Author Topic: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 2  (Read 20642 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #50: April 14, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »
So how come no one has started up a YNOT?  There were points of the summer last year where that was the only thing keeping me watching.

I said I'll have one for the homestand coming up Friday.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #51: April 14, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »
Washington Nationals (3-4, 3-4 in NL East)
CF Nyjer Morgan
RF Willie Harris
SS Cristian Guzman
1B Adam Dunn
LF Josh Willingham
2B Adam Kennedy
C Ivan Rodriguez
3B Alberto Gonzalez

could they have come up with a worse lineup? Maybe Riggleman should have given Dunn and Willingham a day off, so we could remember this as the worst the team has fielded
What is so bad about it exactly?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #52: April 14, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »

Harris hitting 2nd. 

Guzman hitting 3rd.

Gonzalez hitting at all.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #53: April 14, 2010, 04:11:57 PM »
Harris hitting 2nd. 

Guzman hitting 3rd.

Gonzalez hitting at all.
What would you do given who we have though?

As for Guzman 3rd, I thought you were supposed to have your best hitter third.  He's got a hot bat right now.  Hammer would be better though.

No, it's not an ideal line up, but what else can we do?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #54: April 14, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »

As for Guzman 3rd, I thought you were supposed to have your best hitter third.  He's got a hot bat right now.

No, it's not an ideal line up, but what else can we do?

I liked the idea of benching Dunn, Hammer and Rodriguez as well so we can just call this a mulligan.

Personally, I think consistency is better than trying to predict "who's hot and who's not" and adjust accordingly.  I'd put Rodriguez 2nd and leave him there and if Zimm is out I'd put Hammer 3rd (move him back to #5 when Zimm's back).

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #55: April 14, 2010, 04:14:51 PM »

With the way Morgan and Kennedy have been hitting and the pitcher the only people in that line-up that aren't automatic outs are Dunn, Willingham, and Pudge. It is just giving a pitcher that we roughed up last time an easy day. This one could get ugly fast. If the Nationals win this game I will give up coffee for another additional week.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #56: April 14, 2010, 04:15:43 PM »
With the way Morgan and Kennedy have been hitting and the pitcher the only people in that line-up that aren't automatic outs are Dunn, Willingham, and Pudge. It is just giving a pitcher that we roughed up last time an easy day. This one could get ugly fast. If the Nationals win this game I will give up coffee for another additional week.

If you keep up these pledges you'll kick that coffee habit in no time.

Offline MDoyle

• UMW 2010
« Reply #57: April 14, 2010, 04:16:30 PM »
I said I'll have one for the homestand coming up Friday.

My bad, didn't see that.  Looking forward to it.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #58: April 14, 2010, 04:17:40 PM »
If you keep up these pledges you'll kick that coffee habit in no time.

Brian McCann made me eat salad for a week last year. I bet my friend that he would hit a two run double and he bet me it would be a 3U. Well it was a 3U and I ate salad for a week.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #59: April 14, 2010, 04:18:27 PM »
Brian McCann made me eat salad for a week last year. I bet my friend that he would hit a two run double and he bet me it would be a 3U. Well it was a 3U and I ate salad for a week.
That's an odd bet.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #60: April 14, 2010, 04:19:29 PM »
That's an odd bet.

My friend is a Braves fan and they were slumping at the time and I felt we were more inept and he disagreed.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #61: April 14, 2010, 04:20:18 PM »
My friend is a Braves fan and they were slumping at the time and I felt we were more inept and he disagreed.
lol

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #62: April 14, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »
I guess I don't understand why they don't have Kennedy play 3rd, Harris play 2nd and Bernadina play RF? That way, you'd have an extra left handed bat in the lineup and you wouldn't be using Alberto Gonzalez for anything.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #63: April 14, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
Why is Alberto Gonzalez on this f'n team.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #64: April 14, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »
Why is Desmond out?  Why not Guz at either 2B or 3B and Kennedy at the other?  Has Guz been that terrible at 2B?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #65: April 14, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
Zimm out, Desmond out...  so much for that gift.

