Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 171923 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1300: July 18, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »
Pacific Rim. 3 1/2 stars. Great effects, excellent fight scenes, and good acting. It's also slow to get going, the characters are cliches, and there are a bunch of issues I have with I will address in the spoilers, but overall, I did like it.

Okay, so eventually, the giant mech suits, called Jaegers, begin losing badly to the monsters, which are becoming increasingly large and tough. So the governments of the world decide to decommission them and build a giant wall around everything in the Pacific. Of course, one monster breaks through the wall in Australia will no trouble and has to be stopped by a Jaeger, rendering the entire wall project useless. Okay, so the governments of the world decide to decommission the giant robot suits in favor of a wall, which is strictly defensive, before the wall is even finished? Bullcrap. If the Jaegers were getting beaten, we'd just start developing better Jaegers. And assuming that we managed to wall off EVERY BIT OF COASTLINE IN THE PACIFIC, the wall wouldn't kill the monsters, so you'd have the issue of giant monsters roaming the ocean, effectively destroying sea travel in the Pacific. Oh, and the idea of the UN or any world government willingly turning off skyscraper size mechs is laughable.

Second, there are four Jaegers left, and in the beginning of the big fight towards the end of the second act, the two most advanced Jaegers piloted by experienced crews get torn up by two monsters with no trouble, but the main characters, who are a washed up has-been and a complete newbie, drop in in an old piece of crap Jaeger and kill the two monsters with only moderate difficulty. BULLcrap. Of course, this is because they are the main characters, so I understand why it happens, but it's still nonsensical.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #1301: July 19, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »
This is pretty amusing.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #1302: July 20, 2013, 11:05:01 PM »

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1303: July 20, 2013, 11:17:58 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!
Eh. Man of Steel kinda sucked, so I'm not very enthused.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1304: July 21, 2013, 04:12:38 AM »

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #1305: July 21, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »
When did this happen?

yesterday at Comic-Con.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1306: July 22, 2013, 09:25:34 AM »
Can't wait to see Ender's Game

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1307: July 22, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »
I'll be interested to see if they screw with the ending- it certainly isn't the normal hollywood happy. I could see them cutting it off a few chapters early

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1308: July 23, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
haven't they been showing that logo (batman/superman) for years?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1309: July 23, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »
haven't they been showing that logo (batman/superman) for years?

The idea has always been there but it was never declared a movie until that reveal. People thought a movie was going to be made back in 2007/2008 when "I Am Legend" had a movie poster within the movie of the same logo shown above.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1310: July 23, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »
Only God Forgives.

WOW.  I need to see this again to digest. One of the most violent movies I've ever seen.  Just oozed style.  Kristin Scott Thomas was the most ruthless woman character ever put on screen.  Really loved it.  4 out of 5. 
Really? It is getting roasted by critics. All style and no substance allegedly.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1311: July 23, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
I finally saw 42.  Really liked it.  I'm sure there's a ton to the story they couldn't put into the film.  I've been thinking since I saw it he's got to be in the conversation for top ten greatest Americans.  I'm sure there are many who have done more that no one knows about, but he's up there.  Really wonderful movie.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1312: July 23, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
i saw 42 last week ... thought it was a bit overrated.  i thought chadwick boseman and harrison ford were awesome.  but not enough baseball for me. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1313: July 23, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »
HHHmmmnnn... the top 10 Americans list - that's a tough one.  You could be right about Jackie Robinson being on that list.  But there are so many others who started this country and were leaders in wars that it might be hard to include everyone

I finally saw 42.  Really liked it.  I'm sure there's a ton to the story they couldn't put into the film.  I've been thinking since I saw it he's got to be in the conversation for top ten greatest Americans.  I'm sure there are many who have done more that no one knows about, but he's up there.  Really wonderful movie.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1314: July 23, 2013, 06:32:13 PM »
HHHmmmnnn... the top 10 Americans list - that's a tough one.  You could be right about Jackie Robinson being on that list.  But there are so many others who started this country and were leaders in wars that it might be hard to include everyone

I think someone from the civil rights era will have to be in there, whether it's MLK Jr. or Rosa Parks or Jackie or somebody else, I don't think someone from that fight has to be included.  It would be a fascinating list, for sure.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1315: July 23, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
I think someone from the civil rights era will have to be in there, whether it's MLK Jr. or Rosa Parks or Jackie or somebody else, I don't think someone from that fight has to be included.  It would be a fascinating list, for sure.

I might even include a couple,  but I'd probably put Robinson lower than an MLK or  W. E. B.  Dubois (I think those two would be my choice for equality/civil rights representation on the list with the possible addition of Frederick. Douglas)

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #1316: July 23, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »
man of steel: 8/10
promised land: 5/10

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #1317: July 23, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I might even include a couple,  but I'd probably put Robinson lower than an MLK or  W. E. B.  Dubois (I think those two would be my choice for equality/civil rights representation on the list with the possible addition of Frederick. Douglas)

i would recommend john lewis' autobiography to anyone interested in the civil rights movement. he's a goddamn legend.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1318: July 23, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »
I hate to sound like a politician, but I'd rather see a list of 20 greatest Americans

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1319: July 24, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »
Saw Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing".  It was a lot of fun.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1320: July 24, 2013, 12:10:36 AM »
Saw Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing".  It was a lot of fun.
Totally agree, a lot of fun. Fillion as Dogberry was flawless, I laughed at almost everything he said. Or even when he wasn't talking. And the eavesdropping slapstick was worth it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1321: July 24, 2013, 01:03:15 AM »
Totally agree, a lot of fun. Fillion as Dogberry was flawless, I laughed at almost everything he said. Or even when he wasn't talking. And the eavesdropping slapstick was worth it.
best scene of the movie.  Easy.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1322: July 24, 2013, 01:30:44 AM »
BRING BACK FIREFLY!!!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1323: July 25, 2013, 12:33:47 AM »
Tango & Cash is a mediocre self-aware stupid action flick, but for a supposed comedy, it suffers from a severe case of the not funnys.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1324: July 25, 2013, 08:17:31 AM »
Tango & Cash is a mediocre self-aware stupid action flick, but for a supposed comedy, it suffers from a severe case of the not funnys.

24 years late to the party kid...