Author Topic: Collapse  (Read 3643 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Collapse
« Reply #50: October 13, 2012, 03:13:33 AM »
Gonzalez is the one that freaked up this game. He ruined the momentum by nibbling. I hate wussy ass pitchers that are afraid to throw strikes.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #51: October 13, 2012, 03:15:30 AM »
I'm just sorry for being a douche-bag optimist. This is my comeuppance.

:lmao:

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #52: October 13, 2012, 03:16:07 AM »
Gonzalez is the one that freaked up this game. He ruined the momentum by nibbling. I hate wussy ass pitchers that are afraid to throw strikes.

On Thursday night, Jim Joyce was calling everything in the same zip code as home plate a strike; on Friday night, Alfonso Marquez had a strike zone the size of a postage stamp.  That didn't help one bit.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #53: October 13, 2012, 03:30:52 AM »
No excuses for Gonzalez.

Also, Jackson really freaked up because he was the culprit for allowing the cardinals lineup to reset for the 9th inning.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #54: October 13, 2012, 03:35:26 AM »
No excuses for Gonzalez.

Also, Jackson really freaked up because he was the culprit for allowing the cardinals lineup to reset for the 9th inning.
No excuses for Gio, but he shouldn't have been in there for it to get to where it did. Remember what happened during the AL play-in game? Saunders looked a bit shaky to start off, so Showalter started warming up Steve Johnson. He didn't end up needing Johnson, but that is what the strategy should be in elimination games. If a guy looks like he doesn't have it, pull the plug.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #55: October 13, 2012, 03:41:01 AM »
^ Totally agree Vega. I would've pulled him once he got into hot water in the 5th. He could not throw strikes so it was pointless in an elimination game to leave him in there to see if he could regroup. It was clear he was not going to. We needed Gonzalez to pitch into the 7th inning and he totally failed.

Offline KingHarper

« Reply #56: October 13, 2012, 08:03:22 AM »
Gio showed his true colors this PS. Imagine him playing like this most of his starts next year; we might not even make the playoffs. We need to find Beane again and redo that trade

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #57: October 13, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »
It's not the most competitive anymore

Cardinals played in the worst division in baseball, played like ass for most of the year and had no business being in the playoffs

Cardinals didn't win that series, Nats lost it

How is it not?  Which sport is more competitve than baseball?  It's still the hardest to make.  Christ, everyone talks about how hard it is in football yet how many #6 seeds have actually gone to Super Bowls?  And then won?

And the NHL and NBA let everyone in the playoffs like some amatuer leagues.

So which sport is more difficult to make the playoffs?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #58: October 13, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »

ESPECIALLY WITH A SIX-RUN freakING LEAD

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #59: October 13, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »
Gio showed his true colors this PS. Imagine him playing like this most of his starts next year; we might not even make the playoffs. We need to find Beane again and redo that trade

This is a bit excessive.  Hopefully he's better next time (if there is a next time) when we aren't asking him to be an "ace."

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #60: October 13, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
It's not the most competitive anymore

Cardinals played in the worst division in baseball, played like ass for most of the year and had no business being in the playoffs

Cardinals didn't win that series, Nats lost it

Remember last year?  This same Cardinals team won the World Series.  They barely got into the playoffs as a wildcard, and that was thanks mostly to Atlanta's collapse.  But when the Cardinals need to come through, they do...plus some.  Texas almost eliminated them in the World Series, but they kept fighting and won it.  They're 6-0 in their last six elimination games.  Gotta give them some credit, because even though they sneak into the playoffs, they win when they have to.

And, yes, the Cardinals were the better team.  We had no situational hitting this series (I think the clear majority of our runs were on homers, all solo or 2-run shots) and pitching didn't hold up against the best offense in the league.  I wish we had played the Barves now, but oh well.  I hate this time of year, but at least we got an extra week-plus of baseball.  Four months till pitchers and catchers report...

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #61: October 13, 2012, 09:27:49 AM »
You're avatar makes me think of happier days.

It makes me sad.

How freaking long do I keep this for?  This was so totally worth it.   :?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #62: October 13, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »

And, yes, the Cardinals were the better team.]

All that needs to be said.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #63: October 13, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »
I blame letting Teddy win.  Never should've done it.  Ruined the mojo.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #64: October 13, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »
How freaking long do I keep this for?  This was so totally worth it.   :?

Change it

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #65: October 13, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »

100% agree. Go after the batter. He had a six run lead, but pitched like he was trying not to lose. Get aggressive and put them away.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #66: October 13, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
Apparently the biggest comeback in an elimination game in MLB history.

And you just had to know it was going to happen to us. Why couldn't we just lose like other teams? Our loss has to be in spectacular fashion. We will hear about this for years. I'm going to have a baseball hangover for a long time.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #67: October 13, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »
100% agree. Go after the batter. He had a six run lead, but pitched like he was trying not to lose. Get aggressive and put then away.

Yep.  The ump had a strike zone the size of a postage stamp, but the Cardinals adjusted nicely.  While our guys swing at everything in the same zip code as home plate, they were taking close balls and waiting for their pitches.  Their approach to hitting is so much better than ours. 

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #68: October 13, 2012, 09:49:41 AM »
And you just had to know it was going to happen to us. Why couldn't we just lose like other teams? Our loss has to be in spectacular fashion. We will hear about this for years. I'm going to have a baseball hangover for a long time.

Which is worse:  our loss or the Reds getting swept in three home games to lose their series after dominating the Giants in the first two games?  The Reds never lost three straight at home all season and they had the second-best record in baseball.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #69: October 13, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »
Which is worse:  our loss or the Reds getting swept in three home games to lose their series after dominating the Giants in the first two games?  The Reds never lost three straight at home all season and they had the second-best record in baseball.

They're both pretty bad, but I thinks ours was worse. We were one strike away. Brutal!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #70: October 13, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »
has davey said why he went with Jackson instead of Mattheus in the 7th?

Offline imref

« Reply #71: October 13, 2012, 10:12:02 AM »
They're both pretty bad, but I thinks ours was worse. We were one strike away. Brutal!

5 times.

Offline santanaf

« Reply #72: October 13, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »
I couldn't believe it, I woke up this morning and realized that not only had the world not ended, the Nationals had still lost the game.

I'm staring at a sheet of World Series tickets that are now just novelty collector's items, and a fading memory of the excitement and noise in the stadium while just 1 strike from the NLCS. I just don't know how a team or select players come back from this sort of thing. I know it happens, I just don't know how.

I'm not looking forward to next season, that'll need to wait until January.

At least the 3 lone Cards fans in our section were respectful and what you typically see from St. Louis fans. They were happy, but they knew it was crushing.

Offline imref

« Reply #73: October 13, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »
Michael Morse posted on facebook a few minutes ago:

Wow..still in shock. Didn't sleep much. Thanks to all the DC fans that made this year special. We'll rebound from this.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #74: October 13, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »

Yeah, I guess I'm still in shock because that hasn't fully sunk in with me yet.