Author Topic: Arizona Fall League - 2010 (updated "It's Harper Time")  (Read 17987 times)

Offline Sharp

You know who looked really good in his first few weeks in the Bigs?  Jeff Francoeur.  Let's not get too overexcited after a single night of pretty good at-bats in the AFL.  Not saying Bryce is anywhere near comparable to Francoeur, just that I agree with the Nats' policy of waiting for a month or two of domination of a league before the prospect moves up (even if it was a bit ridiculous with Strasburg).  That said, that swing looked awfully impressive... I don't know if he'll be able to make contact with the ball quite as consistently as he has in the past, but I have no doubt that every time he does make contact it's going to be awesome.

Offline UMDNats

Video:

http://www.nationalsenquirer.com/2010/10/bryce-harpers-first-arizona-fall-league-hit.html

Boy it will be interesting to see what happens if he does well at AFL and at spring training next year.  Could we see him just after the Super-2 date?

Sweet. Man this kid has power.

Offline hammondsnats

Love the picture on milb.com of Harper/Solis looking on from the dugout.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Harper's first at-bat had the fans at the park smiling. The phenom hit a sky-high fly on the first pitch he saw from Mesa Solar Sox starter Josh Zeid in the second inning and as if on cue, it began to rain as soon as shortstop Andrew Romine caught the ball for the out.

The sky cleared up by the time Harper resumed his position in right field for the top of the third inning. He later cleanly fielded a single off the bat of Mets prospect Josh Satin as if the grass were as dry as cardboard.

Those in attendance chuckled at the fantasy of Harper's fly making it rain. Reality set in during the seventh inning when Harper smashed a ground-rule double to left field, narrowly missing a grand slam to one of the deepest parts of the stadium by only a few feet.

"I felt really good at the plate and I was not really jumpy at all. I didn't feel overmatched at all," Harper said. "They came after me and I really appreciate that. I thank all of them for coming at me and facing me with the fastball and offspeed."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101021&content_id=15761054&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Was he expecting to be intentionally walked, or pitched around?

Offline hammondsnats

Was he expecting to be intentionally walked, or pitched around?

haha i'm sure he's used to that.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I want to know how he is looking in the field.

Offline imref

I want to know how he is looking in the field.

there was one report that he ran in to cover 2nd when the 2nd basemen went out for a cut-off, so he's learning where he is supposed to be.

Offline imref

Kilgore has a great write up on Harper's efforts in both offense & defense:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/21/AR2010102101825.html

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I could never see A-Rod saying this.  Sad, because I do think A-Rod enjoys baseball.
There was so much anticipation last year," Harper said. "So much 'do this, do that.' It was insane, because you want to be that first pick. You want to do all those things that you've been wanting to do your whole life. I had to go out there in junior college, and I had to perform every single day. I've still got to perform out here. But it was a lot more tough out there. That was probably the hardest year of my life. This is baseball. This is fun. This is just a blast."

Offline imref

it's hard to realize that this guy should be entering his senior year in high school.

Offline hammondsnats

I could never see A-Rod saying this.  Sad, because I do think A-Rod enjoys baseball.

A-Rod is a stud. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
A-Rod is a stud. 
Not really arguing that.  It is just he does not seem to convey joy when he plays.  The pose and look to the dugout when he hits a home run has a "look at me, I'm great," feel to it. If he'd just giggle once, you could see he's having fun. 

He is a very driven player.  I remember an article talking about him and Jeter getting together one evening and going back over to one of their apartments, and A-Rod wanting to play MLB 2009 (or whatever year it was), Jeter just looking at him and saying something like I don't have that, and A-Rod looking incredulous that a player could not be thinking about baseball in his off time.

Of course, I loved seeing again him getting called for slapping at Arroyo's glove in game 6, the umps (maybe Joe West) making the right call, and him whining.

Offline hammondsnats

Not really arguing that.  It is just he does not seem to convey joy when he plays.  The pose and look to the dugout when he hits a home run has a "look at me, I'm great," feel to it. If he'd just giggle once, you could see he's having fun. 

He is a very driven player.  I remember an article talking about him and Jeter getting together one evening and going back over to one of their apartments, and A-Rod wanting to play MLB 2009 (or whatever year it was), Jeter just looking at him and saying something like I don't have that, and A-Rod looking incredulous that a player could not be thinking about baseball in his off time.

Of course, I loved seeing again him getting called for slapping at Arroyo's glove in game 6, the umps (maybe Joe West) making the right call, and him whining.

agree to disagree.  i can see where you're coming from and i know a lot of people that feel that way. 

i think a lot of his teammates enjoy being on his team and it seems like he has developed a solid relationship with some of his teammates.  just my two cents. 

Offline NJ Ave

I can see A-Rod enjoying himself more during his decline phase than at his peak. In this way (and many others), he is like the Kobe Bryant of baseball. Preternaturally gifted at a young age, more concerned during their peaks with individual production than team accomplishments (partially due to A-Rod in Texas and Kobe sans Shaq being on undertalented teams) and ultimately more dependent on their teammates as they decline if they still want to win championships.

It's probably easier for A-Rod to have some fun if he's only expected to put up a .280/.360/.500 type season with decent defense at 3B. Same thing with Kobe if he can lean on Gasol a bit and get through some playoff games only scoring 20 points.

Online blue911

agree to disagree.  i can see where you're coming from and i know a lot of people that feel that way. 

i think a lot of his teammates enjoy being on his team and it seems like he has developed a solid relationship with some of his teammates.  just my two cents. 

In a world of full sleeve tats and chaw, Rodriguez frosts the tips of his hair. His teammates probably think he's gay.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Solis - 3.2IP, 4R, 4H, 3/3 K/BB

Peacock - 1IP, 0R, 1H, 2/0 K/BB

Offline Potomac Cannons

Lombardozzi 1-2, BB, RBI, started a DP.  Batting leadoff, playing 2B.

Offline imref

i'll be anyone a nickel that Harper goes yard tomorrow (opposite field for .10).

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Harper - 1/2, 1B

Norris - 1/2, HR, BB, 2RBI

Offline NATTY ICE

Harper strikes out swinging. Cut him.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Hell yea Norris.

harper went 2/4 and we need to switch norris to 1st base

Offline Upark25

Derek Norris is looking really really good.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
harper went 2/4 and we need to switch norris to 1st base

How come? A bat like his at catcher is a huge plus.  He reportedly made great strides in his catching this year.  I saw him play during the playoffs, and he seemed fully competent behind the plate.  Do you have recent observations or evidence, or are you basing your comment on old rep?