Author Topic: Neil Armstrong Dead at 82  (Read 1742 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Neil Armstrong Dead at 82
« Reply #25: August 28, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »
My mom had just had her dive tanks inspected and filled and they were still in the car when the news started to get out about the Air Florida crash.  As I recall she actually started to gather up her heavy wetsuit, hood, booties, etc when she realised that by the time she fought her way down Connecticut Avenue through the snow and traffic there was zero chance of there being any survivors left in the water.  Our street hadn't been plowed (DC in the 80s...not sure it ever did get plowed), so she probably wouldn't have made it more than a block or two before getting stuck anyways.   

Downtown was a massive cluster freak. Remember the subway was closed due to a fatal accident.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #26: August 28, 2012, 12:20:46 PM »
Being stuck on the moon would be a crazy way to go. You'd not only be the first person there (or one of) but the first person to die on the moon. I would definitely go exploring for the first hour or two. Then I would probably take off my helmet and accept it.

I still can't believe people were on the moon. I'm extremely jealous.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: August 28, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
Downtown was a massive cluster freak. Remember the subway was closed due to a fatal accident.

Silver Spring to Oxon Hill - 7 hours.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #28: August 28, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
Silver Spring to Oxon Hill - 7 hours.

I was one or two trains ahead of the accident at Federal Triangle.   I got home and found out about both accidents.