What's with all the off days for Desmond? If there is one guy who needs to get into a day-to-day routine, it is Desmond. Guzman batting 3rd makes me puke.

Edited. Guzman lost his starting job, yet after tonight, he'll have more ABs than Desmond. Crazy.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #66: April 14, 2010, 04:31:45 PM »

that would be the problem- we have no orginizational depth.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #67: April 14, 2010, 04:37:21 PM »
Honestly, I know Desmond hasn't gotten a hit since Saturday ... but it's not like he's going up and k'ing each time up at the dish.  I'm a bit shocked he isn't in the line-up tonight. 

In Sunday's game he got robbed of a hit at least twice (nice plays by Wright and Francouer) and Monday while he did strike out twice, his at bats weren't all that bad or anything.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #68: April 14, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »
Honestly, I know Desmond hasn't gotten a hit since Saturday ... but it's not like he's going up and k'ing each time up at the dish.  I'm a bit shocked he isn't in the line-up tonight. 

In Sunday's game he got robbed of a hit at least twice (nice plays by Wright and Francouer) and Monday while he did strike out twice, his at bats weren't all that bad or anything.

Maybe riggleman thinks he'll get better watching Guzman's vetran approach at the plate

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #69: April 14, 2010, 04:47:34 PM »
Honestly, I know Desmond hasn't gotten a hit since Saturday ... but it's not like he's going up and k'ing each time up at the dish.  I'm a bit shocked he isn't in the line-up tonight.  

It doesn't really matter to me what he has been doing. The whole idea was to play the kid this season and see what he could do. It's one thing to give him a day off after playing 6 games in a row or something, but the season is just starting, and this is the second week where the team has had a day off after a home opener. So over a ten day stretch, he will have started in 6 games. They're looking for consistency out of him, and in order to do that, he needs to play consistently. Four games in a row followed by two days off doesn't do that.

I certainly hope that this is just an early season attempt to get everyone involved. They should have taken an extra week or two of Spring Training with this bunch.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #70: April 14, 2010, 04:52:16 PM »
It doesn't really matter to me what he has been doing. The whole idea was to play the kid this season and see what he could do. It's one thing to give him a day off after playing 6 games in a row or something, but the season is just starting, and this is the second week where the team has had a day off after a home opener. So over a ten day stretch, he will have started in 6 games. They're looking for consistency out of him, and in order to do that, he needs to play consistently. Four games in a row followed by two days off doesn't do that.

I certainly hope that this is just an early season attempt to get everyone involved. They should have taken an extra week or two of Spring Training with this bunch.

I, too, am trying to figure out why they would give him an off day. 

I think it's just trying to get everyone involved.  Remember Guzman missed some time in spring and has been swinging a good bat recently, maybe they are trying to get him ABs anywhere in the line-up.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #71: April 14, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »
Why is Alberto Gonzalez on this f'n team.
                I am soo glad you said that. I have been trying to figure that out since Opening Day. He has no idea where the strike zone is located, and I do not think defensively he is "all that".  :bang:
So my question is -who is he related to or who owes him a favor that they brought him back, or to put it more plainly  -who was the idiot that had this bright idea.........

Offline blue911

« Reply #72: April 14, 2010, 05:18:20 PM »
Where the hell is Roger Bernadina?

Why would you play Gonzalez ahead of Desmond? Scratch that, Why would you play Gonzalez at all?

Why not play Harris at 3rd,Desmond at short and Guz at second. Kennedy is threatening Ray Oyler at this point.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #73: April 14, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
Batting orders are overrated, but I'd shift Pudge to 3d, drop Guz to 6th, and A-Gon 9th. Why not try it? You'd go L-L-R-L-R-S-L-pitcher-R.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #74: April 14, 2010, 05:52:20 PM »
You can't have Willingham bat 3rd or else Dunn wouldn't see any pitches at all. Here is something Ideal to me.

Morgan
Harris
Dunn
Willingham
Pudge
Guzman
Kennedy
Stammen
Gonzalez