Author Topic: Nationals Park Traditions  (Read 3198 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Nationals Park Traditions
« Reply #25: February 27, 2008, 08:37:53 AM »
how about some rally towels or better yet rally flags when we need a big out, or big hit, or tryin to come back

Too much like the Steelers terrible towel.

I'm not picky...

Let's make a tradition of winning... 

That's when traditions really get started...

Now this I like.

natsfan1a

« Reply #26: February 27, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »
Maybe a dinger chant for when one of our guys hits one? That, or you have to eat a Dinger treat for each one that our guys hit? :)

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #27: February 27, 2008, 09:35:22 AM »
I think you have to let the music/song traditions develop on their own. 

If you have a creative marketing team, or, as the White Sox have, a pretty savvy ballpark organist (Nancy Faust), they try things out that catch on and become your ballpark traditions, and then are co-opted by others (e.g. "Sweet Caroline," which started with the Red Sox, I believe). 

Nancy Faust started playing the chorus from an obscure early 70's hit when opposing pitchers were being changed.  This chorus (Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye) has been co-opted across the country and in just about every sport.  Its a big part of White Sox games today, and we still use the ballpark organ version, rather than a recording of the pop hit itself. 

Another favorite for us back in the 80s was after doing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" for the 7th inning stretch, Nancy would start her own version of "Run Around Sue" with the fans singing along to the "Woe Woe Woe" part.  It was great fun.  Nancy is in semi-retirement now (she only performs for day games and weekend games), so we get more "canned" music at the games.  Some of this works, and some it doesn't. 

For example, back in the 90s, the White Sox would always play "The Boys are Back in Town" when the team took the field after for the first game after a road trip.  Cute, I suppose, but it got old. 

I agree that winning really helps cement these kinds of routines.  After the turn of the century, the White Sox started a tradition of playing  a montage video of highlights from White Sox history on the big screen in center field at the start of every game as a prelude to introducing the starting lineup. It uses movie soundtrackmusic (part of it from Pirates of the Caribbean, I believe).  I still get chills and a lump in my throat every time I see it, as the video clips represent nearly a century of White Sox baseball, and almost every clip was something I saw or experienced.  Here's a link to a recording of it from the 2006 season:

Here's a "bootleg" version of the same thing from 2007, to give you the full affect.  After the history montage, they switch to heavy metal "Thunderstruck" with lightening bolts and stuff, and introduce the starting lineup.  These home movies don't do it justice -- it is a raucuous good time.  Quality not good but you get the idea:

We've done it this way since 04.

The "Thunderstruck" song has also been sort of the official opening song for the White Sox since the mid 90s.  I prefer Nancy Faust's organ music, but it has become a White Sox tradition.

Another nice tradition is when we win the game, the fans exit to the music of the Blues Brothers "Sweet Home Chicago" 

You'll develop you own traditions in due time.  Hopefully your marketing guys will be creative, and find a few that really work and fit in uniquely with the Nats.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #28: February 27, 2008, 01:27:33 PM »
Or you could have different ones for different circumstances:

- Let's Get It On, start of a game vs. division rivals

This one would remind me too much of a bad experience I had when I was 15 :?

Don't they sometimes play 'That's the Way I Like It' by KC and the Sunshine Band?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #29: February 27, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »

The "Thunderstruck" song has also been sort of the official opening song for the White Sox since the mid 90s. 

Oh oh, watch out soxfan!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #30: February 27, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »
There have been a couple of traditions that have evolved for some teams that I really liked -

Thank God I'm a Country Boy - don't ask me why - it's a horrendous song - but I enjoyed it everytime they played it at Camden Yards

The Angels Rally Monkey - AWESOME - it even had rules - had to be past the 7th inning, behind in the game, with a man on base - that was great - made me laugh everytime

Chicago's  - Take me out to the Ballgame - classic - though - celebreties should NEVER sing it

Things that need to die

Sweet Caroline - anywhere  ... get that ish out of here

Throwing the ball back - wtf?? The worst - do you know what the odds are of catching a home run ball? Keep the damn thing - what are you thinking?

