Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF  (Read 22416 times)

Offline Potomac Cannons

Re: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF
« Reply #50: November 12, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
Eury off to a really nice start in the DWL.  11 for 20.  .550/.571/.600.  10 games but only 20 AB.  5/6 SB.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #51: November 12, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »
He reaches base 12 times and steals 5 bases... that's kind of insane. That's a pace for like 90 stolen bases in a full season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #52: November 12, 2010, 03:14:37 PM »
He did have 64 SB's last year.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #53: November 12, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »
He reaches base 12 times and steals 5 bases... that's kind of insane. That's a pace for like 90 stolen bases in a full season.

Yep.  He put up 64/77 SB at Hagerstown last year with only 491 PA.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #54: November 12, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »
I know he's young and has a ways to go, but just how far away is Perez? If he can put up solid defense is he any worse than Justin Maxwell?

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #55: November 12, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »
I know he's young and has a ways to go, but just how far away is Perez? If he can put up solid defense is he any worse than Justin Maxwell?

He's likely going to be at A+ Potomac this year so we'll have a better idea then.  Haven't seen him so I have no idea on the defense.  Still only 20 so there's plenty of time.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #56: April 14, 2011, 11:41:32 AM »
Don't want to alarm anyone... but does anyone see Carlos Gomez as a good comparison to Eury?

Hopefully Eury can hit better... but their games seem similar to me.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #57: April 14, 2011, 11:54:16 AM »
Don't want to alarm anyone... but does anyone see Carlos Gomez as a good comparison to Eury?

It doesn't really alarm me.  Eury will pan out or he won't but he's not a Danny Espinosa or a Bryce Harper where I am COUNTING on him to pan out.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #58: April 14, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
Doesn't alarm me either.  I never pay attention to comps, each player is unique.  Right now the only thing that has me worried about Perez is that he won't beat out as many infield singles as he rises in the ranks.  Other than that, the guy is an extremely tough out at the plate, is a terror on the basepaths, and plays amazing defense.  He is promising, but sure, each prospect has a good chance of failing somewhere along the line.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #59: April 14, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
Well, I wouldn't be "scared" of a Carlos Gomez comp, since Eury likely won't strike out as much. I mean, Carlos Gomez sans 25% K rate is basically a 2-2.5 win player over a full season in CF (mostly due to defense and positional adjustment, obviously). That's a fairly valuable player at $500,000 a year while under team control, right?

They can't all be Jim Edmonds or Grady Sizemore. The world needs ditchdiggers, too.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #60: April 14, 2011, 12:04:10 PM »

I forgot CarGo is Carlos Gonzalez and not Gomez so I was :confused:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #61: April 14, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
Well, I wouldn't be "scared" of a Carlos Gomez comp, since Eury likely won't strike out as much. I mean, Carlos Gomez sans 25% K rate is basically a 2-2.5 win player over a full season in CF (mostly due to defense and positional adjustment, obviously). That's a fairly valuable player at $500,000 a year while under team control, right?

They can't all be Jim Edmonds or Grady Sizemore. The world needs ditchdiggers, too.

That's kind of what I was saying.

Gomez has his uses... but he's not the star some thought he'd be. I could see Perez becoming that type of player. A guy that has a couple of years as the starting CF'er for a contending level ballclub.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #62: April 14, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
That's kind of what I was saying.

Gomez has his uses... but he's not the star some thought he'd be. I could see Perez becoming that type of player. A guy that has a couple of years as the starting CF'er for a contending level ballclub.
It's not like anyone is projecting Eury Perez as a star though.  Just a potentially nice leadoff hitter in center field.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #63: April 14, 2011, 12:17:29 PM »
so - basically what everyone wanted nyjer to be?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #64: April 14, 2011, 12:22:26 PM »
so - basically what everyone wanted nyjer to be?
Right, and if Nyjer had been that player we would have been more than happy with him.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #65: April 14, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
Right, and if Nyjer had been that player we would have been more than happy with him.

Except Eury is about 10 years younger than Nyjer. I just hope Eury plays good defense, can get on base and be a legit threat to steal at any time. If he doesn't succeed, it will be by no means a huge failure, disappointment maybe, but that's all.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #66: April 14, 2011, 02:41:02 PM »

Winner.  Gomez was at a more advanced level at every age, but otherwise, the rates are quite similar.

Age  Level PAs  BB HRs
Gomez         18     RK   239   7   1
Perez           18   DSL   267  32  4

Gomez          19     A    539  32  8
Perez            19    RK   205  15  3

Gomez           20    AA   486  27  7
Perez             20     A   491  23   3

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #67: May 24, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »
Eury's got off to a slow start this year and had an injury but now seems to be picking up where he left off from last year. Hitting .512 BA w/ a 1.159 OPS in his last ten games. The main thing Eury needs to get better at right now is taking walks(only 2 on the year).

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #68: May 24, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »
At the very least I think he'll make the roster someday. He could be like the Dyson guy for the Royals. He may only hover around the Mendoza line, but he is definitely useful to a team. Speed kills and if we're building a small ball team, he'd have an even bigger role in the NL than Dyson has for the Royals in the AL.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #69: May 24, 2011, 05:56:32 PM »
At the very least I think he'll make the roster someday. He could be like the Dyson guy for the Royals. He may only hover around the Mendoza line, but he is definitely useful to a team. Speed kills and if we're building a small ball team, he'd have an even bigger role in the NL than Dyson has for the Royals in the AL.

I don't think we're building a small ball team, I think we're just using what little we have which happens to be conducive to small ball. Anybody know what kind of arm Perez has? Basically I see a Nyjer like player but a better defender and base stealer.

Offline natstime

« Reply #70: May 24, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »
I don't think we're building a small ball team, I think we're just using what little we have which happens to be conducive to small ball. Anybody know what kind of arm Perez has? Basically I see a Nyjer like player but a better defender and base stealer.

He looked like a big strong kid from that one spring training game he got into.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #71: May 24, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »
He looked like a big strong kid from that one spring training game he got into.

6' 180lbs... Not too big, but I reckon he could be solidly built. Any reason to suspect that he may develop some doubles/triples power? I don't see him as a home run hitter, but a guy that can still gather xbh w/o relying solely on speed?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #72: May 26, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »
• The Nationals' previous regime left the organization's international program in shambles, but one bright spot has been center fielder Eury Perez. Though he's a free-swinging slap hitter with little power, Perez puts the ball in play and takes advantage of his plus-plus speed, which is why he's hitting .346/.363/.411 through 29 games with 15 steals in 18 attempts for high Class A Potomac. Perez, who turns 21 on Monday, went 2-for-2 with a double yesterday and drew his third walk of the year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/05/daily-dish-jurickson-profar-paying-off-for-rangers/

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #74: May 27, 2011, 07:21:22 AM »
The Yankees have an OF named Gardner who can field, hit OK, and mostly is fast as lightning. He's effective, even without power. If Perez is becoming a Gardner-like player, all I say is "let's hope he gets to Washington soon".