Author Topic: the MLB Network thread.  (Read 45487 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: the MLB Network thread.
« Reply #25: November 22, 2008, 10:50:33 PM »
This is great.  I will have virtually no use for ESPN any more! :D

When the NCAA basketball season ends, I wonder how long I could go without watching ESPN.  Probably not long enough since I'll want to see coverage of the Caps and I don't get the NHL network any more. :(

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #26: November 23, 2008, 01:02:46 AM »
I think I will be watching this network a lot.  And by a lot I mean almost exclusively except for during football season and Thursday nights during the Office. 

If the launch at midnight on Jan 1, I might seriously consider staying home on new years just to see the first pitch...err the opening day...er to see the starting lineup ...er to see the very beginning of that network.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #27: November 23, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »

If the launch at midnight on Jan 1, I might seriously consider staying home on new years just to see the first pitch...err the opening day...er to see the starting lineup ...er to see the very beginning of that network.

:shock:  That's a bit much.

Offline blue911

« Reply #28: November 23, 2008, 10:03:32 AM »
How many cable companies are going to carry it?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #29: November 23, 2008, 10:28:26 AM »

Luckily I don't have to worry about that, I have DirecTV who is carrying it.

MrMadison

« Reply #30: November 23, 2008, 10:43:32 AM »

all the major ones, from what I know.

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: November 23, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
Luckily I don't have to worry about that, I have DirecTV who is carrying it.

The NFL had to sue Comcast over a similar product and the case is still tied up in court. And the NFL draws much better than MLB.

MrMadison

« Reply #32: November 23, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »
The NFL had to sue Comcast over a similar product and the case is still tied up in court. And the NFL draws much better than MLB.

MLB doesn't have that problem. Comcast is already on Board, as is Verizon Fios. this is one thing that MLB has NOT screwed up.

Carriage

The network has signed contracts with 36 cable and satellite carriers.[5] In a deal that may be copied by other sports league owned channels, MLB tied carriage of the MLB Network to the ability to carry the popular out of market MLB Extra Innings package. In return, cable and satellite providers were offered a minority share of the new network.

Offline blue911

« Reply #33: November 23, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »
MLB doesn't have that problem. Comcast is already on Board, as is Verizon Fios. this is one thing that MLB has NOT screwed up.

Well good luck to them.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: November 23, 2008, 11:07:20 AM »

:shock:  That's a bit much.
Yeah, you might be right, I'll may just set the DVR and watch it later.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #35: November 23, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
harold reynolds is awesome

Offline blue911

« Reply #36: November 23, 2008, 12:12:51 PM »
harold reynolds is awesome

If they can keep him from trying to hump every females leg.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: November 23, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »

MLB was smarter, they tied it to gameday- if you want to offer gameday, you have to offer it on basic tier. Direct TV has exclusive right to Sunday Ticket, so the NFL can't do the same thing.

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: November 23, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »
MLB was smarter, they tied it to gameday- if you want to offer gameday, you have to offer it on basic tier. Direct TV has exclusive right to Sunday Ticket, so the NFL can't do the same thing.

Thanks. I just knew that the NFL had too many hassles with their product.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #39: November 24, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »
Thanks. I just knew that the NFL had too many hassles with their product.

Not to mention the quality of their product is slowly dwindling.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: November 24, 2008, 09:14:22 AM »
Not to mention the quality of their product is slowly dwindling.

I really think that has a lot to do with a salary cap - no great dynasties and a lot of mediocre to crappy teams

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #41: November 24, 2008, 09:18:51 AM »
I really think that has a lot to do with a salary cap - no great dynasties and a lot of mediocre to crappy teams

No.  I really think it's turned into a league of "just throw/give the ball to your biggest guy and watch him go," kinda league now.  Reminds me of the games I used to play in my back yard when nobody could cover Paul because he was 6'6" and the next tallest guy was 6'1" (and he was the quarterback).  It also reminds me of why I stopped watching the NBA.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: November 24, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »
No.  I really think it's turned into a league of "just throw/give the ball to your biggest guy and watch him go," kinda league now.  Reminds me of the games I used to play in my back yard when nobody could cover Paul because he was 6'6" and the next tallest guy was 6'1" (and he was the quarterback).  It also reminds me of why I stopped watching the NBA.

I miss the Cowboy teams of the early 90s. I hated them, but they were fun to watch. Same for the 49er teams.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #43: November 24, 2008, 09:30:50 AM »
The NBA's general lack of and selective enforcement of rules makes it suck even worse

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #44: November 24, 2008, 09:42:32 AM »
I don't see this at all.  The schemes have gotten so complex over the past decade or so that such simplicity is virtually impossible.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #45: November 24, 2008, 09:58:11 AM »
I don't see this at all.  The schemes have gotten so complex over the past decade or so that such simplicity is virtually impossible.

Did you watch the Patriots/Dolphins game yesterday?  Or do you watch any Giants games?

MrMadison

« Reply #46: November 24, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Did you watch the Patriots/Dolphins game yesterday?  Or do you watch any Giants games?

don't hate on Brandon Jacobs.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #47: November 24, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »
don't hate on Brandon Jacobs.  :icon_mrgreen:

Not hating on him, just supporting my argument............  O.K., I am hating on him, but only because I hate the Giants in general.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #48: November 24, 2008, 10:06:01 AM »
Back on topic though, I am really excited about the MLB network and I am curous to see how they'll handle the media lovefest with those two teams from the Northeast.  Do we think the MLB Network will give equal coverage to all 30 teams, or are we looking at NE-Y-ESPN 3?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #49: November 24, 2008, 10:12:47 AM »
Back on topic though, I am really excited about the MLB network and I am curous to see how they'll handle the media lovefest with those two teams from the Northeast.  Do we think the MLB Network will give equal coverage to all 30 teams, or are we looking at NE-Y-ESPN 3?

If they are anything like mlb radio, I think that they will be more balanced than ESPN, but the Sox, Yankees, Mets, and Cubs will always get a bit more coverage because of the size of their fan bases and the associated story lines