Anything they do in Philly ... ever

Mets fans thinking their team (and their fanbase) is the yankees (BWAHAHAHA) ..

Baseball in Florida - unless it's Spring Training - get that ish out there!

Domed Baseball stadiums - HORRENDOUS - WORST IDEA EVER

The designated hitter - BLECH - where's the hutzpah? Where's the strategy? Where's the pitcher trying to put down a bunt (Nats - worst bunting team ever notwithstanding) - Is there anything better or more surprising that a Pitcher getting a BIG Hit or Even a Home Run!  Besides I'm sick and tired of seeing all these 90 year old guys being dh's cuz they can't do anything else ...

The All Star game deciding who has home field advantage - YUCK - What is that??

Chipper Jones - whining about everything, everywhere, all the time - just shut up chipper ...

Bud Selig - nuff said ...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #31: February 27, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »
I don't know about that Tom. I think Sam Moore might have the right idea about co-opting certain songs.

Who is Sam Moore?

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #32: February 27, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »

The Cubs - Take me out to the Ballgame - classic - though - celebreties should NEVER sing it

The "tradition" of having Harry Carey lead the singing of "Take me out to the ballgame" was the brainchild of Bill Veeck, then owner of the White Sox, when Harry was the announcer for the White Sox.  I get absolutely apoplectic when Cubs fans claim this is part of "their tradition."

Here is the proof that Harry did it with the Sox first!  A clip from 1980.

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=546&m=xxsportsxx&p=2

You can also see in that clip how organist Nancy Faust was an integral part of entertainment at Old Comiskey.

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #33: February 27, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »
Oh oh, watch out soxfan!

Why is that?  The White Sox use that song at the start of every game.  Personally, I can't stand it.  What we need at the ballgame is MORE heavy metal bumper music.  Sheesh!  A little big band jazz would be nice every now and then.

Offline blue911

« Reply #34: February 27, 2008, 06:03:34 PM »
Who is Sam Moore?

The Sam of Sam and Dave. When Barak Obama's campaign used Hold On,I'm Comin', Sam asked them to refrain. It had nothing to do with politics or royalties. Sam said that the song was sexual in nature and didn't think you could or should try to change the meaning. Afternoon Delight falls into the same category IMO.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #35: February 27, 2008, 06:14:45 PM »
The "tradition" of having Harry Carey lead the singing of "Take me out to the ballgame" was the brainchild of Bill Veeck, then owner of the White Sox, when Harry was the announcer for the White Sox.  I get absolutely apoplectic when Cubs fans claim this is part of "their tradition."

Here is the proof that Harry did it with the Sox first!  A clip from 1980.

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=546&m=xxsportsxx&p=2

You can also see in that clip how organist Nancy Faust was an integral part of entertainment at Old Comiskey.

My apologies ... I had the wrong Chicago ...

natsfan1a

« Reply #36: February 27, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »
It may have been in reference to one of our forum members with a similar name to the song's title (and I'll take big band over heavy metal any day).

Why is that?  The White Sox use that song at the start of every game.  Personally, I can't stand it.  What we need at the ballgame is MORE heavy metal bumper music.  Sheesh!  A little big band jazz would be nice every now and then.

natsfan1a

« Reply #37: February 27, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
hmm, this might also rule out some Marvin Gaye tunes...

The Sam of Sam and Dave. When Barak Obama's campaign used Hold On,I'm Comin', Sam asked them to refrain. It had nothing to do with politics or royalties. Sam said that the song was sexual in nature and didn't think you could or should try to change the meaning. Afternoon Delight falls into the same category IMO.

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: February 27, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »
hmm, this might also rule out some Marvin Gaye tunes...

