I have the Network, do you guys have any suggestions for some old shows to watch?

It depends on the types of shows you like.  What I dig about the Network is they give you enough behind-the-scenes information to captivate you but not so much that they ruin the show.  If you really need to find out everything you can go elsewhere, but they do a great job of giving you the right amount of backstage information.  With that I really like:

Legends of Wrestling
Monday Night Wars
Beyond the Ring

The Steve Austin podcasts are great too.

I can't get enough of that type of stuff.  My routine on the weekends includes a lot of laundry so I am able to take over the living room and fold laundry for a couple of hours and get a few shows on the Network banged out.  I also really like Countdown so I can disagree with a lot of they put on the lists.

I recently watched Wrestlemania 6 which featured the only IC Champ v. WWF Champ match in history where both belts were on the line.  That match and the heat between The Warrior and Hulk Hogan was amazing to relive. 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #188: March 02, 2015, 08:38:51 PM »
Yay Luke Harper!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #189: March 02, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »
I've only watched three episodes of Raw and I can already what they will show at a given time in the broadcast. After the tag team match, (The Usos and the Brass Ring Club AGAIN.) I thought to myself "Time for John Cena to come out and talk for fifteen minutes" and that was exactly what happened.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #190: March 02, 2015, 09:48:22 PM »
So we had to listen to Triple H say nothing of value for fifteen minutes uninterrupted by commercials, but then we go to commercials thirty seconds into the Divas championship match? freak the WWE.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #191: March 02, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
So we had to listen to Triple H say nothing of value for fifteen minutes uninterrupted by commercials, but then we go to commercials thirty seconds into the Divas championship match? freak the WWE.

I don't know why you're torturing yourself like this.  You need either a fleshlight or some liquid courage if you've reached this point of boredom.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #192: March 02, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »
I don't know why you're torturing yourself like this.  You need either a fleshlight or some liquid courage if you've reached this point of boredom.
I'm not watching it with my full attention. I've got it on in the background while I exercise.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #193: March 02, 2015, 10:50:37 PM »
Honestly, the IC title thing is really fun. I was also was surprised how well Stewart's segment went. Good development of Rollins' arc. They may be setting up Orton screwing Rollins out of the Authority thus leading to a Rollins face turn.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #194: March 02, 2015, 11:53:07 PM »
And Curtis Axel is over. Really over. He's Mizdow 2.0. A comedy act that everybody loves because the guy sells it as hard as he can.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #195: March 03, 2015, 11:34:14 PM »
Has Finn Balor ever had a personality before NXT? He is a fantastic wrestler and he has a great look with his Carnage paint, but from what I've seen, he is generic as hell in his interviews.

Offline imref

« Reply #196: March 03, 2015, 11:54:19 PM »
Has Finn Balor ever had a personality before NXT? He is a fantastic wrestler and he has a great look with his Carnage paint, but from what I've seen, he is generic as hell in his interviews.

Before joining the WWE, he wrestled as Prince Devitt, he was one of the top heels in New Japan Pro Wrestling and the leader of the Bullet Club heel stable. 

here's Devitt's IWGP world title match against Okada from 2013.  It's a fantastic match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1255tz_kazuchika-okada-vs-prince-devitt-njpw-kizuna-road-akita-2013_sport

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #197: March 04, 2015, 12:27:17 PM »
I'm not watching it with my full attention. I've got it on in the background while I exercise.

Since you started watching regularly, you've been responsible for about half the posts in this thread...

I watched the Jon Stewart thing on youtube out of curiosity.  Most of the segment was decent enough, but they completely ruined it with face Orton.  Stop trying to make that guy a face.  It doesn't work.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #198: March 04, 2015, 01:01:55 PM »
Most of the segment was decent enough, but they completely ruined it with face Orton.  Stop trying to make that guy a face.  It doesn't work.

Orton is one of those types of guys where you can just let him be a character and the feud he happens to be in will dictate whether he's face or heel for that particular angle.  The fans just seem to want Orton whether heel or face doesn't seem to matter.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #199: March 04, 2015, 10:12:02 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what to make of Orton/Rollins. Orton is obviously gonna screw Rollins eventually, but what's the fallout of that going to be? Orton takes Rollins' place in the Authority and Rollins turns face? And Minty, it isn't a good thing that the story alone dictates whether Orton is a face or heel because that means there is no noticeable difference character-wise between heel Orton and face Orton.

Wached NXT tonight. Charlotte and Sasha Banks killed it as was expected, but the rest was pretty meh. I don't like their beefy monster guys. Bull Dempsey is a bland lardass with a goofy outfit (Who is now losing a lot.) and Baron Corbin is not threatening enough to make the emotionless killer persona he's got work. For that sort of character, you've got to have a guy who has an intimidating death stare, but Corbin just looks neutral, bland, and honestly too normal for the role. He just doesn't look scary, and it is not helping that all he does is the same damn jobber squash again and again. He needs to kill some legit competitors to be really taken seriously, and no, Bull Dempsey doesn't count.