Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 2  (Read 37985 times)

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 2
« Reply #400: September 15, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »
LOL, that chart is awesome

Thanks, I just made it myself with an export from Fangraphs.

Any other access nerds in the house?  I can query just about anything you would want to know, now :D

Edit: And no, I don't know who team "- - -" is.  Maybe players who got traded during the season?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #401: September 15, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »
Thanks, I just made it myself with an export from Fangraphs.

Any other access nerds in the house?  I can query just about anything you would want to know, now :D

Edit: And no, I don't know who team "- - -" is.  Maybe players who got traded during the season?

Yeah, it's really cool, thanks for posting

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #402: September 15, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
I left after like the five millionth chop. Ughh

I was thisclose to turning my radio off several times during this match.

Offline PC

« Reply #403: September 15, 2012, 07:58:26 PM »
Umps still suck but I bet Braves fans are saying that this is penance for what happened earlier in the year with a blown call in favor of the Nats.

Which blown call are you talking about?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #404: September 15, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
God dammit just the thought that this is a possible preview of the post season just kills me.

It isn't. We won't dick around with tryouts and AAAA pitchers in the post season.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #405: September 15, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »
You guys can complain about the umps all you want, but the truth is this game falls on the coaching staff.

First off, Davey should know better than to get tossed out of a game. He's supposed to be the one with old timey wisdom and guile. He should also know better than to argue with the ump. The only legit play he had was to ask the first base ump to consult with the home plate umpire to  ensure the call.

Second, McCatty came out one batter too late. Your pitcher is obviously angry and pitching on it. McCatty needed to come out and calm him down. Failure.

Third, Mattheus never should have been in that game. That's the second game that we've not used our best reliever available and it cost us the game.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #406: September 15, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »
To paraphrase Jim Hartley, author of "Washington's Expansion Senators": it takes more than loyalty to be a Washington baseball fan. It takes raw courage.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #407: September 15, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »
That blown call most certainly cost the Nats at least 1 run, which, of course, is how many runs the Nats lost by. but whether or not people think the umps cost the Nats the game is irrelevant. The ultimate outcome is not the primary concern here.

This is a pennant race. It is completely unacceptable for an umpire to blow a call in that manner. How do you determine from the exact wrong angle that he wasn't on the base? How do you NOT ask for help in that instance? How is it possible that you could blow a call so profoundly and think it would be ok with the players or the manager or anyone spending their hard earned money watching that disgraceful dreck? Where was the rest of your freaktard crew? How could they just sit there and watch you BLOW a call so blatantly?

The only thing that matters is getting the call right. That is the ONLY thing that matters. If you're not going to hire competent employees and hold them accountable, then get off your ass and get replay!

Pathetically incompetent ego maniacs. It's freaking sickening

Offline PC

« Reply #408: September 15, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »
You guys can complain about the umps all you want, but the truth is this game falls on the coaching staff.

First off, Davey should know better than to get tossed out of a game. He's supposed to be the one with old timey wisdom and guile. He should also know better than to argue with the ump. The only legit play he had was to ask the first base ump to consult with the home plate umpire to  ensure the call.

Second, McCatty came out one batter too late. Your pitcher is obviously angry and pitching on it. McCatty needed to come out and calm him down. Failure.

Third, Mattheus never should have been in that game. That's the second game that we've not used our best reliever available and it cost us the game.

And you're wrong on every account because you gloss over the making of an obvious blown call by the umpire from Marietta, GA.

That one play changed everything from that point on.  It's the rotten seed from which all the other rot bloomed.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #409: September 15, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »
Mattheus, Burnett, it really doesn't matter. If these are the relievers we are going to sink or swim with we are in trouble. Why isn't Davey taking any chances by using Storen/Clip in these spots like the Braves are doing with their stud relievers?

Facing Mattheus, Burnett, Stammen, etc doesn't scare you if you are an opposing hitter.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #410: September 15, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »
And you're wrong on every account because you gloss over the making of an obvious blown call by the umpire from Marietta, GA.

That one play changed everything from that point on.  It's the rotten seed from which all the other rot bloomed.

Ump threw the home run ball? Nope. That was on Jackson. Sorry, but blown calls happen in sports. Davey got thrown out arguing over a call that won't be changed. Ever. McCatty came out too late to calm down Jackson. Davey wasn't there to manage the bullpen like he's supposedly good at when the game was on the line.

Fact is that, despite that blown call, that game was very winnable.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #411: September 15, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »
Ump threw the home run ball? Nope. That was on Jackson. Sorry, but blown calls happen in sports. Davey got thrown out arguing over a call that won't be changed. Ever. McCatty came out too late to calm down Jackson. Davey wasn't there to manage the bullpen like he's supposedly good at when the game was on the line.

Nats had plenty of chances, but let's not pretend that blown call wasn't HUGE

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #412: September 15, 2012, 09:58:14 PM »
i'm wondering why Lombo didn't bunt once Perez was on third, even with 2 strikes.  It wasn't as if anyone was catching up to Kimbrel's fastball, so why not try a suicide squeeze?