I think it would. But MLB games should have a G rating.

natsfan1a

« Reply #39: February 27, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »
Some of the at-bat music doesn't qualify, I suspect.

natsfan1a

« Reply #40: February 27, 2008, 06:40:51 PM »
Although, if the sound system at the new park is like that at RFK, we won't be able to hear the music anyway.

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #41: February 27, 2008, 06:44:31 PM »
  I certainly sympathize with the concept that the ballgame should be a family experience, the almost ubiquitous use of heavy metal rock, rap, and other forms of extreme pop music at ballparks, including some pretty offensive lyrics.  When the between inning bumper tunes include things like ACDC's "Shook me all Night Long," it ain't necessarily rated G anymore.

Offline blue911

« Reply #42: February 27, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »
Although, if the sound system at the new park is like that at RFK, we won't be able to hear the music anyway.

QFT

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: February 27, 2008, 09:24:40 PM »

From Bill Danoff's web site, on the subject at hand:

According to an account in Rolling Stone, Taffy credited the song's creation to a culinary repast. "Bill wrote this after having lunch at Clyde's in Washington, D.C.," she explained to an audience before performing the song. "It seems Clyde's has a menu called 'Afternoon Delight' with stuff like spiced shrimp and hot Brie with almonds. So Bill ate it -- the food, that is -- and went home and explained to me what 'Afternoon Delight' should be."

Danoff acknowledged that audiences might find hidden meanings in the song. "I didn't want to write an all-out sex song," he told Dennis Hunt of the Los Angeles Times. "I just wanted to write something that was fun and hinted at sex. It was one of those songs that you could really have a good time writing."

The Danoffs thought they might have had a problem getting airplay on "Afternoon Delight," but few stations found it objectionable. "If the song had been banned it would have been a real injustice," Bill said in the Times. "The lyrics are subtle and sophisticated and not at all raunchy. It might have been banned years ago but not today."

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: February 27, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »
"I just wanted to write something that was fun and hinted at sex. It was one of those songs that you could really have a good time writing."

The song is fine for radio play. People can change the channel or turn off the radio if they find it inappropiate. But that isn't the case at a baseball game. There is plenty of music that doesn't contain sexual innuendo.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #45: February 28, 2008, 01:48:44 AM »
However, the innuendo is such that children will have no idea what its referring to, and the adults can have a little smile of fond memories. We're not talking raunch here.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #46: February 28, 2008, 02:53:53 AM »
When Ronnynat said:
I like the song just fine, but it really made no sense to use it here. I kind of like the song that Navy Yard used in that Nationals video. Well, the chorus at least.

If its Look How Far We've Come.  I suggested to Navy Yard to make that video.  I like the song but its catchy music but its about looking back before the end of the world.  Kind of like Springsteen's Born in the USA is anti-war but sounds pro war patriotic at the same time.

Offline Rojo Johnson

• formerly Southeast Jerome
  • nages leave
« Reply #47: February 28, 2008, 05:41:17 AM »
The Cubs have a bunch of songs that they call their own.  I know the great Steve Goodman (who wrote City of New Orleans, among other things) wrote a bunch of them. 

I like the idea of "Afternoon Delight" for day games, and always play Chuck Brown. 

Offline ernie0326

« Reply #48: February 28, 2008, 07:53:08 AM »
I was thinking that we can do this depending on the score of the game @ the 7th inning....

If the Nats were winning or behind by only 1-2 runs - play Chuck Brown

If the Nats were down by 3 or more - play "You Gotta have Heart" from Damn Yankees.

but above all, if you hear ANY fans of visiting teams starting a chant, LOUDLY AND PROUDLY DROWN 'EM OUT WITH "LETS GO NATS!!!!!!"

Offline spidernat

« Reply #49: February 28, 2008, 08:38:30 AM »

but above all, if you hear ANY fans of visiting teams starting a chant, LOUDLY AND PROUDLY DROWN 'EM OUT WITH "LETS GO NATS!!!!!!"

Not gonna happen. Most of our fans just sit there and watch them have their way in our house :?