Author Topic: The Mens Wear Thread  (Read 15012 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: The Mens Wear Thread
« Reply #25: January 30, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
I usually poo poo Ralph Lauren because I was a tool and wore nothing but black Ralph Lauren Polos for years, but the Purple Label Ralph Lauren shoes and clothes are bad ass. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: January 30, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »
You must be making serious bank- $1,000 shoes and purple label

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #27: January 30, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »
Are you sure it's the fault of the shoes ?

How breathable is the Rockport leather?  Not to sound like a shoe snob, but the lower quality leathers often aren't very breathable and get the dreaded "smell".

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: January 30, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »
How breathable is the Rockport leather?  Not to sound like a shoe snob, but the lower quality leathers often aren't very breathable and get the dreaded "smell".

i haven't had any issues, the only thing is after about a year of regular use the outside of the soles wears down, it's more due to the way I walk though.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #29: January 30, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »
nordstrom rack is a great place to find cheap men's clothes that are still good quality

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #30: January 30, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
Are you sure it's the fault of the shoes ?

It's all about the quality of leather, really.  I'm going to see how well these Cole Haans hold up to daily wear.

You must be making serious bank- $1,000 shoes and purple label

I do ok, I also don't have any kids (yet).  I've struggled with my weight my entire life so now that I'm getting into better shape I'm starting to want to dress better and if I'm going to have to spend the money anyway (because of my body size) I might as well buy quality clothing.  Besides, I'm still going to be wearing the same $20 Stafford JC Penney dress shirts and $20 CostCo ties, I'll just have better suits and shoes. :P

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #31: January 30, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
nordstrom rack is a great place to find cheap men's clothes that are still good quality

And accessories too.  Last time I was there they had a really nice Jack Spade ID wallet for $40 I almost bought.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: January 30, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
I do ok, I also don't have any kids (yet).  I've struggled with my weight my entire life so now that I'm getting into better shape I'm starting to want to dress better and if I'm going to have to spend the money anyway (because of my body size) I might as well buy quality clothing.  Besides, I'm still going to be wearing the same $20 Stafford JC Penney dress shirts and $20 CostCo ties, I'll just have better suits and shoes. :P

If you're going to splurge, hold off on the purple label and get a hickey freeman dress shirt

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #33: January 30, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
If you're going to splurge, hold off on the purple label and get a hickey freeman dress shirt

No way, I'm not even joking when I say this, but the $20 JC Penney Stafford shirts fit great.  That I'm still carrying an extra 150lbs invalidates how they look, but the fit is great.  From a quick perusal, Hickey Freeman has some very nice jackets.  :az: :az:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #34: January 30, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »
Damnit mds had to go and start a useful thread so I have to unignore him :lol:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #35: January 30, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
$1000 clothes?  I don't think my entire "wardrobe" cost more than $400 :lol:

Good thing I don't have to wear a suit and tie or even dress shirts.  Jeans and $20 polos, because they fit.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #36: January 30, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »
All of my ties smell of pho. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #37: January 30, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »

Good thing I don't have to wear a suit and tie or even dress shirts.  Jeans and $20 polos, because they fit.

I have become used to wearing a suit. As long as your shirt collar isn't too tight, it's really not that bad. They even make comfy men's shoes now, with rubber soles.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #38: January 30, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »

That's funny, aren't you a big ol' Apple fanboi?  :stir:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #39: January 30, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to see if any of those are near me.

Cynical Chief says everyone looks the same in a monkeysuit anyway, so why worry if somebody else got their monkeysuit from the same store? ;)

Nordstrom Rack has good stuff at more reasonable prices. Also, Marshalls. They have Calvin Klein suits (not their top shelf stuff, though). Also Amazon has Kenneth Cole suit separates for like $180 for the pair, and they have free returns. Also Kenneth Cole outlets.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #40: January 30, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
It's all about the quality of leather, really.  I'm going to see how well these Cole Haans hold up to daily wear.

Dude the $20 Costco ties are Italian silk and they have decent dress shirts in good colors.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #41: January 30, 2012, 07:36:44 PM »
Dude the $20 Costco ties are Italian silk and they have decent dress shirts in good colors.

I know, I never said they were bad, I said that I wore them.  It's too bad they don't have any in orange or lime green.  The dress shirts there are pretty nice but in limited sizes.

The problem with Marshalls is that the quality isn't that great and a lot of the clothing is lower end clothes with "leased" designer tags.  Nordstrom Rack is great for accessories.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #42: January 30, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »
That's funny, aren't you a big ol' Apple fanboi?  :stir:

Your point?  There's a lot more substance to an electronic product than a shirt.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: January 30, 2012, 07:46:28 PM »
Your point?  There's a lot more substance to an electronic product than a shirt.

Durability is a factor, I have a few of my grandfather's ties that I still wear- I doubt my grandkid uses my ipod

Offline imref

« Reply #44: January 30, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »

i buy most of my dress shirts at Costco, haven't had any issues.

Offline imref

« Reply #45: January 30, 2012, 07:50:05 PM »

i had two suits, one was 12 years old, the other even older than that.  It was time to buy some new ones that hopefully will last another 15 years or more.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #46: January 30, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »

With men's clothing, you very often get what you pay for. I haven't tried Costco shirts, though; I'd only be in the market if they have some sort of slim/tailored fit.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #47: January 30, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »

:smh:

A lot of it, for me, is the feel and fit.  A nice, well tailored high end suit is hard to beat.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #48: January 30, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »
BB or Nordstrom probably.

Joseph A Bank has the tailored fit shirts that I love, but freaking everyone shops there and I see the same shirts I bought there everywhere.

Charles tyrwhitt has good fitted shirts. usually on sale for about fifty bucks

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #49: January 30, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
I know, I never said they were bad, I said that I wore them.  It's too bad they don't have any in orange or lime green.  The dress shirts there are pretty nice but in limited sizes.

The problem with Marshalls is that the quality isn't that great and a lot of the clothing is lower end clothes with "leased" designer tags.  Nordstrom Rack is great for accessories.

I'm telling you not to sell yourself short on the ties, sheesh :lol:

Paul Frederick shirts are what my brothers-in-law and father-in-law swear by. I brought home an ad from USAir magazine, I'll post the discount code if I find it. The amount of truth to the claims of non-ironness are key in shirts.