Online imref

« Reply #413: September 15, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »

this.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #414: September 15, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
That blown call most certainly cost the Nats at least 1 run, which, of course, is how many runs the Nats lost by. but whether or not people think the umps cost the Nats the game is irrelevant. The ultimate outcome is not the primary concern here.

This is a pennant race. It is completely unacceptable for an umpire to blow a call in that manner. How do you determine from the exact wrong angle that he wasn't on the base? How do you NOT ask for help in that instance? How is it possible that you could blow a call so profoundly and think it would be ok with the players or the manager or anyone spending their hard earned money watching that disgraceful dreck? Where was the rest of your freaktard crew? How could they just sit there and watch you BLOW a call so blatantly?

The only thing that matters is getting the call right. That is the ONLY thing that matters. If you're not going to hire competent employees and hold them accountable, then get off your ass and get replay!

Pathetically incompetent ego maniacs. It's freaking sickening

+1.

Too eloquent NOT to be repeated.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #415: September 15, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »
i'm wondering why Lombo didn't bunt once Perez was on third, even with 2 strikes.  It wasn't as if anyone was catching up to Kimbrel's fastball, so why not try a suicide squeeze?

Because he's just as likely to miss and Perez is dead at home and now you have no chance to tie

Online imref

« Reply #416: September 15, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
Dammit, Lombo.

who would you like to have up less than two outs, man on third?  MOORE!  dumbass baseball people

i was fine with Moore.  The fact of the matter is that Kimbrel is virtually unhittable right now.

Online imref

« Reply #417: September 15, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »
Because he's just as likely to miss and Perez is dead at home and now you have no chance to tie

maybe a safety squeeze?  After the last two nights, it's pretty obvious we can't hit Kimbrel's fastball.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #418: September 15, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
maybe a safety squeeze?  After the last two nights, it's pretty obvious we can't hit Kimbrel's fastball.

Meh, Kimbrell's blown saves, including 1 to us and 1 not too long ago against Philly and Tracey hit him tonight.

He's very good, but anyone can get beat.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #419: September 15, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »
Not sure this tidbit has been noted elsewhere BUT Espinosa has gone 0-8 with only eight K's the last two games.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #420: September 15, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »
Which blown call are you talking about?

I can't remember because the Nats won, but I remember Braves fans being up in arms about a call I think during either the 2-2 split series with the blow out game or the series in Nats Park shortly after.

As for this being a winnable game, it was.  I don't think Mattheus is a bad pitcher.  He has been quite good all season and usually works out of those jams.  He just didn't have it tonight.  After two men got on, it should have been clear that he wasn't clicking tonight but hindsight is always 50-50.

Still in first place and still have time to pick it up.  It's not like the team is being blown out by clown teams (Astros, Cubs) so given the amount of time left, the Nats still have more games than the magic number so clinching shouldn't come down to the last game.

This team has a strong makeup and losses like this don't beat them down.  They have tons of resiliency and have shown it so I expect them to get back on the horse and play 110% for Gio tomorrow to get number 20.

Also, I'm glad Davey got tossed because if he didn't go out there, LaRoche would have been.  Jackson probably would have been tossed too, and I have to think that the home run he gave up was due to being pissed off and probably over pitching.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #421: September 15, 2012, 10:13:02 PM »
i was fine with Moore.  The fact of the matter is that Kimbrel is virtually unhittable right now.

Oh, I wasn't being very clear.  I was angry that Lombo got the start over Moore, today.

Lombo was touted earlier in the season as being the one guy you want up with a man on third, less than two outs by "organizational sources".  Then he swings at an unhittable pitch with the game on the line.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #422: September 15, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »

Nats had plenty of chances, but let's not pretend that blown call wasn't HUGE

I agree it was huge. But it he didn't walk up and put the ball on tee for Heyward. He didn't make Mattheus throw balls. The Nats lost that game, not the umps.

It's not like anyone else can

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #423: September 15, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
I was 100% behind Davey getting thrown out there too. Once freaktard Hudson refused to ask for help (indefensible) as a manger you HAVE to make your stand

You cannot stand by and accept so blatantly a blown call at such a critical time, particularly when the umpire is an incompetent ego maniac. Hudson's refusal to do the one simple thing he should have immediately done to get the call right, is simply unacceptable.

Good for Davey for standing up for his guys.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #424: September 15, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »
I agree it was huge. But it he didn't walk up and put the ball on tee for Heyward. He didn't make Mattheus throw balls. The Nats lost that game, not the umps.

Of course not, but that blown call had an impact and that's unacceptable.

I can totally live with my team sucking and losing, I don't like it, but I can live with it.  Having the course of a baseball game negatively impacted by incompetent officiating is galling on every level.

It's the HUBRIS from the jackasses who are paid to GET THE CALL RIGHT yet simply refuse to, that I cannot abide by.

Nor should I